Quantcast

Hard to find fasteners

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Alright, so I'm looking for those little threaded studs you see at the bottom of a lot of Manitou thru axle forks - Its a little steel dowel with one or two perpendicular threaded holes going in the side of them. They use them so that they don't have to thread the magneseum. Anyway, I am in need of some myself, but I can't find them anywhere nor do I know their actual trade name.
I've gone through McMaster Carr and they don't appear to have them, also tried www.smallparts.com and got nothin.
Anybody know of any other massive online parts distributors, or the name of what I'm looking for?
Thanks a bunch,
Greg

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Make them....

Tap and Die set.....a steel bolt (one with a smooth shaft the right diameter...a hack saw....a drill...a vice...some patience.

May take some time but it would work.

Rhino

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I could make them no problem - I work in a machine shop. The fact of the matter is, I have a lot of other stuff to make and little hardware bits are always just annoying and bothersome. I'd rather just buy them if I can, plus that makes things easier to replace.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i believe a kid here got them from the LBS. i was always scared of losing, stripping, or breaking one of those things.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Spitfired said:
Alright, so I'm looking for those little threaded studs you see at the bottom of a lot of Manitou thru axle forks - Its a little steel dowel with one or two perpendicular threaded holes going in the side of them. They use them so that they don't have to thread the magneseum. Anyway, I am in need of some myself, but I can't find them anywhere nor do I know their actual trade name.
I've gone through McMaster Carr and they don't appear to have them, also tried www.smallparts.com and got nothin.
Anybody know of any other massive online parts distributors, or the name of what I'm looking for?
Thanks a bunch,
Greg
This may be obvious but did you try the answer website for the exploded parts diagrams in the service guides.

http://www.answerproducts.com/serviceguides.asp

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
DRB - Thanks, good idea. However, I didn't see any parts diagrams, just some "assemblies" which were just pictures of the items on a table. Didn't see any parts lists either. I was looking through the Sherman documents.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Spitfired said:
DRB - Thanks, good idea. However, I didn't see any parts diagrams, just some "assemblies" which were just pictures of the items on a table. Didn't see any parts lists either. I was looking through the Sherman documents.
Which fork specifically?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I just did the "all" option.
Anyway, I called them. He seemed to think it was somthing they were having made, and the part name was "Thru axle clamp nut" or somthing, so unfortunately that doesn't really help.
I know Nicolai uses the things on some of their newer frames at the main pivot. Now, if only I spoke Deutsch...

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
fastenal greg. ride at BHTL rd and W. henrietta.

if they don't have it, they'll make it. nice people. they probably have it.