Quantcast

****Hardcore Sunderping GMT****

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Spent a bigly portion of yesterday working on my FIL's shed, hanging soffit and fascia board. Twas a step in the right direction, but man has he managed to drag that project out. This is month 4 of building it...

Now, its off to ride with the RM crew.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fun, small bday party yesterday. Maybe bike ride today. Neighbor got me a 6-pack of CBD sparkling water, of which I drank half. Slept like a fucking rock for the first time in ages. Might be onto something there...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Upper body is weak this morning after downing 30 trees. Now need to Fargo all those branches. Fun stuff.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
slept like a brick in the camper last night, Espresso, eggs and bacon this morning . After that I will take the quarter mile walk from the RV campground over to the show grounds where I will get paid for hanging out with friends until 3pm.

So nice to wake up knowing that on January 20th we will be freed from the Orange Assholes Tyranny

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Those soft fluffy kittens will come in useful.
Self-cleaning butt towels! Amazing this new technology is

I am at work. Worked 5-10 PM last night (elective, extra pay), working 7A-5P today (covering the co-worker who injured her eye as per yesterday's post). Being in the hospital at 10 PM and then back at 7 AM is suboptimal, I must say.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Costco here has none. God speed.
my dad has always been a horder of tp....he had a shit ton of it pre pandemic....

i laugh every time i go with him to his storage building.....he is like....just shut the fuck up and move that....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Is this the thread where we report on how much toilet paper we have? Because we're in good shape here in our house.
My household count is 6 rolls of Charmin plus a whole extra Costco pack of it in the garage. Plus lots of this scratchy bamboo shit my wife gets and tries to substitute in.

Accept no substitute: Charmin Extra Soft and a Toto Washlet.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
In today's episode of "it's 2020 - FML", I present to you a novelty failure of a Wheelsmith BB cup that killed my monkey ride today, 3 miles in.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am beginning to think that this 30mm spindle idea is not that great, really.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Tough to tell from the picture, BUT there don't appear to be any witness-marks on the shoulder of the broken cup where it should have been seated against the face of the BB. IF that was the case, it isn't too surprising that it popped. Bummer regardless.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can't say I've ever seen a BB cup shear like that, how did you get the threaded section out of the frame?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In today's episode of "it's 2020 - FML", I present to you a novelty failure of a Wheelsmith BB cup that killed my monkey ride today, 3 miles in.

I am begging to think that this 30mm spindle idea is not that great, really.
You need a Torque wrench... Have you deformed your Bottom Bracket threads?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A bit of electrical tape should get you back on the trail in no time.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Went on a ride, crashed, hurt my knee but made it home. Witnessed an e-moped ride up a 45°, 3 meters high starting ramp no problem. Even with tons of speed coming into it I only make it up halfway. So much for "e-bikes just offer a little support". :mad:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

That was for sure loose.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tough to tell from the picture, BUT there don't appear to be any witness-marks on the shoulder of the broken cup where it should have been seated against the face of the BB. IF that was the case, it isn't too surprising that it popped. Bummer regardless.
See the spacer next to it? Hard-ish plastic, sitting between the cup and the BB face.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Went on a ride, crashed, hurt my knee but made it home. Witnessed an e-moped ride up a 45°, 3 meters high starting ramp no problem. Even with tons of speed coming into it I only make it up halfway. So much for "e-bikes just offer a little support". :mad:
For peak output they do offer a big boost. I particularly like mine on the last shale, loose righthand switchback on the Mountain Lion climb.

but they’re proportional if in normal/Trail mode. Not always cranking out full juice.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
See the spacer next to it? Hard-ish plastic, sitting between the cup and the BB face.
Like I said, hard to tell looking at a picture on teh intarwebs. However, that failure appears to be the type of failure that is seen when a threaded fastner is undertightened and resultingly overloaded in shear.

Either way, bummer.

Also, either way, make sure the backside of the bearing / spacer is bottomed out hard against the face of the BB. The friction at that interface caused by the tension in the "bolt" is what holds your weight. I think "everyone knows that," but it bears repeating...