Quantcast

HDR Photography

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone else get into this? I really see no purpose unless you have an HD display, but it looks cool nontheless.

A friends...my camera doesn't do well with it, don't know why. The WB sensor in the Coolpix 995s sucks, and HDR relies a lot on that soo...A620 this week.

For those of you that don't know, HDR (at least in the photochop sense)=smooshing a bunch of different exposures together. Typically you're supposed to go from -2 in the light meter to +2 (3 or 4 pics) in order to get the best looking shot.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
I use that technique a bit to get exposures of things that would otherwise be extremely hard to get. (ie: backlit subjetcs in dark clothing).
Ah, yes, I see where it becomes useful then. I did notice that effect when I was just shooting random crap around my apt. Everything gets lit up.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
Ah, yes, I see where it becomes useful then. I did notice that effect when I was just shooting random crap around my apt. Everything gets lit up.
I'm not sure where HD (i am presuming high def, as in 1080i/p etc) come into this?

It is simply compositing several different exposures. People have been using this technique for years.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
you don't need an HD display to see the photo... the hd in HDR stands for high dynamic range.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
you just need a good monitor to be able to appreciate it...

hdr photos just have a greater difference between the brightest point & the darkest point... tend to make things look more realistic...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
given that we're limited by the sRGB gamut that most monitors (don't quite) display, is there really a point?

since switching to a dSLR some years back i haven't really had a problem with blown highlights. then again i don't try to shoot in horrible light...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Toshi said:
given that we're limited by the sRGB gamut that most monitors (don't quite) display, is there really a point?

since switching to a dSLR some years back i haven't really had a problem with blown highlights. then again i don't try to shoot in horrible light...
print, better monitors/color spaces down the road(?), more data points for interpolation(?)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I remember reading something about High Dynamic Range displays. All I remember is that black actually looked black (comparison video clip) and they were $$$

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bjanga said:
I remember reading something about High Dynamic Range displays. All I remember is that black actually looked black (comparison video clip) and they were $$$
A few companies currently make displays that will show the entire profoto color space. They cost an absurd amount of money however. I believe the top end Eizos do this, and they cost anywhere from 4-8k.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Yeah, I think the idea is that the contrast ratios(?) are huge, so the display be so bright that it can simulate, for example, the glare form sun shining through trees as in blue's photo.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Transcend said:
A few companies currently make displays that will show the entire profoto color space. They cost an absurd amount of money however. I believe the top end Eizos do this, and they cost anywhere from 4-8k.
Sick monitors those are. A place I used to freelance at has them for all their retouchers. I :love: them :love: :love: :love: them. Wish I could justify one myself.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
caboverpete said:
HDR images are used alot in 3d imaging as a source of dynamic and realistic lighting.
Yes, I did use it for a video clip, where a 'real' actress and a 3D character where dancing together in room with big windows.
It took me awhile to get it right, but without the HDR technique
I would have made different textures for the 3D character and also make a bazillion different renders to get it 'the same' as the real thing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
spincrazy said:
Sick monitors those are. A place I used to freelance at has them for all their retouchers. I :love: them :love: :love: :love: them. Wish I could justify one myself.
Ya, you and me both. I actually contemplated one for awhile myself, before I realized I was insane. I got a nice HD lcd instead, and now enjoy glorious HD tv, xbox 360 etc at 1080i, while working. :rofl:

On some days, I'm not too productive due to this beautiful monitor though. (seriously, xbox 360 in 1080i is ridiculous).