Quantcast

Hardtail DH/Freeride Frame?

diyquick

Chimp
Nov 8, 2011
Hey!

At the end of the month i am going to build a really nice Hardtail bike which will be light enough to go to the Supermarket and up a mountain riding it and strong enough to do Some Dj and Some non Competitive Downhill.

Do u have any Nice frame recommendations?
I would prefer if the Steerer was 1.5" ( Not tapered ) Because i have a 1.5" Fox Float which i am thinking of putting on this bike.

Thank you,
Fred

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm on a ragley bagger currently; ticks all the boxes, and makes a great aggressive all mountainy steed. steel frame w/ 44mm ht that fits any fork, optimized for long travel (150-160mm) w/ ~65* h/a static), reasonably light @ 6lbs, climbs well, and is reasonably inexpensive. it's my go to shore bike right now; super fun.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Is the purpose of the bike evenly split between trail riding, djs and dh?

It might be tough to find a hardtail with a 1.5 steerer, and for maximum flexibility, a fork with travel adjust to lower & stiffen the front end a bit for djs.

I ride a v1 Evil Sovereign that fits the bill nicely.

The Ragley looks nice, as does the Chromag. Check out the Transition Trans-am too.
Transition Bikes

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
owned a trans am for years...listen to dump that one is a winner.

ditch the 1.5 fork...it is very limiting on fram choice

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Don't get a .243 or On-One 456 they are old school and have a BB that is too high with a big fork, I've owned both and they are fun but they give you the feeling they will buck you mid corner.

My On-One's BB was an inch higher than my DH bike(.243 was similar), fine geo six years ago but Pom's just seem to stick with things til they stop selling.

Never ridden the Trans Am or the Ragley but I asked a similar question to yours a while back and checked the specs and they do read quite well.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Evil Imperial...nuff said.
For sure - Imperial SL since he wants to pedal a bit. Definitely a bit more on the hardcore end of the spectrum, but this is truly a freeride/dh hardtail.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
For hucking maybe but I'd go for steel, the difference a bit of flex in the back end makes to traction is pretty crazy.
Steel frame with curved seat stays is what I'll be going for on the next frame, hopefully I will get a custom frame done next year, still haven't got my $800 deposit back from my last supposed frame builder, butthole!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^i concur - go with steel. the bagger has smallish diameter curved stays, and it does seem to offer a bit more compliance than the aluminum hardtails i've ridden. i'm also all over slack headangle hardtails for aggressive riding. unlike squishy bikes, ht's get steeper under sag, so ideally you'd want something with a couple degrees slacker static numbers than an equivalent fs frame. the ragley has a ~65* h/a (static) w/ a 160mm fork, and feels spot on ripping tech trails. the transition is too steep for my tastes; the chromag stylus is just slightly steeper than the ragley, but has a lower bb, so i'd consider it as a contender. a good bit more expensive, however.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As the others have said, at this point there are lots of good steel options. That would be my choice.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
2nd the chromag stylus. There was a dude in whistler i kept seeing just throwing down hardcore on it!

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Ragley Bagger 288

Dialled Alpine (only 1-1/8th steerer)

I've got a Mk1 Alpine and super pleased. Only downside is non-replaceable hanger, but it *is* steel, so repairable if you ever have an issue. I crashed and bent mine back before. Solid frame w/ the right tubing in the right places (Reynolds 853 TT/DT, 520 ST, 4130 straight-guage for stays).

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
***warning - spam ***

I have a Woodman D-ML sitting in a box that has literally one ride on it. Built it up, rode it once, decided i had to have a sovereign (which i still ride today). It pretty much fits your bill, including the 1.5 head tube. PM me if your interested...

Here's some stock pics and geo.

Woodman D-ML 1.jpg

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Having a b*tch with the attachment quota. Here's a link to someone else's uploads...Here

Scroll down a little.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
here's the first iteration of my bagger w/ a 160mm totem; since replaced with a 150mm fork & lighter wheels. not pretty per se, but fun & a surprisingly effective aggressive allmountain steed.