Quantcast

hbo's the pacific

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
i hope you are joking me. or pass some of that sh!t over this way.
ive seen better acting and war movies on nickelodeon
Harsh Rice, the attention to detail is superb and the Aussie actors I knew in part 3 are all solid. Editing is a bit hit or miss though.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Harsh Rice, the attention to detail is superb and the Aussie actors I knew in part 3 are all solid. Editing is a bit hit or miss though.
the attention to detail and most of the battle scenes are great, i admit that. but the acting and just the overall production feel is poop IMO. it seems like they are desperately trying to recreate a war movie/mini series in today's time, but in BoB or even Saving Ryans Privates, it seemed more like you were actual there watching what was actually going on. (does that make sense?:confused:)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
the attention to detail and most of the battle scenes are great, i admit that. but the acting and just the overall production feel is poop IMO. it seems like they are desperately trying to recreate a war movie/mini series in today's time, but in BoB or even Saving Ryans Privates, it seemed more like you were actual there watching what was actually going on. (does that make sense?:confused:)
I agree, BoB was gritty and the editing,lighting and effects made you feel like you were down in the mud and the trenches with the guys. There are times while watching the Pacific I actually forget it's supposed to be 1942 because the way it's filmed makes it seem like modern day. I think the reasoning for this is the series is trying to set itself apart from BoB rather than recreating it. They tend to focus on the "human" aspect of the soldiers/war whereas BoB seemed to focus more on the individual battles and war. It's not terrible but it's certainly not BoB.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The series is over 10 episodes so we'll probably need to judge the whole thing but so far I'm a believer.
It's also interesting to plot the evolution of American TV. No f*cks or tits in BoB.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BoB took a bunch of guys no one (outside of readers of the book) had really ever heard of, and made us really know who they were and care about them.

The Pacific takes John [mother****in'!] Basilone and Chesty Puller and somehow turns them into just another two guys in olive drab with guns.

Ed: VB, interesting note that Daniel Dye, the military consultant on this and many other movies/shows (he actually played Col Sink in BoB), got some light criticism from some WWII vets for making the dialogue more profanity-ridden than they claim they actually were...people insist he's got a penchant for making the military men of every era speak like it's always the Vietnam war they're fighting.

EdII: BoB also had a surprisingly graphic, yet somehow innocent, "rail-the-fraulein" scene in one of the last episodes...with great big blonde Aryan boobies...

Last edited:

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I personally think it's a great mini-series. All of the episodes are online in decent quality, you just gotta know where to look ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
EdII: BoB also had a surprisingly graphic, yet somehow innocent, "rail-the-fraulein" scene in one of the last episodes...with great big blonde Aryan boobies...
capt speers interrupted the moment of coitus inquiring about postage or mail if i recall....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
snafu tossing pebbles into the top of a dead mans mans head......grisly.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the series keeps getting worse and worse. 2-7 so far.

the acting in last week's episode was dreadful. the rocky mountain scene looked like it in a garage.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm liking it. Will continue watching it.

But it's no BoB...

I agree with whats already been said: BoB was real. You were there.
This one comes across as a group of actors dressed up in costumes reenacting a war.

As I said though, it's watchable.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's a shame they couldn't reuse the actors from band of brothers...same actors different characters.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I agree with whats already been said: BoB was real. You were there.
This one comes across as a group of actors dressed up in costumes reenacting a war.
truff.
the scenery isnt what i was expecting either. they spent over $100mil on this series, youd think the scenery would be top notch

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just an FYI - if you haven't watched Ken Burns' "The War" you should get it. They have just an incredible amount of video footage put together... "real" war footage.
he did do a fantastic job with that series. im a sucker for a good WWII documentary, which is why The Pacific isnt sitting so well with me.
the European theater has been covered pretty extensively in movies, so i was excited to see something in the pacific. but the bad acting, bad scenery and overall bad production makes it hard to believe the same people did BoB and Saving Ryan's Privates.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Lets be honest, nothing can be compared with Saving Private Ryan, it is simply the finest portrayal of world war two ever made.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"Memphis Belle" better than Saving Private Ryan??

Stalingrad.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
anyone catch the chick from Fringe in episode 5? she was the starlet Basilone was railing. didnt recognize her at first until she started talking

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm on the last episode and I really like this series.

We couldn't get my grandpa to ever talk about his time in the pacific, I can see why now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i still cant believe its up for so many awards.
Awards shamawards... does anybody really care about that crap? If Tom Hanks has any relation to a WW II movie or miniseries it wins awards. FACT!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I do....especially since this got a lot more nominations than BoB and this mini-series stunk IMO compared to BoB
BoB was a great series, this one IMO focused on the mental aspects of the soldiers.
Everybody cracked in this series. They showed the inequalities amongst the new recruits, draftees, CB's, etc...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
BoB was a great series, this one IMO focused on the mental aspects of the soldiers.
Everybody cracked in this series. They showed the inequalities amongst the new recruits, draftees, CB's, etc...
that part of the series was good, but the production of the series stunk. for $100+mil in production cost, you would think something better would come out of it. i love WWII movies and this just had the feel of a story retold in current times. it didnt have the grit of other movies and or mini-series....just like Generation Kill lacked

plus, the majority of the actors stunk especially Sledge

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
that part of the series was good, but the production of the series stunk. for $100+mil in production cost, you would think something better would come out of it. i love WWII movies and this just had the feel of a story retold in current times. it didnt have the grit of other movies and or mini-series....just like Generation Kill lacked

plus, the majority of the actors stunk especially Sledge
Ha, Sledge was ok....

I hear ya, one thing I did keep thinking was "Wow these are some amazing sets"

The Okinawa set was pretty amazing.

I'm watching episode 10 tonight.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I hear ya, one thing I did keep thinking was "Wow these are some amazing sets"

The Okinawa set was pretty amazing.
yeah, the Okinawa set was great....but how many times did you say "great set" during BoB?

I know i compare the two a lot, but its almost impossible not to.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
yeah, the Okinawa set was great....but how many times did you say "great set" during BoB?

I know i compare the two a lot, but its almost impossible not to.
Yeah true, the Pacific seemed like it was supposed to be BoB part 2. BoB was dark but I think The Pacific took a more modern realistic look at the darkness of war.