Quantcast

Have you noticed that movie theaters are not as crowded as they used to be?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
It used to be that I had to get my seat a full 30 minutes before showtime to get a primo seat but over the last year that trend has changed. When I get to the flick that early these days the theater is almost empty.

Is this something that is limited to my area or is it more widespread?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMike said:
not to mention increasing numbers of people wait for stuff to come out on DVD.....

I think that has a lot to do with it.

I wait until my buddy buys the dvd, then I borrow it from him... :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I'm sure mass accessibility of DVDs has something to do with it. Places like NetFlix and such make it pretty cheap to watch movies, and home theaters are more and more common...

No, I haven't really noticed it, though. Theaters where I am seem to be just about as busy as they always have been. Not a really big town, though, and there's only a few theaters in the area.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
I did see a trailer for "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" last night.
:thumb:

I loved those books as a kid.

Will be interesting to see how it translates to a movie and how many creative liberties they take. The books were totally and utterly humorless, and I'm not sure they'll gain the younger audience if they go that route.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
bad movies, expensive tickets, more theatres with thousands of screens, an ever growing phobia of being around large crowds of teenagers ( oh wait, that last one may only pertain to me).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
N8 said:
It used to be that I had to get my seat a full 30 minutes before showtime to get a primo seat but over the last year that trend has changed. When I get to the flick that early these days the theater is almost empty.

Is this something that is limited to my area or is it more widespread?
Went to see Unleashed last night... pretty new movie... 8 people there.
I know when I was a kid there were fewer movie places in town. They seated less and had like 4-6 screens. Now there are even more movie places and half of them have 20+ screens and seat twice as many people. I bet that has something to do with it as well as people having giant TV's and DVD plaers, etc, etc. You can almost get the same experience at home.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. It's the crappy movie thing.

I did see a trailer for "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" last night. Might actually be able to get excited about going to see that movie. :thumb:

-S.S.-
The trailer for that was cool.

Others:

The Black Dahlia (2006)
The Proposition (2005?) written by Nick Cave

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
:thumb:

I loved those books as a kid.

Will be interesting to see how it translates to a movie and how many creative liberties they take. The books were totally and utterly humorless, and I'm not sure they'll gain the younger audience if they go that route.
From the looks of the trailer it appears they are going the route of LOTR, which would kick ass, 'cause TLTWATW ain't really no Harry Potter book.

I really should read those again. It's been probably two decades since I've read them.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
laura said:
bad movies, expensive tickets, more theatres with thousands of screens, an ever growing phobia of being around large crowds of teenagers ( oh wait, that last one may only pertain to me).
Nope. Not just you. Actually, I detest crowds of any sort. It's just that crowds of teenagers are the worst.

-S.S.-

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I think its a combination of sucky movies, dvd availability and the multisuperplexes with 20-30 screens there.

What's sad is that nobody has the 70mm theatres anymore. :( There used to be an old theatre in my town with that and they showed the extended original starwars movies when they came out. Talk about amazing. :D

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Like the article says it's been widely reported what everyone just said. Oh yeah, and paying $15 for a coke and popcorn really sucks too.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Bullitrider said:
Like the article says it's been widely reported what everyone just said. Oh yeah, and paying $15 for a coke and popcorn really sucks too.
Most def, but the timing of the article and thread is really what caught my attention, hence why I linked it. Anyway, I find it funny when people talk about the "experience" of going to the movie. Experience? Yeah, I like being bent over and ****ed when I pay $10+ for a so-so movie. :mumble: F that...some experience huh?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SkaredShtles said:
Yup. It's the crappy movie thing.

I did see a trailer for "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" last night. Might actually be able to get excited about going to see that movie. :thumb:

-S.S.-
Dude! Thanks for the heads up. I loved reading the Chronicles in grade school, even got to play Edmund in our production of TLTWATW. Awesome that they are making a moving out of the books. Will definitely be seeing that. Go check out the trailer if you haven't yet. http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/lb_main.html

The Ito

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
F*ck the cinema. I wanna get the full 5.1 experience on my piss weak sound system and my 29" of fury. Much better than a 30' screen.

J

JRB

korked7 said:
Who visits Biker Fox's site daily.... I DO
You may want to keep that to yourself?? Do you check out the pixie site a bunch, too???