Quantcast

HD signal - cables and jacks

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm making the move to HD this weekend (via Directv). I know my TV is, so there shouldn't be any problems there. However, I'm not sure about my projector. Can an HD signal be sent to the projector with component video cables? I know my projector doesn't have HDMI inputs, and I'm pretty sure my sat receiver won't have a DVI out.

Thanks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Component and HDMI can both carry HD signals. Using components there is a small quality hit, as it comverts digital to analog and back. HDMI is pure digital. You also lose a few of the handy features, like handshaking (where the TV and cable box figure out the best output resolution on their own etc). Only HDMI can carry 1080p, but no affordable projectors that I know of can do that anyways.

edit: I meant to say affordable projectors.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
component cables typically look better than most hdmi equipped sets. although hdmi is digital, it usually doesnt look better. if you projector has dvi, you can get a adapter to convert an hdmi to dvi, but you will loose the audio.
if your projector can do 1080p, which most new projectors can, it really wont matter because satellite or cable cannot do 1080p, it can do 1080i and 720p
depending on which directv box you get, it might have a dvi output. if it does, i would still stick with the component cables. you will need 5 cables total for audio and video compared to the one cable of hdmi, but it should still look better. just because hdmi is uncompressed digital, doesnt mean it will look better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You mentioned not having HDMI inputs or DVI outputs... HDMI and DVI are interchangeable via an inexpensive converter. They easily convert back and forth because they're both digital signals. So if you have HDMI out on the cable box, you can plug it into your DVI in on the projector.

http://www.monoprice.com has lots of converters.

Otherwise, Transcend has got ya' covered :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
just because hdmi is uncompressed digital, doesnt mean it will look better.
This is true, but since you simply cannot do 1080p without it, the best quality signal (say for hd dvd, blue ray, xbox 360 etc) simply isn't available. It is part of the standard for HD devices, they are not allowed to transmit 1080p over an unsecured analog connection. Only a few sets even support it, and they have no sources.

Also, most cable boxes I have seen SUCK at the conversion process and degrade the signal, although this isn't the fault of the cable, as you point out. TV vary wildly in how well they do the analog to digital conversion back as well. Some are superb, and some simply look horrible.

Also, the digital handshaking is a fantastic feature.

Monoprice rules. I have picked up a ton of stuff from them. Their 4$ hdmi cables as just as good as the $50 monster ones at your local big box.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Not to thread jack, but I have a HDTV and use a DVR from Comcast. When I hooked up the HDMI cable from the TV and DVR I got the message that my "HDMI port is blocked on the DVR". I couldn't find a solution so I hooked it up with component cables. Any ideas of how to unblock the HDMI port or should I just call Comcast and see what the deal is? Didn't want to call Comcast in fear that they might charge me for HD service although I already have it with the DVR.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
This is true, but since you simply cannot do 1080p without it, the best quality signal (say for hd dvd, blue ray, xbox 360 etc) simply isn't available. It is part of the standard for HD devices, they are not allowed to transmit 1080p over an unsecured analog connection. Only a few sets even support it, and they have no sources.

Also, most cable boxes I have seen SUCK at the conversion process and degrade the signal, although this isn't the fault of the cable, as you point out. TV vary wildly in how well they do the analog to digital conversion back as well. Some are superb, and some simply look horrible.

Also, the digital handshaking is a fantastic feature.

Monoprice rules. I have picked up a ton of stuff from them. Their 4$ hdmi cables as just as good as the $50 monster ones at your local big box.
well only a few things wrong in your comment.
1.yes you can do 1080p without hdmi. component has been able to do 1080p for some time now.
2.who says they arent allowed to do 1080p over "unsecure analog connection?" 1080p is 1080p no matter what. when you are talking about HDCP then you have somewhat of a point. Most new high definition video sources are using HDMI because it cuts down the need for all the wires and can support such things as Deep Colour, True Gamma, Dolby Tue HD,blah blah blah. it has the ability to use HDCP, but not all companies are using HDCP.
3.most newer HD tvs are now 1080p. 720p/770p is now a thing of the past. Most all manufacturers produce more than one 1080p models. this has been true since the beginning of last year.
some new 1080p tv's are now using 120hz refresh rates also.
4.the conversion process is done by the TV, not the cable box. if your tv has a weak ass signal processor and or display engine, then it will look like crap. although people have "digital cable", they are still using a analog input, the coax cable, to get their source. Satellite is the only "true 100%" digital source of broadcast.
5. a $4 cable looks the same as a $50 cable you are right, but the saying goes, you get what you paid for. Monster's products are a rip off and people should not buy them.
there are better brands out there with better quality. people get it stuck in their head that they need "those monster cables" or "that bose(p.o.s.)"
6. "digital handshake" has more to do with firewire/IEEE1394 in which your tv, sat box, computer, dvd recorder...all install themselves to each other so you can operate all equipment with one remote and 1 cable per unit.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Not to thread jack, but I have a HDTV and use a DVR from Comcast. When I hooked up the HDMI cable from the TV and DVR I got the message that my "HDMI port is blocked on the DVR". I couldn't find a solution so I hooked it up with component cables. Any ideas of how to unblock the HDMI port or should I just call Comcast and see what the deal is? Didn't want to call Comcast in fear that they might charge me for HD service although I already have it with the DVR.
its probably a problem with the box. all three of my comcast HDDVR w/ hdmi work fine. if you are already getting charged for HD content then you wont be charged again. You pay a seperate fee for the DVR and for HD service. if they come out to your house they will probally charge you. If there is a Comcast location close to you, bring your old box and exchange it. I would still call them first to find out wtf the problem is.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
1.yes you can do 1080p without hdmi. component has been able to do 1080p for some time now.
All well and good, but the sources that are available (Xbox360, PS3, Blu-Ray, HD DVD) won't output 1080p over component so it doesn't really matter. You can hook up your computer via a VGA-to-component cable, I guess, but that's about it.
2.who says they arent allowed to do 1080p over "unsecure analog connection?" 1080p is 1080p no matter what. when you are talking about HDCP then you have somewhat of a point.
That is what he's talking about and it's more than "somewhat" of a point. HDCP has been accepted by the industry, so you won't be finding many sources that will output 1080p over component. Even if not all companies have accepted the standard, most will still want to be able to comply with it if need be... and that means 1080p stays digital.
3.most newer HD tvs are now 1080p. 720p/770p is now a thing of the past.
That's ridiculous. I need numbers to support that. I virtually guarantee that the VAST majority of HD displays sold are 720p, not 1080p. Just because it's not the latest technology doesn't make it a thing of the past if that's the majority of what's being sold.
6. "digital handshake" has more to do with firewire/IEEE1394 in which your tv, sat box, computer, dvd recorder...all install themselves to each other so you can operate all equipment with one remote and 1 cable per unit.
Um... what? "Handshake" is a completely generic term used to describe the process where two devices make a two-way connection and exchange information. It's not specific to Firewire or anything else.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
1.most BluRay players out there WILL output 1080p over component, although the output it always decided by the studio of the movie that is being produced. Please see this one example of the Pioneer Elite BDP94HD which clearly states that it will do 1080p over component.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/kuro/enhanced/article/two/0,,2076_310705309_316288834,00.html
2.most companies have not adapted HDCP. my company has yet to do it as well as the majority of the manufactures out there as well. with HDCP you sometimes run into issues with tv and dvd players not syncing up and not working all together. this holds true for sat boxes as well.
3.i had never said that 1080p is outselling 720p/770p, but rather i said that 720p/770p is a thing of the past and that most manufacturers are making more than one model at 1080p resolution. the majority of the tv's that my company is selling is at 1080p resolution. 1080p has been the "buzz" word for most retail salesman for sometime now and it will continue to grow stronger comparibly to the lower resolution tv's. as i mentioned also, 1080p 60hz tv's are also older technology compared to 120hz tv's and our new prototype 180hz tv's.
4."digital handshake" is not really a generic term. no one in the industry refers to "digital handshake" as anything anymore. when firewire was suppose to revolutionize the consumer electronics market people used that "buzz" word to talk about how everything would be compatible with each other and be able to work in unison with each other as well. no one uses that phrase when talking about hdmi and nor does all products automatically select the right output resolution that is best for you setup.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
2.who says they arent allowed to do 1080p over "unsecure analog connection?" 1080p is 1080p no matter what. when you are talking about HDCP then you have somewhat of a point. Most new high definition video sources are using HDMI because it cuts down the need for all the wires and can support such things as Deep Colour, True Gamma, Dolby Tue HD,blah blah blah. it has the ability to use HDCP, but not all companies are using HDCP.
3.most newer HD tvs are now 1080p. 720p/770p is now a thing of the past. Most all manufacturers produce more than one 1080p models. this has been true since the beginning of last year.
some new 1080p tv's are now using 120hz refresh rates also.
4.the conversion process is done by the TV, not the cable box. if your tv has a weak ass signal processor and or display engine, then it will look like crap. although people have "digital cable", they are still using a analog input, the coax cable, to get their source. Satellite is the only "true 100%" digital source of broadcast.
5. a $4 cable looks the same as a $50 cable you are right, but the saying goes, you get what you paid for. Monster's products are a rip off and people should not buy them.
there are better brands out there with better quality. people get it stuck in their head that they need "those monster cables" or "that bose(p.o.s.)"
Please read again. Any standards following device will not do 1080p over component. AACS does not allow this. Do you need a link to the standard? There is a temporary "agreement" between manufacturers to allow this (on some units) until 2010. Then, ICT becomes an issue. This was put in place to support both the xbox 360 hddvd and the sony ps3 which both lack HDMI connections.

720p is far from dead. Most tv's are still sold at 720p, the overpriced minority are shipping 1080p. There are also barely any 1080p sources available, so it's a moot point.

Also, cable boxes also convert the signal. If it comes in as digital terrestrial or sattelite signal at 1080i or 480i for that matter, how do you think it travels along an analog medium? :rolleyes: Maybe your "I'm in the industry" cable box is magical?

Digital handshake is a generic term. It has nothing whatsoever to do with firewire.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
so i guess the people at pioneer dont know what they are talking about huh?
and i would like to see where aacs mentions it on their lack of a website.
How's this for an explanation?

AACS-compliant players must follow guidelines pertaining to outputs over analog connections. This is set by a flag called the Image Constraint Token (ICT), which restricts the resolution for analog outputs to 960×540. Full 1920×1080 resolution is restricted to HDMI outputs with HDCP.
As mentioned it is up to the studios, some of which have already implemented it, most of which will be doing so by 2010.

Also, after some of the bug ridden, utter crap I have owned from pioneer, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know what they were talking about at times.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
4."digital handshake" is not really a generic term. no one in the industry refers to "digital handshake" as anything anymore. when firewire was suppose to revolutionize the consumer electronics market people used that "buzz" word to talk about how everything would be compatible with each other and be able to work in unison with each other as well.
This is like Specialized's bastardization of the term "4-bar."

Digital handshake IS a generic term, period - the end. There is no dispute. Just like 4-bar is a generic term. It doesn't matter what someone tried to do with the term from a marketing standpoint, that has no bearing whatsoever on what the term really means and whether is an appropriate way of describing a type of electronic communication. A digital handshake describes nothing more than two devices establishing a two-way adjacency.