Quantcast

Hawaii

cdrz11

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
this summer i am taking a family vacation to hawaii which in itself is sweet, but i was really wondering if there were downhill sorta things there? it may be a stab in the dark, btw..if anyone has been there or knows of anything there, let me know!! thanks a lot!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
a little vid called the collective had a nice little section in hawaii. now i dont know which island it was on, but hey im sure there is plenty.

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I hit up maui during winter break. Went to the volcano where everyone rides down the road. found some locals who ride dh and they showed me a dh route all they way down the mountain
loose drifty fireroads
more dry single track, partly loose,
single track in the moist fog steep loose drifty
finish with a norshore trail that was pretty sick

I was gonna go ride where they filmed the collective but didnt have enough time.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You have to get in with a local-I went for years and 'heard' of some places here and there, popular spots, etc. But one year my wife and I met a local 'superfan' if you will, he showed us some secret spots that were pretty amazing (on maui) and we rode some other shorter cool spots on oahu, he said there is amazing trails on the big island too, but we never made it there. I lost touch with the guy, but a hardcore local MTBer would be best bet.

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
was his name aaron? the guy i went with(aaron) rode dh and was a mtb fanatic. showed the ppl from the collective where to film it and we hung out with pros at redbull rampage etc. We went on the ride wth some of his other dh buddies and it was sick.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've ridden Maui, including the trails in the Collective.
Fun, fun, fun.

There is a Hawaii forum on mtbr.com ... ask over there and perhaps you can get hooked up by one of the friendly locals.

rollindsm

Chimp
Apr 19, 2007
Lawrence, KS
Hawaii is really fun. I heard about some trails on Maui didn't ride them though, ask the locals. I spent the entire time surfing, if i didn't live in Kansas i would be in surf forums all day long instead of bike forums.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You need to tell us WHICH island or ISLAND's you are going to. Big difference on all of them and each is it's own little "world" very separate from the others.

Molokai has a "ranch" that does nothing but MTB, horse, hike tours.
Maui has the crater www.cratercycles.com so you don't have to bring a bike and rent from him. Paul is the owner. I will never forgive him though b/c He stood me up and ruined the first day of my vacation on Maui. Nothing like flying 15 hours to a dream island with the promise of 10,000 feet of vertical and getting a call of "yeah, we're not going...maybe saturday".

To get in with the locals, go to www.dhhawaii.com. JohnP, formerly of E13 lore, www.guy-trips.com is your man for info alot of the time.

I didn't stay on the big island, but our flight landed there on the way home. I can only imagine how incredible the riding there could be.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Oahu has some Dh...St.Louis hights, on the northshore theres a moto track that has alot of stuff. It's huge lots of trails/freeride..Theres a few places..