Quantcast

Hayes Hydos Pad Rub - Need Help

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
Okay I have only had my bike for two weeks and I am having problems with my front disc brake. I can't seem to get the pads from rubbing on the rotor. I have taken the pads out and made sure the pistons are pushed back all the way. They were sticking out a little. After I push them back they are okay until I start riding again for any amount of time. They start rubbing right away.

My back brake is fine. Neither give me any squeeking sound only rubbing in the front.

What to do to fix the piston from keep coming out and not going back in?

:confused:

NJPhil

Chimp
Dec 3, 2001
New Jersey
After you push the piston back in do you loosen the caliper from the fork? You should do that then grab the front brake, it will center itself, then tighten the caliper in place. Hope that helps, oh and welcome to the :monkey: :thumb: .

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
I did have the caliper off the fork when I was pushing the piston back in. I did not squeeze the brake after I pushed it back in. I will give that a try.

Thanks.

Husar

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Next time you recenter the caliper after pushing back the pads, put a business card on either side of the rotor, so that the caliper centers itself on a thicker rotor. It'll give you a little more lever throw and clearance.

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
Thanks guys. I think I finally fixed the run. I took the caliper off and pushed the piston back in. Then put the caliper back on like was suggested. I really had to eyeball the placement of the caliper and try to line it up as best I could. Then I used the business cards like was suggested. I now have to rub at all. I hope it holds up. I will give a test ride later today and see what happens.

Also, looking at the marks on my rotors I noticed that the washer that for the bold that holds the caliper on was also slightly rubbing. This was caused because the washers on the Hayes in not round like the bolt. They are oblong for some reason. When tightened I had to make sure they were not protruding past the caliper ends.

Thanks again guys.

Husar

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm having the same problem with my Hayes. I tried the business card trick but it didn't work. I watched the pads very carefully while I did this and realized that one of my pads pushes out but doesn't every retract. The other side retracts fine. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe I need some sort of brake rebuild?

Husar

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
KC Area
That is exactly what mine was doing. I did a business card on both sides then did a single one on the side that was not going in. I had to do it a few times but they eventually evened out.

I seemed to have this problem when it was very hot out. After I fixed it using the cards I have never had it again.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I'm having the same problem with my Hayes. I tried the business card trick but it didn't work. I watched the pads very carefully while I did this and realized that one of my pads pushes out but doesn't every retract. The other side retracts fine. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe I need some sort of brake rebuild?
You need to service your caliper. New piston kit is $8-10 a side and comes with instructions. I don't know if you can just service them without buying the new piston kits, but I'm not one for sweating a couple bucks to ensure working parts.

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
Wait!!! dont buy a new re-build kit just yet!!!

when you notice the problem of a piston not retracting on any hydraulic disc try this first...

take the caliper off the bike, take the brake pad of the piston which is NOT retracting out, get something that you can use to hold back the other piston (the one with the pad) so need to use something clean and that won't damege the caliper or the pad (a DH tire lever works great, use the longer flatter end), while holding the pad back squeeze the lever 3-4 times BE CAREFULL NOT TO PUSH THE PISTON OUT!!! then push the piston back in and repeat several times. this procedure helps to move fluid around the piston and lubricate the quad-ring ("o" ring that seals the piston) they tend to dry up sometimes like in hot weather like you expirienced. just continue to do until both pistons move equaly.
If that did nothing, then , well you'll need that re-build after all.

R

rstrange1

If the piston wasn't dry there could be dirt contamination, so after moving the quad pivot bleed em with fresh fluid.