Quantcast

Haro Extreme X7 as a DH bike?

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Any opinions? I had a chance to pick one up brand new for $540. I know it's not the best race rig on the planet, but there's nothing huge at the local mountain. Plus, I did okay at the last DH race on a Cannondale Gemini rental bike, and they're spec'd almost the same.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I've always liked haros, They feel really good and never had a problem with mine. I say get a good rear shock and ride that biotch down the hill!! It wont give you any problems.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
For only $500 bucks, it'll get ya going, and quite nicely at that. The geo looks pretty good, and with the 150mm rear wheel, you could use that wheelset on a dedicated DH frame in the future.

Plan on spending another $100 and putting a single ring with a chain guide on there. It'll be lighter, there won't be a honkin' 42tooth big ring to smash, and it'll keep your chain on if you get squirely in the rough. Gamut and E13 make good chainguides, but they are kinda pricey. A Truvativ BoxGuide with a Truvativ bashgaurd would work just fine, and they're pretty cheap. Go for a 36 tooth front chainring, it's a good middle of the road size.

I would also go for a new set of tires, I find Kendas flat easily. Also, a 2.5 front tire, a little wider than the stock 2.35, is more forgiving if you're a beginner and just starting out.

Talk to the shop you're getting the bike from, and see if they'd be willing to substitute the front deraillure/shifter or tires for something slightly more DH oriented. Many shops are pretty cool in that regard.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
good luck with it man. my advice about dh components and equipment... you get what you pay for. ohh and in dh just because two rigs are specd the same doesnt meen that they are the same rig. just a little bit of advice for you man. good luck and have fun with it man.

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Thanks guys... I have it on the way, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I have a Truvativ guide and some Hussefelt cranks w/ a 34t sprocket I'm going to throw on it. I'll let ya's know how it goes.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Is it an 06???

If so, it has Hussefelts (or ours did anyway) and a bash on it already. It does have ISCG tabs, so the chain guide thing is simple. I have sold many closeouts for twice that, so you did well. I would look for a better fork than a Drop Off III, but it will get you started really well. It rides fun on test rides. All I have seen had 2.5 Kendas on it though.

edit - perhaps they are 2.35s. :think:

http://www.harobikes.com/2006/mtb/x7.php