Quantcast

Have you ever been hit with a water balloon sling shot?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I am gearing up for summer programming and I want to plany a game with the kids involving a water balloon sling shot. The ad for the sling shot says "never to aim at people", but what if you were aiming at a large bucket and accidentally hit the person that was holding/manuevering the bucket? Would that hurt? Kids are resilient right?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
They will be ina field, and the goal will be to hit the bucket that their team mates are carrying, so the farther the distance the harder it will be/the more their team mates will have to move to make sure they catch it. Since activity is the point of the game, I'll have the spread out pretty far.

I also read that water balloon sling shots can reach up to 75 mph. sounds painful.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I've played with those things back in the day, and honestly I don't think they should be shot at children. Or at a bucket being held by a child. Bad news.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
When I was in college, some buddies and I built a raft out of 12 empty kegs and some plywood for a raft race down the Tar River in Greenville. Along the river, teams of people were lined up on the bank and on the bridge overpass with giant water balloon slingshots to try and hit the people on the rafts. Taking a shot from one of these things launched from 100ft. or directly above you really knocked the snot out of you. Of course, we were pretty tanked anyways, but it still hurt.

I'm not sure which was worse though....fast moving projectiles or the pollution in the river.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
after these stories of adults (or at least college kids) getting hit HARD with these things, I'm laughing at imagining 7yo little Suzie getting clobbered by one and then Laura having to explain to the parents what happened. :rofl:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have the answer... water balloon team toss. Requires 2 kids per team and a lot of teams to be fun. The teams line up face to face and toss a water balloon to each other. After each toss they take a half step backwards and toss again. The object of the game is to be the team that can toss their balloon the the farthest without exploding it.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've been hit in the face with a water balloon thrown from an suv going about 40 mph while riding at night. I estimate the baloon to be easily traveling at 60-75 mph.

It felt the same as getting punched in the nose. I wound up icing down my nose.

Balloon slingshots produce even more force.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have the answer... water balloon team toss. Requires 2 kids per team and a lot of teams to be fun. The teams line up face to face and toss a water balloon to each other. After each toss they take a half step backwards and toss again. The object of the game is to be the team that can toss their balloon the the farthest without exploding it.
Good game! Keep them coming.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Used to have one back in the day that my brother and I would shoot with the nieghbor kid. You can easily achieve distances of 4 to 5 large home lots. I would expect that a direct hit from one might = teh suck.