Quantcast

haulin bikes for the whole family?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
There's 6 people in my family and we all enjoy riding. A bike rack won't really do it.

Is a trailer my only option? How much should I expect to pay for a trailer capable of hauling 6 bikes? I've looked on craigslist but everything I found there looks like crap built out of a pickup bed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can you do a roof and hitch rack? presumably on an SUV of some kind? Then you'd have room for both stuff inside and 6 bikes outside, with a hitch rack and extender, then two on top.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Answer is going to depend largely on wha tyou drive, and your preference to ahuling said bikes.

Demo 9 just posted a pic of his truck with a bunch of bikes on a rack over the bed and a bunch more on a hitch rack. Roof rack + hitch Rack should very easily yeild the carrying capacity of 6 bikes.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
There were six people in my family, so with our Suburban we'd put four on a hitch rack and the remaining two inside.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

The bed rack could easily fit more than 3, however, i only bought 3 sidearms, i would think you can get 4-5 on it (front/back/front/back/front) Depending on the bike, maybe put 1 in the car with you? take it apart?

The rear is a T2 with a T2 extender (2+2)

Technically you could also put a roof rack, and front hitch on it, definitely possible to get 15-20 bikes in a pickup

The rack over the bed also drops down if thats your thing

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There's 6 people in my family and we all enjoy riding. A bike rack won't really do it.

Is a trailer my only option? How much should I expect to pay for a trailer capable of hauling 6 bikes? I've looked on craigslist but everything I found there looks like crap built out of a pickup bed.
so.....what are you driving?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
thanks for all the comments so far. I drive a Ford Flex. It seats 7 but doesn't have much room leftover inside after that. Maybe room for 1 kids bike.