Quantcast

Heads up everyone, I think there's a Paypal scam on the loose right now

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I got the message below about my account and followed it to see what's up. The first weird thing I noticed was it bitched at me about my login/password being only letters and numbers (mine has other characters). Next, when it did let me in, it acted like I was a completely new member asking for my addy, phone, and most importantly a password. This, plus the fact that the URL was pointing to either an Austria or Australia country code kinda made me really suspect it's a scam. So, I went and re-password my account and notified Paypal support.
Anyway, below is the message I received. The link won't work in this form (and will actually take you to the right place). But I've also included where it was actually pointing to as well for everyone to check out.

Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 2:37 AM
To: ****@*****.net (my e-mail addy removed)
Subject: PayPal Account Review Department

Dear member,

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. This is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is not compromised.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional information from you in order to provide you with secure service.

Case ID Number: PP-037-655-4329

This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with a step to restore your account access.We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Use the link below to access our mainframe database and confirm the information we have on file for your account.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run
(it actually pointed to: http://webserver.osdepym.com.ar/.us/paypalssl/cgi-bin/webscr-ID/index.htm)

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

PayPal is committed in assisting law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that impersonators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your PayPal Email ID PP9475 account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
fake site:

Copyright © 1999-2005 PayPal. All rights reserved.

legit site:

Copyright © 1999-2005 PayPal. All rights reserved.

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Anything you receive that says "Dear Member" or "Dear User" or something of that nature, without your name in the heading, is fake.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
AHAHAHHAHAH! Are you kidding me I get like 5 of those a day in my email, the funny part is, is that the email they send it to isnt even the one linked to my paypal!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pau11y said:
Nope, I was playing on internic's whois and found that .au is out of Asia/Pacific. So I'm pretty sure it's Australia
yeah, that's nice but your link ends in aR

:D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Protect Your Account Info

Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL to be sure you are on the real PayPal website.https://www.paypal.com/us/) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security Tips at https://www.paypal.com/us/securitytips

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Not 100% sure but I think most organizations (especially financialy based) will never ask you to click a link in your e-mail. I think if they do it is almost gauranteed to be a scam.
Generaly they ask you to log into you account seperately to address any issues you might have.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I get these all the time too. I just ignore them. Shoot, I get e-mails tellin me my email account has been suspended and such by the domains admin. Well, I AM the domains admin!