Quantcast

Hard to pick Stems and Headset

UNITH

Chimp
May 11, 2005
Can anyone help me figure out which stem i should focus on? i have been looking at the Raceface Diabolus, Thomson X4 Stem, and Tru Vativ Hussefelt and Holzfeller Stems. Which of these is more of a fit for a 6'1 279 lbs. rider on a 06 HOO KOO E KOO. While i was thinking of switching components, thought it would be a great time to get a new headset. Looking at Chris King Steel Headset, do you guys think that the steel would be too big or long for the 06 HKEK? Please make suggestions or give thoughts. Thanks

I would suggest you go with the Thompson X4, what size diamiter bar are you using, also, the chris king steel set would also not be a good idea, because its more of a DH FR bike type of headset, but you cant go wrong by going with the chris king no-thread set, they last for ever, iand i think they have a 10 year warranty, but im not 100% sure,
so ya i would uggest Thompson stem , and the regular no-hreadset chris king head set, because the steel set is heavier, and i dont think its meant for XC bikes like yours, and you can pick cool colors on the headset

ya definetly go with the X4 stem, im planning on getting one for my FisherCake 2DLX, BTW how do you like your bike. but ya, i would get a king headset in a heartbeat, if i wasnt spending my money on new tires and a new BB.
hope you enjoy the bike,
also the regular 1 1/8nch king no-threadset, is alot lighter, which would work well with your XC bike:)

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
Regardless of which stem you get, you will need to consider your ride position in conjunction with your bar and stem angle.I would suggest you sit on as many bikes as you can and see which configuration fits you the best. After determining the best fit, then go out and find a stem that will comply with your needs.

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
i really like the truvativ bar and stem 31.8 hussefelt. im not a big guy but i like wide risers and stiff stems. the race face are good quality also i dont have any eperience with thompson stems

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I have never used the truvative stems but I have used the race face and the thompson.I would prefer the thompson x4 but it depends what lenght you want.any king headset rocks you just need to decide the strenght you need.The steelset king is heavyduty and you may not need it on that type of bike unless you really ride it in rough stuff and are a bigger guy.Have you had trouble with the headset you haveon the fisher?

UNITH

Chimp
May 11, 2005
capt.crispy said:
I have never used the truvative stems but I have used the race face and the thompson.I would prefer the thompson x4 but it depends what lenght you want.any king headset rocks you just need to decide the strenght you need.The steelset king is heavyduty and you may not need it on that type of bike unless you really ride it in rough stuff and are a bigger guy.Have you had trouble with the headset you haveon the fisher?
Nope, but just thought if I was changing my stem should switch out my headset too

weel this thread is old, but, if you have no problems with your headset now, dont change it, the stem and the headset, are in no way conected. its easyier to change just a stem, then the whole chabang. If the headset is not smooth, or want a bling headset, that will last for ever, get a king no-thread set, its light to, so it will fit your cross country bike:)