Quantcast

Hardtails with long travel forks

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I am beginning to look around for a new hardtail. I ride a lot of DH-oriented trails on a hardtail with a 5" fork. I would like to know your opinions and experiences about the point when more travel makes little difference in the ride quality because the rigid rear end gets uncontrollable (I am assuming there is a point . . .)

I can use all of my 5" of travel and am afraid that 6" may be too little. Personally I think an Imperial with a 7" or 8" fork would be a blast but I do not want unnecessary weight and cost.

The list at this moment is:
Soul Cycles Loki (because of the shorter CS and slacker HA compared to the Titan)
Evil Imperial
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Transition Vagrant

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're going to do it I'd say run a 6" singlecrown so it's not really big and unusable. Definately run something like a Z.1 that's low and big travel. A 66 might work but it's talllll.

If you're looking at spending a fair ammount on a nice DH hardtail, why not just step up and get a 6 and 6 ride like a Specialized Enduro, Santa Cruz Nomad, etc? It would be better on trails by far IMO...

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Was the 66 not lowered 30mm this year? Is it still taller than say a Jr. T?

FS is appealing but I do not race and am not likely to get heavily involved in racing - too much traveling. FS is also a bit more expensive and a bit higher maintainence. I am pretty set on a hardtail.

The other problem with tall forks is that I am going to have to contend with a floppy bike in the tight stuff.

Anyone who has ridden a DC HT care to chime in?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've ridden a HT w/ a DC and I hated it. The bike flopped around in the corners and was really unpredictable because the fork moved around a ton and messed with the geometry as it did. Hence my recommendation of less than or equal to 6" of travel.

Check out a Z.1 or a 36. I think they'd suit the bill. Even a 6" 66. But for the childrens' sake, don't run a dual crown.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Out of curiosity, what frame was it?

Also . . . anyone know if Imperial frames have a 50mm chainline? I cannot find a contact email for evil.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It was a Hardrock frame with a 6" Jr. T fork. Not the best combo, I know, but all frames' geo will be affected similarly.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
The Imp is certainly the most versatile but it is also the most $$$ and heavy and I may only barely be able to get decent leg extension on it. I am going to be pedaling this thing. The imp is also probably overkill for a 5" setup. I think the next production run is in the fall.

The Loki I like because at 5lbs it is a pound lighter than the vag or the imp and is only $200. The SC is even lighter but I think the HA on that is too steep. I dont know much about the Cortina.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wouldn't trust the SC w/ a big fork. Just seems a bit underbuilt. I agree about the IMP maybe being overkill.

The Loki sounds good. Maybe look at a .243, I think Ciarian has one w/ a DC and it looks pretty good. Check out the burly hardtails thread for ideas. Good luck!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If you are set on a hardtail with a DC fork try and find a Sinister Ridge paired to something like a Boxxer or Super T. There are plenty of those around these parts and guys seem to love them.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Bicyclist has a point, the enduro is super smooth with a 6.75" rear air and a front fox, its super nice, i rode it!

Jun 9, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
This is my Morphine with a 7" BW's

I use this bike only for DHing and is just a blast... I used to DH with a fully but after I try a HT at the mountain I got huck.

cheers
Juanjo

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
PaulE said:
why not run a boxxer ride on the front of the hardtail, so you can have trhe big travel when you need it, and the steeper angles when you need them.

QUALITY IDEA!!! - i think this might be your best option.

i ran my norco 5 hun with a shiver for a few weeks. it was a blast. it makes the bike much harder to jump. however, it plowed over stuff on the trail. i did not notice any problems with handling other than jumping. i think the frame geo was key for this. it was a lucky good combo.

the best advice i could give for running a setup like this would be to get clipless pedals. it makes it more comfortable to let the back float around. with the front plowing everthing, letting the back "loft" over things is key.

these days, i am running an IH Yakuza Bakuto with a Pike. i have found that i tend to run the pike in the shorter travel settings for most situations. it is rare that i run it at a full 140mm.

seeing as how i liked the norco with a long fork, but the IH with a shorter fork, i would say the frame geo is the key to rocking a big fork on a HT. it seems the evil is well suited for long forks based on the number of peeps running them and happy with it. i think the vagrant is hot! transition is a good group of peeps. it seems they want the bike to handle well with a big fork. give them a call.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Toshi can you get full leg extension on that thing? I imagine it is awkward, but it it possible? How tall are you?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bjanga said:
Toshi can you get full leg extension on that thing? I imagine it is awkward, but it it possible? How tall are you?
nope, it was impossible and i'm 173.5 cm last i was measured (5'8"). the seat gets too far back due to the seat tube angle.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Toshi said:
it was impossible and i'm 173.5 cm last i was measured (5'8")
:mad:

Thanks for all the input so far.

The boxxer ride is an interesting proposal.

The sinister site says that the frame weighs 4.5 pounds . . . that seems a bit light (SC chameleon is 4.25 lbs), but I am not the engineer here.

The Cortina is now "the Mexican" and has a 12mm TA rear, which I do not want.

Dirtbag, do you know what the recommended chainline is on the Vag? I am afraid it is 57mm and not 50mm.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I used to ride the heck out my Imperial with 6 inch fork. I bet an SL with a gravity dropper and a 6 inch fork like I used to run on mine would be unreal. And someone asked about the weight, at 6 lbs, it weighs less than many XC racing full suspension frames but can take more abuse than many DH frames. If youre smart about the build it could easily be under 30 lbs and take anything you can dish.

Dave

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
bjanga said:

Toshi said:
nope, it was impossible and i'm 173.5 cm last i was measured (5'8"). the seat gets too far back due to the seat tube angle.
I was able to get full extension on my LeToy3, but when I was running the monster it was already a wheelie machine. I was running 26"F and 24"R and everybody always commented on how steep the head angle was. I found that it worked great for a freeride/dh bike - not the best for either, but I'd probably run the same setup again if I was strapped for cash and had to scrape something together.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Hey dw I read somewhere that the imps are being refined a bit and production will start again in the fall. Is this true?

The SL is nice but I need a QR somewhere on the bike so I can cram it into cars. Plus TA hubs are $$$

Edit: can I run a 50mm chainline setup on the imperial or do I need a gnarly wide BB

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Get a Cromo hardtail... much smoother ride. I have a cromo BMX bike and although it is a little heavier than the Aluminum BMX bikes, it is a much smoother ride.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
bjanga said:
I am a little worried about corrosion with cromo . . . although my worrying is probably unwarranted.
I have a 2001 Frame that is cromo and there is still nothing wrong with it... Just a FYI. And I still put my confidence into the bike that it will not fail me.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
If you're looking at the Evil Imp, I suggest the Sluggo from Soul Cycles. They make solid bikes (I have the Titan which I abuse regularly), and you'll have more money left over for components.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
If only they would finish their site... I was going to get the sluggo but since their site wasn't done I decided to get something else.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DH biker said:
If only they would finish their site... I was going to get the sluggo but since their site wasn't done I decided to get something else.
I actually bought another frame... but didn't like it and sold it off.

Last ditch effort I emailed them again - bingo they had 'em.

Now I have to start building it up!

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
bjanga said:
I am beginning to look around for a new hardtail. I ride a lot of DH-oriented trails on a hardtail with a 5" fork. I would like to know your opinions and experiences about the point when more travel makes little difference in the ride quality because the rigid rear end gets uncontrollable (I am assuming there is a point . . .)

I can use all of my 5" of travel and am afraid that 6" may be too little. Personally I think an Imperial with a 7" or 8" fork would be a blast but I do not want unnecessary weight and cost.

The list at this moment is:
Soul Cycles Loki (because of the shorter CS and slacker HA compared to the Titan)
Evil Imperial
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Transition Vagrant
Here's my old bike

Got stolen 2 months after I finished building it -- 2000 6" boxxer on the front with the '03 decal kit.

I loved the bike on the local hills but it was obviously not particularly good for climbing. Never had a problem with wheel flop -- the boxxer wasn't any taller than a 5" marzocchi fork of the same year

Currently in the process of building an '06 black 17.5" cove stiffee with a 2003 6" sherman slider...

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
SC just emailed me back. They say that they are going to release info about the Sluggo in about a week or so.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, the newest ridges are 4.5 pounds. They will be plenty strong. The original metalhead was 4.25# with a thinner headtube and weaker dropouts, and plenty of those are going on 9 years old. Any '05 or '06 ridge you buy used will be 5.5# and you'll be able to run it over in a truck.

The new DNA is down to 5 pounds from last years 6.25# as well. Not having Smutok on the team means the frames can be that much lighter! Most of the weight savings on the DNA this year is all in the backend, with more hogged out dropouts and slightly lighter stays.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I've run an Imperial SL with a 6" 01 SuperT for a few months now, I mostly ride urban but have taken her XC'ing and DH'ing a bit now and absolutely LOVE it. Obvisouly, a HT for dh'ing beats your body up a bit more and won't get the same speed as a FS (duh), but it's definitely worth the compromise for a do-it-all setup IMO. The imperials shine at that.
The SL has the nice thing about running a straight seat tube so normal leg extension is easily achieved (and I'm 5'5), while full seat down makes it run like a normal imperial. Plus the imperial never felt as "harsh" as other hardtails did, I have no idea why but they just don't.

I also def. recommend running a chainguide if you DH. :cool:

I have never tried a taller fork than mine on any hardtail so I don't know for fact, but i'd guess that more than a 6" travel fork will likely over-offset the rear end, even with a 6" fork it's not always easy to predict the rear end's behaviour as the fork eats up the bump, I generally run my 6" fork rather harsh to compensate for this fact otherwise it does feel unbalanced esp. at higher speeds.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
The Soul Cycles Loki was designed around a 100mm fork, putting on a 7+inch fork on it aside from possibly voiding the warranty and putting lots of stress on the headtube, the bike will turn like a tractor trailer. The frame rides well with a 130mm fork on it, it is pretty slack with that length fork any more will ruin the geometry. Keep in mind that just because the headtubes on certain frames have certain angles it is all in relation to the fork that it was designed around...also keep in mind that for every inch of travel you add over top of what the frame was designed for will slacken the head tube angle by about 1 degree per inch.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Roger on the tractor trailer thing, Soul Cycles says that the Loki's 69 degree HA was measured with a fork with a 452mm Axle-Crown length. That would probably put the HA near 65 degrees with a 7" fork. Yikes.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Uh-oh . . . the other side of my brain is kicking in. A setup with the Loki for example and a lowered Z1 would be lighter, and cheaper. It would be slower going downhill but hardtails are slower than FS bikes to begin with. I guess I need to take a stroll through the DJ forum.

Recycled from the Burly Hardtails thread, but...

My Planet-X Compo. :love: Unfortunately no longer made, but the frame was designed around a 5-6" fork. HA about 67.5-68deg as setup with a 1998 Super-T, 150mm. Steep SA - kind of a hallmark of this frame - makes it easy to weight the front wheel to carve turns or go uphill. The handling is pretty much spot-on for all-around aggressive trail riding, and as long as I get over the front end, it climbs like crazy. Easton FS tubing makes for a decent ride for an aluminum frame. Not steel buttery, but not bad either. It'll be a very sad day when I break this beauty....

The photo is about 18 months old. I've since gone SRAM on the drivetrain, destroyed and replaced the rims, run different tires (IRC Tamashi's), and removed the guards on the fork lowers to let the CNC'ed beauty of #87 (Super-T) shine through. :)