Quantcast

Hardtail Jump Bikes WHICH ONES?

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
What good hardtail jump bikes are there, and can they stand the abuse. Im also looking for a dual suspension urban or a hardtail urban. Any ideas, help always apreciated. Thanks

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I'm not into dirt jumping but from what I've read from the other monkeys, you can't go wrong with a beefy cro-mo hartail.
- Planet-X Bommer
- On-One Gimp
- Balfa MinuteMan

If you want to go with aluminum...
- EVIL Imperial (not yet available)
- Planet-X Jack Flash RAD
- 24 Le ToyIII

Any of those would be fine for urban riding too. I would say especially the MinuteMan and the Le Toy.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
well, i have a gimp and a Jack Flash Rad, and both would be well suited for what you are talking about.... the Gimp is made to be set up as a single speed, so that's a consideration (they do make a sweet chain tensioner/der. hanger, though)-- and for a lot of stuff the simple drivetrain of a Single Speed is bad a$$ (no chainslap, way less stuff to rattle and flop around) and the gimp and le toy both sport bmx bottom brackets, which is pretty cool; oftentimes you can get bmx cranksets cheaper and they are usually a good bit stronger (although heavier). the crankset from Solid Bikes is the sickest thing i think i have ever seen -- 1" thick crmo spindle through the middle and the crank arms make profiles look kinda flimsy and they only weigh 60.8 ounces hehehe.
i cant speak from experience on the bommer, minuteman, or evil; but i have heard nothing but good things about them.
you could probably get a hardtail to do double duty as a Jumper and Urban bike.
For a good sturdy urban Dual Suspension it seems like a Kona Stinky or a Santa Cruz Bullit or a Cove G-Spot would fit the bill nicely.
anyway,
have fun,
O_D_D

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
i was looking at the le toy III or the gimp. I dont have much money and the gimp is cheaper. I live in seattle so i need something to stand agaisnt the rain and mud. I also ride urban all the time. I do like stair gaps and 5 foot to flat so i need a strong mother frame. I got a psylo xc 01-02, think it'l stand. I already broke my old 00 manitou sx. ive also bent my crank arms and basically flatspoted and tacoed my old rims. Got some mammoths!
Any dual suspensions, i could by used but im really poor. Just looking for somthin i could beat up!
Well thanks guys,

Moog

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Moogie
i was looking at the le toy III or the gimp. I dont have much money and the gimp is cheaper. I live in seattle so i need something to stand agaisnt the rain and mud. I also ride urban all the time. I do like stair gaps and 5 foot to flat so i need a strong mother frame. I got a psylo xc 01-02, think it'l stand. I already broke my old 00 manitou sx. ive also bent my crank arms and basically flatspoted and tacoed my old rims. Got some mammoths!
Any dual suspensions, i could by used but im really poor. Just looking for somthin i could beat up!
Well thanks guys,

Moog
If you like the Le toy3 then take a look at the Arrow DSS...the Le toy is just a straight copy of it.....D

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by BMXman

If you like the Le toy3 then take a look at the Arrow DSS...the Le toy is just a straight copy of it.....D
Why do you say this BMXMan? They're very different!

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
Add the DMR Trailstar to that list of steel frames. I have had 2 (sold and then bought again)

Apparently they have had one broken one returned.

Comes with either BMX bb and slotted drops or MTB bb with vert drops.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Hey Moogie
Most of you have most likely have already been here BUT

http://www.unrealcycles.com

is ALL about badass hardtail frames. and ben's prices are seriously unbeatable. Also, I have a minuteman and have it set up singlespeed and ride a lil' downhill and TONS of urban and dirt jumping and it REALLY is THE shiat. One of those bikes that you take out for a 10 minute spin around the block and end up returning home like 3 hours later.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
thanks,

ive been to unreal cycles there the ****! the prices are cheap and they sell realy koo stuff. I dont really care about the weight but i do ride an xc turned urban bike so it is light but its got a psylo and mammoths. bunny hopping is way harder with the beefy frame and wheels so.... Thats okay, long as i dont break it! the le toy is really koo as well as the minutman. anybody rode an Imperial? they look so daddy!

thanks

Moogie

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Ok first Balfa does NOT make the clampon v-break tabs for the minuteman anymore. I was told that "Its the 21st century after all" when I asked for a pair. Which, it is, and I agree disc breaks are the sheeot BUT here's my observation:

Horizontal drop-outs,
no v-break tabs,
no sliding d.hanger or sliding caliper mounts.

Um, why horizontal dropout? Are those for the people who like to run no rear breaks like I had to do until I found a used set? I dunno it just seems retarded. I LOVE my singlespeed minuteman, and I love singlespeed in general. I think balfa should do something like the letoy if they keep the horizontal dropouts.

taylor

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
Regina,Sask
the Imperial is not being sold yet.The retail for it is supposed to be about $700 usd,super cool lookin frame,but I'll take my Le Toy over it!:D

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by DHiTone
Add the DMR Trailstar to that list of steel frames. I have had 2 (sold and then bought again)

Apparently they have had one broken one returned.

Comes with either BMX bb and slotted drops or MTB bb with vert drops.

whats that thing like to ride? i'm lookin at getting one, they seem cheap (well, relatively) but very nice!

they lack the ugly lugs and braces, which is a good thing, and steel is the best material for this application.... you'd reccomend it i assume?

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
some would say that aluminum is stronger than steel, but that is not entirely true. most aluminum jump/ slalom specific bikes that are aluminum get beefed up so they are stupid strong. the other advantage is that they are stiffer than steel which makes them sprint faster.(good for gate starts) if you are on a budget look toward kona, which have a number of affordable bikes. if you got that bling bling the world is your oyster.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Get a Brooklyn Machine Works Park Bike. They are super strong and you can tell strangers that you own a BMW and stilll be telling the truth.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
For a budget I love my GT Zaskar X. (http://cambrisbike.com) has a few small and xsmall frames for $350. In the small and xsmall sizes the have mucho beef at the head tub. The head angl is good for 4 to 5" forks. May be a little flexy in the BB area for someone who goes thrue parts like you.
Chetta Dual Hard tail frames are pretty cheap.

taylor

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
Regina,Sask
Originally posted by freeride_86
Ummmmm, Brodie Holeshot, the strongest aluminum hardtail out there. Hands down. Thats my 2 cents
The Holeshot is indeed a strong aluminum frame,but the strongest:rolleyes: Fraid not.Personally I'd say the Le Toy III(but I am biased),the Planet X Jackflash RAD or Cliffcat Tankass,or even the 01 Norco 250cc or 02 Torrent.I am surely missing some(anybody....?)

freeride_86

Chimp
Dec 19, 2001
Lethbridge, AB
The holeshot is stronger than a 250 or a torrent, the le toy and the planet x are stronger. I wasnt thinking but in reality, if someone brakes a holeshot they would probably break any other aluminum hard tail as well. A holeshot is probably strong enough for 95 percent of us.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Depends on the budget. I got one Kona Roast. And its great. Chute is on nice bike too. But I would go for a Planet X right now.

G

Gutty

Originally posted by Moogie
Well thanks guys,

Moog
If you want something cheap and strong look at the norco's.

Just a thought.