Quantcast

Hayes Primes?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Rode some protos for a while.

Nothing special a far as performance. Adjustmnet knob didn't seem to do *hit.

Super bogus as far as shape/size. Huge and bulky in all the wrong ways. Look plain stupid on the bars, like cattle horns or something.

Formula Ones or Saints both far superior big bikes.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
They're on my list for next year. I'm going to try them on my trail and DH bike. They are supposed to be more powerful than the Strokers but I'm not sure if they'll be replacements for the Aces.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Love my Aces, would like to try these out. May have to replace my Stroker Rydes, as this would be a significant upgrade.

I would certainly like to get rid of my Avid Juicy's. They are teh bootay.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
its a hayes so you might as well throw it out before you unpackage it
a few years ago I would have agreed with you. The new generation Hayes is pretty damn good. I've been running the Stroker Aces for a while now and am pretty impressed.

The Primes are supposed to have the same power if not more, and better modulation. I don't agree with one of the posts above saying they are large and ugly. They're no bigger than any other brake out there, and I think the styling is nice.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
They're on my list for next year. I'm going to try them on my trail and DH bike. They are supposed to be more powerful than the Strokers but I'm not sure if they'll be replacements for the Aces.
Clayton Goldsmith told me we won't miss our Aces at all. I inquired because I was curious if the master cylinder moved enough fluid volume to run Ace calipers and he said no need - - that the Prime is the "most powerful Hayes yet." Lots of 'Shore testing and no complaints of fade according to him.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Clayton Goldsmith told me we won't miss our Aces at all. I inquired because I was curious if the master cylinder moved enough fluid volume to run Ace calipers and he said no need - - that the Prime is the "most powerful Hayes yet." Lots of 'Shore testing and no complaints of fade according to him.
That would be pretty freaking sweet if they could cover DH. I'm digging that black color.

I have Strokers on my 6" bike and Aces on the DH and love them, the Prime looks awesome.

*And all of you Hayes haters need to try the new ones.:thumb:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
For those saying the new style hayes elver is big and bulky........ Its smaller than the saints.

Not sure what the adjustments are.............. But look to be alot of the same build as the strokers. Should work pretty damn good.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I absolutely love my Stoker Aces. They took a bit longer than expected to burnish(?) in, but after they did, they're working flawlessly!

If the Primes are anything like the Aces, they should be good. But then again, the ECs were supposed to be a great thing, and look at those now.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I thought they were the same as Strokers but with pad contact adjust.

My Strokers feel pretty good but rub now and then. Sometimes the pistons get sticky and they don't have a lot of pad clearance. My Formula The Ones work better, are lighter, and look better.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I really really liked my stroker carbons until I got new gen saints.

Then I realized they were an XC brake. I don't miss them in the slightest.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I really really liked my stroker carbons until I got new gen saints.

Then I realized they were an XC brake. I don't miss them in the slightest.
What gave it away? Was it all the carbon? The marketing to XC weiners? HOW DID YOU POSSIBLY FIGURE OUT THAT STROKER CARBONZ ARE FOR TEH XC!!!!!?!?!?!?!1/1?!1?!?!?!one!/1?1/!!!!!

:D

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
For those saying the new style hayes elver is big and bulky........ Its smaller than the saints.

Not sure what the adjustments are.............. But look to be alot of the same build as the strokers. Should work pretty damn good.
I gurantee you're wrong. The Hayes stick out way more, to the point of looking just plain weird. Which was the exact comment I got almost everyday when they were on my bike.

But it doesn't really matter bacause the performance of the Hayes isn't even in the same relm as Saints.

It's like comparing a Porsche to a Fiero.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Every new Hayes i've had the pleasure to touch always has the sticky lever problem they all had.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I gurantee you're wrong. The Hayes stick out way more, to the point of looking just plain weird. Which was the exact comment I got almost everyday when they were on my bike.

But it doesn't really matter bacause the performance of the Hayes isn't even in the same relm as Saints.

It's like comparing a Porsche to a Fiero.
Im going to go out on a limb here...... we have a different idea as to what some will consider a big lever.....

And sorry, the aces are very much a comparable brake to the saints........

IN fact you know what people have been telling me for saints they hate..... How much the lever blade itself feels like friggin palstic.

Bottom line, older hayes.... I hated... New strokers, trails or higher... I love, fit my hands great, more than enough power, easy to adjust and maintain.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What gave it away? Was it all the carbon? The marketing to XC weiners? HOW DID YOU POSSIBLY FIGURE OUT THAT STROKER CARBONZ ARE FOR TEH XC!!!!!?!?!?!?!1/1?!1?!?!?!one!/1?1/!!!!!

:D
They're literally the same brake as the stroker trails, with a carbon lever... Would you use a juicy 7 with a carbon lever for DH? lots of people did. Lots of people probably still do. Lots of people use stroker trails for DH. I never had any big complaints about them, they always felt reasonably strong. Just, not as good as my saints. I would love to try out a set of the primes to see if they're actually stronger, but I'm too in love with my saints.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
They have been making small fine adjustments thru out the summer to get them dialed before they do full production lines of glitched brakes.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
They have been making small fine adjustments thru out the summer to get them dialed before they do full production lines of glitched brakes.
lol
Why spend all that time just to do a full production line of glitched brakes? Give us the glitched brakes now! :rofl:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
lol
Why spend all that time just to do a full production line of glitched brakes? Give us the glitched brakes now! :rofl:
Hardy har har. :rolleyes:

What he meant to say was that Hayes is really taking their time to make sure everything is dialed rather than releasing something that isn't perfect. The company is doing their very best to only release great products these days.

Same reason why the Manitou Circus jump fork hasn't hit market yet - they've been refining the castings 'til they will truly hold up to the abuse they're intended to take.