Quantcast

Headin' to England- any recommendations?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am going to England with my sister in March. My brother goes to Oxford, so we're going to stay with him for a while but also travel around a bit. Any recommendations on places to go or things to see? I was there once years ago and have a few ideas, but anything you guys know of, I'd like to hear about.

I'll be there for a week. No car, only public trans for us. Oh, and keep in mind that although I am visiting one of the most expensive cities in the world, I'm a college student (not much $$), as is my sister.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
JRogers said:
I am going to England with my sister in March. My brother goes to Oxford, so we're going to stay with him for a while but also travel around a bit. Any recommendations on places to go or things to see? I was there once years ago and have a few ideas, but anything you guys know of, I'd like to hear about.

I'll be there for a week. No car, only public trans for us. Oh, and keep in mind that although I am visiting one of the most expensive cities in the world, I'm a college student (not much $$), as is my sister.
You're in luck they have excelent public transportation over there. London is one of my favorite cities around. The London Eye is a huge ferris wheel that you can see most of the city from. As an added bonus most of the museums are free to get in. They ask for a small donation 4 or so bucks per group. There is tons or art to see at all of the museums. Check out Abbey Road, very touristy thing to do, but free. The tower of London is a little pricey to get into, but interesting nonetheless, be sure to take the tour. They have pubs over there. Try to find a Wagamama noodle house, there is one right near the British Museum, it is fairly inexpensive and they have great food. So much good stuff to do for not a lot of cash.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Oxford is pretty nice. Go to London for a couple of days and do cheesy tourist stuff. Ride the tube, do the London Eye.

See if you can get to Scotland or the Lake District. Trains arn't too bad, but can be expensive. There are coaches too, but they are only slightly better than the Greyhound.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I was just going to make a thread on this - the GF and I plan on spending 10 days there. I was thinking of heading north to the highlands / isle of skye / lake district...I'm just not sure of the "must see's" over there.:help:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you're into modern art, hit the Tate museum. It's along the Thames near all the touristy stuff in a massive old power plant. Other than seeing the sights, nothings more british than getting pasted and supporting terrorism with a late night curry.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
scottishmark said:
:rolleyes:

that is all
Yeah that's what I thought too. If you can't find something good to eat in London, there's no hope for you. just go to the Borough Markets- good stuff there. Pricey though like everything else in London.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
When I was there before ft william, I stayed with a friend who lives and works in London. I went to school with him here while his dad was a diplomat in Canada. We went on a whirlwid tour of London, which was cool.

Tower bridge, tower of london, buckingham place and the gardens, the entire docklands area, the parliament area (big ben, the eye, house of lords etc), coventry garden (big shopping square), the financial district, some MASSIVE flea market only open on weekends. You absolutely have to go there, I will try and find out the name.

As for outside of london Windsor castle is awe inspiring, greenwhich observatory is cool, lakelands area is nice as well. If you get a chance, definitely head up to the highlands. The drive from glasgow north is amazing and the flight to glasgow from london is only 24 pounds.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
valve bouncer said:
Yeah that's what I thought too. If you can't find something good to eat in London, there's no hope for you. just go to the Borough Markets- good stuff there. Pricey though like everything else in London.
Seriously, I had some AMAZING food while I was there.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
MunkeeHucker said:
Bring your own food, British Food sucks, or travel to France nightly for dinner......
Actually Britain has the highest rated restaurants in the world right now.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Changleen said:
That is a hangover *cure*... :oink:
agreed... grease fest...

dan-o.. the tate is awesome... very cool and free as i remember ???

england.... my recommendations..

- see a sh1t hot band live...
- go down to brixton and score some hash / bud off our english 'brothers'
- see above and hit a cheap supermarket and buy food... i think i scored a 9 pence tin of baked beans down there somewhere....
- hit pubs and drink good pints / have cheap sex with pommy women....
- avoid 'oxford' unless you want to get wallet raped...
- have a decent curry
- do touristy cr@p.....

-

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
oh... and you should listen to 'god save the queen' LOUD... while on a 'river' cruise down the thames.... so farkin out of it you nearly fall from the ferry..............

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
partsbara said:

i m so stoned i would eat that now.........
The Irish do it better. :drool: Dang I miss those Full Irish breakfasts!

I can't wait to get to England. Sooooooo many medieval sites. :drool:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
When I was there before ft william, I stayed with a friend who lives and works in London. I went to school with him here while his dad was a diplomat in Canada. We went on a whirlwid tour of London, which was cool.

Tower bridge, tower of london, buckingham place and the gardens, the entire docklands area, the parliament area (big ben, the eye, house of lords etc), coventry garden (big shopping square), the financial district, some MASSIVE flea market only open on weekends. You absolutely have to go there, I will try and find out the name.

As for outside of london Windsor castle is awe inspiring, greenwhich observatory is cool, lakelands area is nice as well. If you get a chance, definitely head up to the highlands. The drive from glasgow north is amazing and the flight to glasgow from london is only 24 pounds.
^^ What he said. London is great with tons of landmarks, all within walking distance (it's a hike, but reasonable). Scotland is even better, Glasgow and Edinburgh are both worth checking out, and some of the castles in the countryside are amazing. There are some great hikes too, but I can't name any.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
kinghami3 said:
^^ What he said. London is great with tons of landmarks, all within walking distance (it's a hike, but reasonable). Scotland is even better, Glasgow and Edinburgh are both worth checking out, and some of the castles in the countryside are amazing. There are some great hikes too, but I can't name any.
so i guess you ve never done a pommy chick with bad teeth ????

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
kinghami3 said:
Ya, we took the tube down from Zone 2 or 3 and jumped off right downtown. We walked the entire thing. LONG day on foot, but so many fun photos. You see alot more that way as well, it was super fun. Ironically, we did it the only day i was there that it was overcast. Go figure.

I spent 2 weeks using the tube and being psyched about it, so much better then trying to find parking in any big city. Their transportation system rules when you get a fairly cheap transport pass.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Transcend said:
Ya, we took the tube down from Zone 2 or 3 and jumped off right downtown. We walked the entire thing. LONG day on foot, but so many fun photos. You see alot more that way as well, it was super fun. Ironically, we did it the only day i was there that it was overcast. Go figure.

I spent 2 weeks using the tube and being psyched about it, so much better then trying to find parking in any big city. Their transportation system rules when you get a fairly cheap transport pass.
I forgot to mention the two (2) Lotuses parked in front of our bed and breakfast. :D LOTS of nice cars. It was 6 years ago, and I was 15, so I don't remember too much about the tube zones, just the sights.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
you canadians are easily amused...

while i find the tube somewhat of a modern day marvel ( yeah it 65347 years old), i fail to se it as 'cheap'..

mind you i had the aussie 'peso' not the canadian 'baht'...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dan-o said:
If you're into modern art, hit the Tate museum. It's along the Thames near all the touristy stuff in a massive old power plant. Other than seeing the sights, nothings more british than getting pasted and supporting terrorism with a late night curry.
he speaks the truth on all accounts.

go to Soho and do some record shopping.

drop in a few pubs and drink the best beers in the world.

walk around; knightsbridge and mayfair are great.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
valve bouncer said:
i had two smokin' meals in london....one was a sushi bar in soho which is best i've ever had, and the other was a fantastic italian place w/ prices to match. but it was fuggin' great and i'd spend the coin again in a heartbeat.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
narlus said:
he speaks the truth on all accounts.

go to Soho and do some record shopping.

drop in a few pubs and drink the best beers in the world.

walk around; knightsbridge and mayfair are great.
if anyone could second the recommendations of an aussie i thought it would be you narlus :)

soho is the shiat... music food drugs sleeze twisted mania booze frenzy...

soho or bust !!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
you canadians are easily amused...

while i find the tube somewhat of a modern day marvel ( yeah it 65347 years old), i fail to se it as 'cheap'..

mind you i had the aussie 'peso' not the canadian 'baht'...
A week long travel pass was 12pounds. I find it hard to see anyone finding this expensive for unlimited travel in 5 zones.

Also, montreal has had an underground system since the late 50s and I use it everyday, hardly impressed. The system in london is comprehensive as hell however, you can go ANYWHERE in london on public transport.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
A week long travel pass was 12pounds. I find it hard to see anyone finding this expensive for unlimited travel in 5 zones.

Also, montreal has had an underground system since the late 50s.
1 weeks / 5 zones for 12 quid ????

did you touch the conductor ??? ;)

i m not disputing the age of the (numerous) systems worldwide... but everytime i ve been in the UK (and i m sure some london monkeys will concur) it s cost me much more than that...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
1 weeks / 5 zones for 12 quid ????

did you touch the conductor ??? ;)

i m not disputing the age of the (numerous) systems worldwide... but everytime i've been in the UK (and i m sure some london monkeys will concur) it s cost me much more than that...
Check on TFL. Its normally 10 pounds for 3 days 6 zones. I got a deal on my buddies scallop card at a slightly reduced rate.

Was 7 days, 12.7 pounds, all zones but heathrow.

Individual fares were about 2pounds I think, which got insanely expensive really quickly.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The women were pretty hot actually. Dude I felt like a rock star over there. And you have met me so you know I am not.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
Check on TFL. Its normally 10 pounds for 3 days 6 zones. I got a deal on my buddies scallop card at a clightly reduced rate.

Was 7 days, 12.7 pounds, all zones but heathrow.

Individual fares were about 2pounds I think, which got insanely expensive really quickly.
yeah, ya prolly on it... last time i was there (8 months ago) VB and i got a simialr deal on his sisters local pass...

but is the place freakin $$ or what ???... or are all you canucks rich ??

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
yeah, ya prolly on it... last time i was there (8 months ago) VB and i got a simialr deal on his sisters local pass...

but is the place freakin $$ or what ???... or are all you canucks rich ??
I was on an expense account (sortof). :)

Place is pricey for sure. A decent meal was 8 pounds at least...that's $16usd. Ouch. Beers were cheap though, 1.75 for a pint in most places I went to in the party areas (not the fancy club areas).

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
I was on an expense account (sortof). :)

Place is pricey for sure. A decent meal was 8 pounds at least...that's $16usd. Ouch. Beers were cheap though, 1.75 for a pint in most places I went to in the party areas (not the fancy club areas).
agreed,,, but go to switzerland if you want to get raped in the date... prices there ain t steep... they are fvckin vertical !!!