Quantcast

Hardened steel allen wrench set

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Shop monkeys and do-it-yourselfers (allthough, unless you use your wrenches ALOT you probably wont experience this)...

Pedros has stopped making the "pro" version of their allen wrench t-handle set. the new ones are all black, instead of silver with case-hardened black tips and have soft rubber handles instead of hard rubber and I can't find the old ones anywhere. these new ones and the park tool ones just round off way too easily (slightly-rounded tip part for angle access) on the 5mm and below. does anyone have any good leads to some nicer t-handle allen wrench sets? Our shop has tried the new pedros, park tool, craftsman, etc. nothing is as good as the old pedros. i tried contacting pedros but they never responded.

And if anyone has a lead on the old ones or the pro version, could you let me know? btw, CRC claims they are the "pro" version and the picture even shows them, but they shipped us the new/cheaper quality all black ones.

the same is with most other dealers (qbp and bti). the pics show the pro set but they ship you the new/crappy set.

Good!

Bad (note: i know the image is of the torx set but i couldn't find a pic of the hex set with the same steel and soft handles)!

thanks!

-B-

Chimp
Original Pedro's hex wrenches were made by PB Swiss there are the best made hex wrenches in the world.
Both Whia and Wera make differing versions and are an above average replacement in comparison to US made hex wrenches.

Bhondus is a last choice and a disposable one if you get a year out of them it is ok cause they are cheap.

Allen brand stuff use to be the best of the US made hexes now under the Danaher Corporation umbrella they are cheap tools for high profit.

I'll vouch for Bhondus on this one. I have been using the standard L shaped ones for well over three years now with no issues. The little 2.5mm has a slight twist to it from a mixture of factory loctite and ham-fistedness, but aside from that, I will definitely be buying again.

Unfortunately they cost the earth in Australia. / Hatred of huge mark-up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll vouch for Bhondus on this one. I have been using the standard L shaped ones for well over three years now with no issues. The little 2.5mm has a slight twist to it from a mixture of factory loctite and ham-fistedness, but aside from that, I will definitely be buying again.

Unfortunately they cost the earth in Australia. / Hatred of huge mark-up.
Used Bondhaus stuff for years when working as a field service engineer for a machine tool builder. Been using the same set for 14 years. Did things to those tools that would break a bike in two and they never failed me.

Either Bondhaus had reduced their quality or you are doing something wrong.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i use an impact wrench on everything
i bought a set of 3/8 drive allens for my cordless impact and man what a time saver when working on bikes too. mostly use it for bolts with many turns. I even use it for tightening bolts on important stuff. I just set the impact pretty loose and then final torque by hand.

I'm sure bondhus has different levels of quality in their allens. I bought a set of em years ago, not pro level of usage but at least a couple times a week for i dunno 7 years and the 4-6mm has no distortion or noticable wear.

Last edited: