Quantcast

Hardtails and you

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I rode fully ridged for 25 years, starting on home built bmx in 1969 then klunkers sometime in the 80's.
Hardtails from mid 90's till 2006; fully suspended since then.

I have no interest in going back to ridged or hardtail for dirt riding in any form. My back thanks me for this.
The only exception would be to build a cheap hardtail specifically for use indoor at Joyride in the winter.
At the moment, it is not high on my priority list.

I still look at steel hardtails and dream....but I also know that it would be a painful experience that i don't want to re-live, so now they are just art to look at and drool over.

Getting old sucks.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Now I only have a Steel Spec. P1 dj bike with a 110mm fork. Sold my Kona Explosif, where I live now and the trails I ride most are more fun on a full suspension. Have promised my signifiant other that I'm going to ride 90km race with her and a ht would be a really good bike for that race. It's mostly gravel with some minor "tech" parts in it. Will probably get a xc bike for that or a short travel fully...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Interesting to hear your non-lizard thoughts. I had a krampus for a minute and it wasn't the right bike for me. Needs high end parts to get rid of the wheel weight issue, which that bike didn't have.
This is total truth, this whole actually enjoying big tire thing heavily hinges on money. You can't be pedaling around some 38lb monster...Lots of carbon and tubeless setups really make them more enjoyable. I do also have a fat bike (which I was 'given') sitting around 25 lbs, the only way I could ride one of those things...carbon rims/frame/bars/cranks etc...It's fun for about 15 days a year when our trails are total shit, then I take it to the beach and run over sea turtles in my speedo.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have a Kona Honzo ST and I'll ride it about 80% of the time. The trails closest to my house are much better suited to a hardtail, so it just made sense to me to add one to the stable. Geometry feels really good, I'm on XL so it has a crazy 510mm reach, steel feels much better than the alloy Big Honzo I had previously.
Nice Rig!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
All this hardtail talk I would also love an evil calling with an elevensix for riding the same trails I ride my chromag on...can't have it all.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
A8931E29-FB51-4625-9BD3-79CA6B4C134E.jpeg
i built up an old jackal with a 36 talas and a looooong seat tube and burly wheels a while back. it sucked on local trails because, among other things, it was as heavy as my uzzi and shod in kendas, but it was a little bit fun in the mountains on gravel grind climbs and gnarly descents. just a little bit. i really never rode it and always took the uzzi for the most part. but there’s a big difference between that and a honzo, stylus, pp shan, etc...buddy has a stylus done up nice and he loves it everywhere he goes.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
You've a fat bike already?

Build up a 2nd wheelset in 27.5+ sizeway?

Not perfect, but less $$ and space than a whole bike. Especially if you build the thing up nicely. Add dropper post, Anglesey, and Bluto/Mastodon if inclined.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I bought the frame on a whim so I could practice manualling and stuff on my commute. After a few months it ended up taking over 75% of my riding and all the parts got upgraded. 200mm dropper coming soon.

These days most dudes are riding hardtails that are like trail bikes, but with no rear suspension. I'd love to try one of those too, but this one is more like a dirt jumper but a bit slacker and with a dropper post. It's funner than heck.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I bought the frame on a whim so I could practice manualling and stuff on my commute. After a few months it ended up taking over 75% of my riding and all the parts got upgraded. 200mm dropper coming soon.

These days most dudes are riding hardtails that are like trail bikes, but with no rear suspension. I'd love to try one of those too, but this one is more like a dirt jumper but a bit slacker and with a dropper post. It's funner than heck.

your dog looks pissed that you're there, bothering him :D

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm in the process of building a new Ragley Blue pig. I picked up the frame from CRC for $420. Spank Race 33 Rims will be built onto Hadleys.

I've wanted to replace my HT since I broke it 7 years ago. Honestly, I'll only ride a steel HT. I want something strong and inexpensive. On-one and Ragley were my two brands that I was interested in, but the On-one 456 is 45mm shorter than the Blue pig! The BP is 15mm longer (reach) than my Spartan... BUT! I took the 45mm stem off the Spartan and went with a 60mm. The 45mm on the BP will leave me with the same geo as the Spartan, in theory.

I'm interested in 2.5 or 2.6 tires, but they seem hard to find that aren't DH casing/aggressive tread pattern. Any input?

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a Chromag Rootdown BA that sees a majority of my riding. Most of my local, weekday rides are just more fun on a hardtail.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just the fatbike in the winter and for commuting.

Riding a hardtail anywhere else (except some DJ stuff) is like trying to ski downhill with skate skis. I beat myself up pretty bad a few seasons ago racing a hardtail XC. That didn't last long. Maybe young guys can do it, but I can't take it.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Agree with whoever said a HT is a wonderful second bike. I've ridden the HT pretty much exclusively in winter and intermittently during other seasons for years now. Wouldn't want to be without one but wouldn't choose it as my only bike either.

IMG_5421.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I love how hardtails have that huge, empty space in the middle of them. It looks different than modern bikes with all that patented, marketed, trademarked, bullshit, jammed in there. It's empty. It pedals so efficiently. I like the tiny, straight, round Chro-moly tubing vs the huge, oversized, hydroformed aluminum (and carbon). I love hardtails.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Looking to get a different frame, but here's my "MTB hardtail", 2001 Identiti 666 DJ frame - given to me, heavy as hell but kinda fun to ride!

EDIT: Herp a derp snap -

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Say i wanted to build a HT over the course of this year for Approx. $2k, with 1k allocated to the fork. That leaves $1k to fiddle around with for frame and all. I have a few hand me down parts from upgrading my squishy, but not many. Main things I'm looking for is 20mm TA, 31.6 seat tube, 650b, 150mm to 160mm travel. What frame to yall recommend? Not a weight weenie, so carbon is alright here and there but not necessary anywhere.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dunno what fork you want, but the fox 36 would be my choice. highly adjustable travel, 20mm OR 15mm axle, tapered steerer, and plenty of stiffness.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Say i wanted to build a HT over the course of this year for Approx. $2k, with 1k allocated to the fork. That leaves $1k to fiddle around with for frame and all. I have a few hand me down parts from upgrading my squishy, but not many. Main things I'm looking for is 20mm TA, 31.6 seat tube, 650b, 150mm to 160mm travel. What frame to yall recommend? Not a weight weenie, so carbon is alright here and there but not necessary anywhere.
Chromag Wideangle if you have a Boost wheelset. You may need to find a couple hundreds more to complete the build for 2k$, but I guess it would be worth it.