Quantcast

Hardtail recommendation under $500 - Seattle area

Jul 1, 2005
Looking for an affordable hardtail primarily will be used on paths, but occasional downhill will happen. Have looked at Gary Fisher Wahoo and a Raleigh M50. Raleigh has nicer components, but looking for other recommendations.

Also looking for a good shop to check out bikes and ride them. Went to Performance they don't know how to put a bike together, looked at some local shops but they didn't have my size in stock for the most part.

New bikes that can handle a 250 lb rider are what I want.

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
By, "Downhill will happen" do you mean you plan to take it "downhilling" if you do then wow for a 250lbs rider you are asking alot of a $500 dollar bike. Try hitting up some of the used stuff on the buy and sell or ebay. You'll end up with a better bike at that price range if you buy used.

For instance I would rather go with this:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122989
before I go with the above mentioned bikes. And if you search a little more you'll find tons deals like this.

Jul 1, 2005
I mean that I will occasionally ride downhill but for the most part will not. I had been riding a DB Topanga that has no suspension, but it needs some serious work now. It is an old steel framed bike from 1990.

I want something with a strong frame etc. that can handle a heavier rider. One bike a little more than I want to spend that has been recommended to me is the Kona Hoss.

Jul 1, 2005
Recommendations on used bikes? I have checked out the used shops in my area and the bikes are to small for me. 6'1", and they had almost exclusively small frames, worker said yeah, don't have much used that would fit you, and the used stuff in my size was old junk, no better than my Topanga.

I am in the Seattle area.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
you should really bump up the price range to say 800. the difference between a$500 hardtail and an $800 hardtail is exponential.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Bought my wife a 2005 Specialized Rockhopper for Christmas. I'm slowly getting her more broken in to riding technical cross country and it's been a great bike for her. Sold the stock fork for $100 and bought an awesome 2001 Marzocchi Z5 for $100. Made the bike really quite nice. I think we paid $450 for it.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
It would be hard to find what you're looking for in that price range unless it's used. Take a look at what Trek has; I would offer my Trek 4900 but I need a XC bike for myself.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I'm sure there's stuff in that range - the only question is how long will it last. Some local shops that you can check out that carry a wide range of bikes are:
Center Cycles in Renton
Supergo in the U District
Gregg's Greenlake, Greenlake area and Bellevue
Aurora Cycles on 99
Bicycle Center in Everett
Bicycles West in Bellevue and Renton
Recycled Cycles in U District

Obviously some will be better than others.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
NeedAHardTail said:
Looking for an affordable hardtail primarily will be used on paths, but occasional downhill will happen. Have looked at Gary Fisher Wahoo and a Raleigh M50. Raleigh has nicer components, but looking for other recommendations.

Also looking for a good shop to check out bikes and ride them. Went to Performance they don't know how to put a bike together, looked at some local shops but they didn't have my size in stock for the most part.

New bikes that can handle a 250 lb rider are what I want.
If you are going to go the used direction, I might be selling my Norco hardtail in your pricerange.

I don't have any pics of it on this computer, but this is basically what it looks like (I have a different parts spec, single crown dirt jumper fork, doubletrack rear wheel, etc). In the Portland area.

I am 2" shorter than you, but I weigh almost as much...the bike has been pretty bulletproof so far.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Bibs, i doubt that the trail-or-park is sold as a complete for 5 bills or under. I think you should check out H22ekHatch's bike, a burly ride that can handle most anything you throw at it, and if its in your price range then go for it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
seriously just get a FS bike. i weigh about 180 and there is no way i could downhill on a ht.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
bballe336 said:
seriously just get a FS bike. i weigh about 180 and there is no way i could downhill on a ht.
Considering the guy is comming off a fully ridgid I doubt he'll be doing the kind of downhilling that needs a full suspension bike. Besides that, for $500 you're not really going to find a descent FS bike. For the sub $1000 category I'd always reccomend a hardtail reguardless of where or what you're ridding.

hardtails build skills, I said htat same thing before i go tmy hardtail. No I love it and would ride almost everythign on it. Its not hte bike...its the rider.

There are kids on the Shore riding HT's and hitting 20' drops..its insane! Fs bikes make you soft and you have more room for error. Hts make you ride smoother and more efficient.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
bibs said:
hardtails build skills, I said htat same thing before i go tmy hardtail. No I love it and would ride almost everythign on it. Its not hte bike...its the rider.

There are kids on the Shore riding HT's and hitting 20' drops..its insane! Fs bikes make you soft and you have more room for error. Hts make you ride smoother and more efficient.

Im gonna call you softy then when you rebuild your canondale.......