Quantcast

Happy Birthday MARINES!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
It's that time of year when all of us who have served in the Corps, whether we liked it or not, are reminded of the rich history and valor of America's 911 force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps
The United States Marine Corps traces its institutional roots to the Continental Marines of the American Revolutionary War, formed at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, by a resolution of the Second Continental Congress on November 10, 1775, to raise 2 battalions of Marines. That date is regarded and celebrated as the date of the Marine Corps' "birthday". At the end of the American Revolution, both the Continental Navy and Continental Marines were disbanded in April of 1783. Although individual Marines stayed on for the few American naval vessels left, the last Continental Marine was discharged in September 1783. The institution itself would not be resurrected until 1798. In that year, in preparation for the Naval War with France, Congress created the United States Navy and Marine Corps.

Last edited:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If it means anything, I did the Devil Pup program back in the day.

edit: I forgot to mention that it was probably one of the best experiences in my life. Drive, discipline, responsibility, accountability, ambition, honor, integrity, flexibility, creativity, teamwork and discipline was strongly enforced and remains with me today.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You should come work for the state :) I get tomorrow off
I know, the whole Military Department is closed for the day. My friend called me this morning to ask what I was doing.

That's when I decided I would take it, but is should be a given for vets.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Happy B-day Jar Heads!

One of the inter-service envies I have is that the Marines have such great traditions...in the AF our greatest tradition is the mid morning coffe break and finding ways to skinny out of work early...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
it's been 7 years but i miss it every once in a while. well, i miss my buddies more than anything and keeping in touch is hard. i started this thread because today, an old friend somehow got my cell # and texted me a "happy b-day marine" greeting. kind of brought up some old memories and emotions.

the last time i ever saw that ship and my last flight, 1 week before getting out.

i wish i had thought ahead better, i'd love to go to a birthday ball tonight...my dress blues still fit me, much to my surprise ;)

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have some great photos of both the Navy day and Marine Corps Birthday this year from Bagram. Wish I could post them.