Quantcast

hardtail

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
k so i have a specialized P2 (2005- not the new style frame). its in the shop right now, its gonna get a new hub and spokes on the rear wheel, when its done im gonna get some new tires too, i bought it with hookworms and absolutley hate them other than for riding around town, i want something for the trails.

to get to the point im wondering how u guys think my p2 will do for a starter bike, cause its what i bought with budget in mind a few months ago, but street riding is really no interest of mine, freeriding is, northshore and the likes.

any suggestions on parts/tires/mods to my bike?

im thinking of eventually getting a full suspension, but for now with the money im spending on this bike and my budget right now, its what im sticking with, and i cant compensate nor see the purpose to buy a full suspension until i really get hooked, and get thru my learning curve, i might as well beat up this bike, but just ne suggestions would be great and are there any other hardtail freeriders out there?

-a while back at the LBS when i had my bike in there there was this gnarly lookin guy who said "hardtails make you a savage rider!"

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Search if you are looking for a new frame (but you are not)

Hardtails are generally pretty simple and (generally) ride similarly. I suggest fat tires (but they will be heavy) and maybe a long-travel suspension fork (expensive, and the one on your bike may be fine) to have an easier time with harsh impacts and rough terrain. I dunno if your bike has one or not, but a bash guard is a good idea.

Lots of people ride rough stuff on hardtails, they are lighter, cheaper and require less maintainence than a full suspension bike.

buma

Chimp
Sep 28, 2006
get a tough rear rim, first thing, or you'll be fixing it every two weeks.

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
i should be good on the tough rear rim, the bike came with atomlabs, im not sure exactly what model but like a 400 dollar set, i wasnt extremley pleased with em but they are pretty tough rims

but like i said, im gettin a new rear hub and spokes too, and i went with the one the LBS said would last me forever (no idea what brand) - so thats great cause i should be good for that

any suggestions for tires?

buma

Chimp
Sep 28, 2006
yeah, i had a atomlab trailpimp 24" that was indestructible. get tires for your trail conditions (muddy or dry), although i'm not a tire afficionado, so I dont' really have an opinion on the various options. widely spaced knobs for shedding mud is what i usually got. if they are nice fatty tires, like 2.6 or bigger, you can feel the cushion when you drop stuff, and yes, you can notice it compared to a skinnier set. i ran a set that was about a 2.8 effectively, and it was nice, although there's a lot of rolling resistance when riding up the hill from a tire that wide.

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
Try and pick up a used long travel fork, I just got a Sherman 170/130mm single crown for pretty cheap (although it was a 1.5 steerer tube). Ebay is a good bet, probably something around 150mm for $200. I rode a hardtail for a long time and it sure helps your riding when you go to a squish.

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
alright, thanks for the tips guys, and picking up another fork will definatley be one of my firts ups. my next checks gonna be big so maybe i'll get it soon:biggrin:

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Since you have the Atomlab setup, the front hub should be changeable to20mm by buying a kit from Atomlab. I would go this route, then look for 20mm dropout forks for your P2. Also, I think 6" might be pushing it a little. I'd probably stay around 5" as to not chopper it out too much... unless you like that kind of Geo. I think the P2 came with 4" up front, so going to 6 might be a bit an adjustment. The Marzocchi z1 forks are solid (get 03's or later) and can be had below 200 here and there. Make sure to get one with HSCV dampening as opposed to the SSV if you're going to use it for trail riding. Outside of the Zoke, a Pike or Sherman (some people like the Sherms, others hate em) with adjustable travel would work well, but the Pike will be a little hard to find as inexpensively as older Z1s or more recent Sherms. Either way, since you have the ability to run a 20mm setup, I'd opt to go that route as you'll have more beef under you as you progess.

Chris

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
I also have a 2005 P-2 and the stock fork sucks bad!!!!!

I got it used in mint condition and it was converted to a Single speed but I want to change it back.

I'm also looking for a fork right now......when I just wheelie down the street the stock fork dropps out to the bottom....weak!!!!

BUT my main concern is/was the cranks.... the stockers IMO suck bad also. I'm going to BMX cranks in 10 minutes after this post. I'm a firm believer in BMX cranks!!!!!!!!!!!

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
Since you have the Atomlab setup, the front hub should be changeable to20mm by buying a kit from Atomlab. I would go this route, then look for 20mm dropout forks for your P2. Also, I think 6" might be pushing it a little. I'd probably stay around 5" as to not chopper it out too much... unless you like that kind of Geo. I think the P2 came with 4" up front, so going to 6 might be a bit an adjustment. The Marzocchi z1 forks are solid (get 03's or later) and can be had below 200 here and there. Make sure to get one with HSCV dampening as opposed to the SSV if you're going to use it for trail riding. Outside of the Zoke, a Pike or Sherman (some people like the Sherms, others hate em) with adjustable travel would work well, but the Pike will be a little hard to find as inexpensively as older Z1s or more recent Sherms. Either way, since you have the ability to run a 20mm setup, I'd opt to go that route as you'll have more beef under you as you progess.

Chris
Point well made. Although, I have a Sherman Slider (dual crown) on my hardtail, and its pretty ridiculous geometry. But its fun if all you're really using it for is freeride stuff. Pushing that thing up hill sucks. And the Pike is a sick fork if you can get your hands on the cash for one. The main reason I'd say go with a Zoke is less maintenence. So far, I'm fairly happy with my Sherman, its a decent fork, although it has a more regular service interval than a Z1 would.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
The classifieds here, on MTBR.com, Ebay, Craigs List, and if you can put up with the Canatardation of not wanting to ship half of what they're selling, Pinkbike. :)

Chris

I got an 04 Specialized P2, put a hydraulic brake on the front, a Manitou Stance Blunt 150 mm (not my first choice, but I was on a budget) and an e.Thirteen chainguide on it. I'm going ot ride that until I legitamately need a fully because I do love my P2. :cupidarrow:

Jun 8, 2006
Washington
UPDATE: so ive had my bike back for like 2 weeks now with its wheel re-build, got some new tires, specialized pro enduro rear, and the adrenaline up front, some good dirt tires.

I've been riding my local trails every weekend now, its awsome, its been goin great cause theres nothin so huge that i really even need a FS bike. there is quite a bit of northshore style stuff and some of its pretty sweet, but a lot of it definatley needs some maitnence, some is just old and rotted or a ladder is missing a few peices. -- unfortuneatly i guess a while back someone built like a 15 foot teeter and someone destroyed it during the night, no one knows who. that just sucks that ppl would want to do that, but im gonna do some trail buiding next time i get out there, i'll be sure and take some pics too!

IF I TAKE NEW PICS I'LL START THE THREAD "BD PICS"