Quantcast

hayes disc brake master cyl. ???

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
K, so this weekend I broke the master cylinder on my hayes discs. I have a spesh big hit and it has hayes comps on it. My question is will a hayes mag dh master cylinder work and fit up to the brake hoses that the comps use? I need to order a new one and am wondering which one. Thanks for any advice

werd

Nate

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
There's 2 master cylinders I know of, MAG and HFX-9

Anyone of the MAG should work fine. I dunno if the master cylinder kit comes with everything you need but since you are removing the line you'll need a new compression bushing (like $1 or $2) and that's it. Remove it, change it out, bleed the brakes, be all done!

I know HFX-9's have a different one I think, unless that's at the caliper end? MAG/COMP will work fine though.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Since the Comps are plastic copies of the Mag levers I'll say yes it'll work.

Marketing people use the word "Comp" for cheap products hoping people with think "Competition" but what it really means is "Compromise".

Mike

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Dartman
Since the Comps are plastic copies of the Mag levers I'll say yes it'll work.

Marketing people use the word "Comp" for cheap products hoping people with think "Competition" but what it really means is "Compromise".

Mike
They are not the same shape, and the older comps had a larger master cylinder in order to have more volume.

Not sure this is still the case, but you may want to check.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by Transcend
They are not the same shape, and the older comps had a larger master cylinder in order to have more volume.

Not sure this is still the case, but you may want to check.
yeah, that's what I was wondering. It came on an 02 Big Hit and I looked a little more closely at it and I think the master cylinders can be flip flopped to either side as they have the "Hayes Comp" emblem on both the top and bottom of the reservior body

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
yeah, that's what I was wondering. It came on an 02 Big Hit and I looked a little more closely at it and I think the master cylinders can be flip flopped to either side as they have the "Hayes Comp" emblem on both the top and bottom of the reservior body
wait a minute, do you need the perch, lever body or master cylinder? They are all different parts.

The perch is what attaches to the bar, the lever body is where the lever blade pins in and the master cylinder is the actual rubber bladder inside the lever body that has the pin that sticks out that you thread a line over.

If you need a lever body, get a mag (mag means magnesium, as opposed to crappy plastic, and it also has a screw not a silly plastic plug to close it.)

They are most definetly different, get the one that your system needs.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by Transcend
wait a minute, do you need the perch, lever body or master cylinder? They are all different parts.

The perch is what attaches to the bar, the lever body is where the lever blade pins in and the master cylinder is the actual rubber bladder inside the lever body that has the pin that sticks out that you thread a line over.

If you need a lever body, get a mag (mag means magnesium, as opposed to crappy plastic, and it also has a screw not a silly plastic plug to close it.)

They are most definetly different, get the one that your system needs.
basically it broke right where the green line in the pic is. I need the piece that the lever bolts to