pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
hope
shimano
formula
magura-avid-hayes

in the order i like the hopes have been AWESOME for me, the shimanos have always felt good imo. formula i havent had more then 1 dh run on but felt pretty solid, they come on the commencal meta im getting so ill have a better feel for them, i put magura avid and hayes in the same group because i dont like the feel. also i dont understand what the need for on the fly pad placement is. i have never been riding along and said you know what i think i want my brakes to feel like poop. i dont like how magura thinks the lever should be super far away from bars, the stock avid levers always seem to flexy imo. hayes is stuck with 10year old out dated tech maybe the new strokers are better. hope is also really easy to bleed.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Hope
Formula
Shimano

On a side note, I just mounted the formulas up yesterday and haven't even gotten a real ride on them yet, but they feel amazing and they aren't even broken in yet

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Formula Oro
Avid Juicy
Formula 4 Racing/Extreme, Shimano XT-06
Hope Mono

I got my first Formulas in -02 when everybody rode Hayes Mag (and to a small extent Hope and Gustavs) who thought they were the **** (for several more years too) and I just couldn't get through to people about how good they were.

Everybody were thinking of 1st generation Formulas from the -90ies and got a mind block every time they heard of the name. :) Luckily when Saint came (also with some help from Hope) people started realizing what breaks could actually feel like.

But without the might of Shimano this would probably have taken even more years..

Squeegee

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
DC Metro area
any of these brakes including hopes/older shimano are a waste of time if they don't have self-centering calipers like hayes/avid/newer shimanos

shimming calipers over the rotors is a pain in the a$$ and why do it if you can buy self centering models?

agreed, look at juicy's...they've copied the best features of every other brake system out there...pad contact adjustment is very handy imo

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
*cough*...Brembo... (laughs maniacally and runs away to the secret parts stash).

Otherwise, if the monies is not an issue, it's hard to go wrong with Hope.
If $$$ is kind of an issue, Magura and Shimano will treat you right.
Our experience is that Avid brakes can sometimes be a crap shoot.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maguras have great power and are hard to destroy but give little modulation and adjustability. If it suits you get them, it suited me anyway.

I'm not so sure about hope. My friend had a hope and i remember that it was constantly blocking his back wheel on hard trails