Quantcast

Hayes Lever Mod

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
The way I have my Hayes set up, I end up with my first finger at the bend in the lever. I'm curious if anyone has ever just cut off the rest of the lever and dremeled out the rough edges. I know, I know. I could just buy a set of replacement levers, but I'd just like to know if anyone has tried this.

With the rest of the lever gone there would be nothing to hit the rest of my knuckles and I could set the lever closers to the bars.

Just a thought.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I just slide my levers in on the bars so I can barely get 2 fingers on the end of the lever. I get more leverage and feel, my hands don't fatigue as quickly and I am less likely to bend a lever in a crash.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i havent done it, but i do know of people that have. and they did the same thing that DROP said, theyll left enough space for 2 fingers even tho they use one

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
why not move the lever over so your index is on the end of the lever. That way you get twice the leverage. Assuming our setp allows for this of course.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
that might work... but you wont be able to stop, there's not enough leverage. if you want stoping power, and the ability to adjust the lever position. honestly, go with juicy 7's I'm way happier with them than any hayes that I've ever ridden.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
iridebikes said:
that might work... but you wont be able to stop, there's not enough leverage. if you want stoping power, and the ability to adjust the lever position. honestly, go with juicy 7's I'm way happier with them than any hayes that I've ever ridden.
I've honestly never had a problem stopping using one finger on my hayes, and I'm not in the market for a new set of brakes. I can't adjust the shifter side lever in farther because I'm running an XTR shift pod that prevents you from doing it.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll just leave them alone, or get a set of replacement levers sometime down the road.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Lex said:
I've honestly never had a problem stopping using one finger on my hayes, and I'm not in the market for a new set of brakes. I can't adjust the shifter side lever in farther because I'm running an XTR shift pod that prevents you from doing it.
Run the brake lever to the inside of the shifter? I run mine that way, works great. I get one finger on the very end of the lever at the 'hook' (GRC's work really well for this).

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
DßR said:
Run the brake lever to the inside of the shifter? I run mine that way, works great. I get one finger on the very end of the lever at the 'hook' (GRC's work really well for this).
Cool. I'll give that a try and see how it feels.

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Run the brake lever to the inside of the shifter? I run mine that way, works great.
Yeah, do that. I have mine that way and I can brake with my index and reach the shifter with my middle finger. Braking & shifting at the same time = :evil:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lex said:
I can't adjust the shifter side lever in farther because I'm running an XTR shift pod that prevents you from doing it.
Take off those dang shift indicators so you can run the lever on the other side!

They always break anyway, and since your still using a long lever you get much more leverage which roughly translates to: less fatigue, more power, better "feel" (IMO).

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Biscuit said:
and since your still using a long lever you get much more leverage which roughly translates to: less fatigue, more power, better "feel" (IMO).

word, touch the end of the lever of any any hope, hayes, shimano etc etc and it will stop you ASAP