Quantcast

Headed to CU

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Well it's only about a month away before I should be in Boulder attending CU. Anybody wanna show me around? I've got a truck so I'll be glad to give rides. :o:

I'll also probably join the CU Cycling Team. What do I need to know about how this is done? I'm a Expert 19-24 DH & 4X racer, and I've got about 4 years experience, although I've had some pretty poor results lately. Hopefully I can get my act together and put down some real race runs in collegiate.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
there will be sidewalk chalk and fliers all over the place when it comes time to join up the cu cycling team. when i can, im always up to catch up with new folks and get in some riding!

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Sorry, can't help ya with the Swedish chicks, but I do have a few more Q's.

How many races a year does CU participate in (I assume during Sept and Oct)?

I found a organization meeting is scheduled for Aug 31st, should I show up there to get with the team?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Show up August 31st, the following weekend is the Keystone MCS race, DO IT!

Races (my guess)

Beaver "Gnar" Meadow-Weirdest damn DH race you'll do
Durango-Fast and old school
Gunnison-Fun with a 30 second sprint to end it
Angelfire-Final Descent-the Gnarler of all NCCA races...this is tentative as a NCCA race but it'll be a stage race if it goes down.

Nationals-Prove you're one of the top 4 in DH and 4x/DS and you're going to Seven Springs PA for some fun in the rain.

DH team is shaping up to be 4 semi pros, a few expert and sport riders. One woman pro rider and one woman expert rider. We really do need to recruit some attractive girls from the snowboard club to go ride a bike down a hilll for us. Our XC team is going to be STRONG so we'll make a solid run at nats.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
One of the top 4 on the entire team or in your division? Even if I'm not I'll probably go to 7 Springs since my parents live about 1.5 hrs away and support the crew.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
any links for those collegiate races available?

i'm trying to start a biking crew here at TCU, and i believe your races are the closest dh races available for us.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Scratch, the cycling clubs that host the races are responsible for posting the info online, and it usually doesnt happen until the last minute. As far as starting a club, I would start by talking to your club sports office/ director.

Anamal, I am one of the 4 semi pro's that jeff was talking about, and while I would also be happier if you were a swedish chick, welcome to the team. I'm from b-more, are you gonna be at the wisp race next weekend? If you are look for the guy on the blue V10 wearing the dorky TLD captain america uniform, my name's phil and I can tell you whatever you want to know about boulder, CU, or the team.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Sounds good I'll try to make that Wisp race next weekend. You probably know Morgan since you're from the baltimore area, I've raced with him quite a bit in the past couple years. I ride a Specialized SX and 04 Iron Horse SGS DH Team. The name's Jon Stecko.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Starting to look like I'm comming back this year.....

neversummersnow said:
Show up August 31st, the following weekend is the Keystone MCS race, DO IT!

Races (my guess)

Beaver "Gnar" Meadow-Weirdest damn DH race you'll do
Durango-Fast and old school
Gunnison-Fun with a 30 second sprint to end it
Angelfire-Final Descent-the Gnarler of all NCCA races...this is tentative as a NCCA race but it'll be a stage race if it goes down.

Nationals-Prove you're one of the top 4 in DH and 4x/DS and you're going to Seven Springs PA for some fun in the rain.

DH team is shaping up to be 4 semi pros, a few expert and sport riders. One woman pro rider and one woman expert rider. We really do need to recruit some attractive girls from the snowboard club to go ride a bike down a hilll for us. Our XC team is going to be STRONG so we'll make a solid run at nats.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Jon that wisp race is the second weekend in august, not this weekend. Plattekill is this weekend, I got them mixed up. I will be at plattekill also.

Howse, whats the deal? No vegging out in some tropical locale?

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Well I didn't realize that I have a transfer student orientation session on the 15th, so there's no way I'll make the Wisp race. I'm probably going to Snowshoe one last time this weekend.

I've got a place at Bear Creek Apts, the student housing on campus was completely full. It's a pretty nice place, but I don't think it's a good idea to put dirty bikes in my room. Is there a good self storage place near the campus, or does the CU cycling team have any storage?

See ya at Boulder.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I'm in the process of moving out of Bear Creek right now. All my bikes live in my room. Heck, my CA even said I could put hooks in the ceiling and hang my dirt bike in my room :blah: Just make sure you vacuum a lot.

DH!

DHanamal said:
Well I didn't realize that I have a transfer student orientation session on the 15th, so there's no way I'll make the Wisp race. I'm probably going to Snowshoe one last time this weekend.

I've got a place at Bear Creek Apts, the student housing on campus was completely full. It's a pretty nice place, but I don't think it's a good idea to put dirty bikes in my room. Is there a good self storage place near the campus, or does the CU cycling team have any storage?

See ya at Boulder.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Bikerpunk241 said:
I'm in the process of moving out of Bear Creek right now. All my bikes live in my room. Heck, my CA even said I could put hooks in the ceiling and hang my dirt bike in my room :blah: Just make sure you vacuum a lot.

DH!
Good to know. Are you leaving CU or just moving to another apartment/home?

L

Lightninleana

Hey CU Good Luck this year! I'm sure you guys will tear it up. Say hi to my FLC buddies, but I know you guys will kill it for sure. Sorry to hear you have no tall blondes on your team... thats a shame. But you should keep working on that as it will interest guys from outside of cycling to become involved.
Cheers,
LG

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Lightninleana said:
Hey CU Good Luck this year! I'm sure you guys will tear it up. Say hi to my FLC buddies, but I know you guys will kill it for sure. Sorry to hear you have no tall blondes on your team... thats a shame. But you should keep working on that as it will interest guys from outside of cycling to become involved.
Cheers,
LG
Are you not returning to FLC this fall?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Looks like I'm returning to CU, just moved home for a short spurt, then a new place, looking like table mesa now.

The Lazian

Chimp
Mar 26, 2004
Arvada CO the "(303)"
So, I just recently found out that I'll be coming to boulder in the fall rather than the spring. Man, I'm psyched to race some collegiate. Jeff, Phil, and House I need the DL so you guys should drop me a line.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Wow we're going to have probably the best collegiate downhill team ever. The first meeting is usually the second week of class. We're gonna have to get more organized than usual this year. Anybody can do any regional race and the more the merrier. Only four people in each category get to go to nationals. You've got to make it to two regionals to go to nats. That's really all there is to know.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
TheInedibleHulk said:
Wow we're going to have probably the best collegiate downhill team ever.

Yep, good thing CSM is div II when we hit nats. Our team is definately expanding this year too (beyond well, me - haha) and we've got several xc riders lined up too. The collegiates are gonna be great again this year.

And TJ, it's good to hear that you'll be at CU racing in the fall!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hey Beast, how/where do I get a hold of you to see about getting on in the bike club at CSM? I'm thinking I can do Vet class DH at say.... sport level (I'm old and slow..haha). Anyway, finally made it to town and would love to ride w/ some pple. LMK, thanx.

Pau11y

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Well I've taylored my damn season to this NCCA thing. Being hurt for 4 months early this year kinda forced that decision on me.

So who is going to cross dress for the next 4 months? TJ, D Camp, Howse, Buell, Hulk, me.

These are just the semi pros...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The roster as far as I know at this point is...

semis-
Phil Wheeler
Jeff Brines
Dave Camp
TJ Sharp
Mike Howse
Mike Buell

experts-
Wylie Robinson
Chris Mari
Jon Stecko

Girls-
??????????

Thats all the semi's and experts, 6 semi pros. Some kid named Colin I met at the fix said he used to race semi and was going to come out this year, we'll see. If we could show up to all the regionals with 7 or 8 dh racers that would be a strong statement against FLC, who has always shwoed up with alot more racers than us. We've always been there at top, but never had the depth that they do. Side note- CU's own Nick Ranno was just selected for the U23 world championships.