Quantcast

heading to Virginia

wICK

Chimp
Mar 25, 2007
Hey guys ,
what if i'm really getting sick of this record snow fall and cold winter here in Quebec and want to rider a little , can i assume some trails will be ridable around April 9-10 ???
i'm looking for XC , long rides as hard core as possible. could also be FR/DH but i dont think i'll bring both my bikes.

if yes , where should i go , ?
i was planing to head for Richmond , is it a good choice ?.

let me know what you guys think ,

wICK

Chimp
Mar 25, 2007
great , thanks a lot ! ,
are the trails in this area easy to find? are they in a state park or something like that ?
i will find a hotel near the spot where i want to ride , will probably be whit my girlfriend and baby daughther , altough i will be the only one hitting the MTB trails my girlfriend would really like to do some biking whit the baby chariot , is that possible in this area ?
sorry about the towsand questions , it's hard to plan a riding trip in area you dont know.
any help is appriciated.
thanks

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
great , thanks a lot ! ,
are the trails in this area easy to find? are they in a state park or something like that ?
i will find a hotel near the spot where i want to ride , will probably be whit my girlfriend and baby daughther , altough i will be the only one hitting the MTB trails my girlfriend would really like to do some biking whit the baby chariot , is that possible in this area ?
sorry about the towsand questions , it's hard to plan a riding trip in area you dont know.
any help is appriciated.
thanks
I would say that the trails in the richmond area would be better for the GF and Baby to ride and allow you to ride as well and there is some tech stuff that will make it a challenge and allow your GF to ride. there is also alot of place to stay in the richmond area and all are close to the trails/ Plus depending on when you come down there is always aride going on and we could show you around too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are family type campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, Lake Sherando State Park, and Douthat State Park, some have cabins too. All great places to ride but if you are looking for more comfort there really isn't much close.

wICK

Chimp
Mar 25, 2007
thanks ,
what about access to state parks like Pocahontas , are they accessible all year round ?

hokierider

Chimp
Jul 13, 2007
You guys are killing me. I'm Jonesing to ride some but can't get the Dr. clearance yet, darn foot. Hopefully Wednesday I will know how much longer. My luck it will "R" word next weekend.

I would second Douthat for some good trails to ride. They have some lengthy climbs followed by a nice fast descent. And the cabins are pretty cool and comfy.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
Harrisonburg has everything! We have flat trails here in town that are real family friendly as well as GW National Forest and Massanutten all being no more than a half and hour away or so. If you come up this way check out Shenandoah Bicycle Company (SBC). We have all the GW Forest Maps and ride maps that are highlighted with directions on how to get to the trail head. It's well worth the trip. Way better than Richmond (we have mountains!!!) I forgot the pump tracks in town as well.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Harrisonburg has everything! We have flat trails here in town that are real family friendly as well as GW National Forest and Massanutten all being no more than a half and hour away or so. If you come up this way check out Shenandoah Bicycle Company (SBC). We have all the GW Forest Maps and ride maps that are highlighted with directions on how to get to the trail head. It's well worth the trip. Way better than Richmond (we have mountains!!!) I forgot the pump tracks in town as well.

A bit biased are we? :D

wICK

Chimp
Mar 25, 2007
so it's about where i need to make a descision , do i head down or not.
i would head to Harissonburg , but what are the trails conditions ?
looks like you guys got a lot of rain lately , should i wait until next week ?
thanks

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
so it's about where i need to make a descision , do i head down or not.
i would head to Harissonburg , but what are the trails conditions ?
looks like you guys got a lot of rain lately , should i wait until next week ?
thanks
The trails in the mountains to the west being rockier and less traveled fair much better in the rain. The eastern VA trails are flatter, loamier and have much more traffic. They are usually closed for 24hours for every inch of rain recieved as a rule of thumb.

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
You can ride the forest in the rain, sleet, snow, whatever. Those trails are always good. It rains a lot in the mountains but never slows the ride. Come by SBC for trail info if you are ever in town. That's Shenandoah Bicycle Company. Ask for Jason. I'll ride in the rain with you. I like the rain better than the sun. Makes things more interesting. Shop is open every day but sunday and only until 4pm on saturday.