Quantcast

Hayes rear mount question

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
on cambria there is a set of hayes for 135. the description says "Rear 22mm direct mount with flip-flop lever, 6" rotor Champagne only"
what do they mean by 22mm direct mount? will that work with an international standard disk mount? also what do they mean by champagne? thanks

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Champagne is the purplish color (as opposed to the black). I think that the 22 mm mount only means that it will only work on Hayes-specific mounts, rather than on IS + adaptors. I'm likely wrong on this last point, though.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
The 22mm mount is a special caliper Hayes made to fit select Trek and a few other bikes that used the system for a short while. They mounted by two holes spaced 22mm apart on (usually) the chainstay. They will not fit IS mounts without some sort of adapter, and I'm not aware of any adapters for the 22mm caliper.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
hayes does make an IS -> 22mm adapter, and there's another company (locally distributed through Wilson Bicycle Sales) that makes a 22mm -> IS adapter.

woot.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think some DH bike sstill use that 22mm rear mount...you can get the adapter from Hayes. I saw one at a local shop but it'll be a more expensive adapter since they probably don't make a lot of them...maybe $20 (Hayes sorta prices differently from the more common adapters for $10 and the more rare ones). From what I read on the Hayes site, the 22mm mount is apparently stronger...something about distributing the brake forces better (correct me if I'm wrong someone)

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Yes the 22mm direct mount is still used. My Cheeta uses it as does my Iron Horse G-spot, and my friends Army has the 22mm Direct mount. I don't know how much stronger it is but atleast there isn't a need for an additional adapter that can loosen up.

Attachments

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Big John
Yes the 22mm direct mount is still used. My Cheeta uses it as does my Iron Horse G-spot, and my friends Army has the 22mm Direct mount. I don't know how much stronger it is but atleast there isn't a need for an additional adapter that can loosen up.
Karpiel used those also. Kind of a pain, IMO.

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Karpiel used those also. Kind of a pain, IMO.
Right I said the Army uses it but wasn't sure if the Disco did. I have run both I.S. and 22 direct and they both seem about the same to set up. One thing I have noticed with the I.S. is the mounting tabs seemed a little flimsy(they look easily bendable).
Just my .02

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Big John

Right I said the Army uses it but wasn't sure if the Disco did. I have run both I.S. and 22 direct and they both seem about the same to set up. One thing I have noticed with the I.S. is the mounting tabs seemed a little flimsy(they look easily bendable).
Just my .02
There fine on the new frames