Quantcast

having trouble adjusting Derailleur

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I'm familiar with how to adjust my derailleurs, the limit screws and whatnot. The problem that I'm having is this:

I adjust the derailleurs either with the bike upside down on my living room floor or on a bike stand and everything shifts fine. Once I get back onto the bike and start riding the shifting goes haywire again.

Something about having the system under pressure messes up all my adjustments. I've yet to come up with a method to adjust my derailleurs while riding the bike outside.

Any suggestions?

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm familiar with how to adjust my derailleurs, the limit screws and whatnot. The problem that I'm having is this:

I adjust the derailleurs either with the bike upside down on my living room floor or on a bike stand and everything shifts fine. Once I get back onto the bike and start riding the shifting goes haywire again.

Something about having the system under pressure messes up all my adjustments. I've yet to come up with a method to adjust my derailleurs while riding the bike outside.

Any suggestions?
hang the bike in a bike stand. take the shock out, put the bolts back in, get some zip ties, and run a few of them between the 2 shock bolts. compress suspension till desired, tighten zip-ties.

adjust derailleurs.

of course, i dont know if adjusting derailleurs while the suspension is compressed is going to fix your problems, but if you want to know how to do it, thats my method.