Quantcast

headset creak?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
so my headset is creaking!:eek: yea its only when i pull up/set down the front end. i tried to tighten everything and thats all good. i pray the headtube isnt ovalized as this frame (kona scab dj'er) hasnt even been used 6 mos. yet. i got it in dec. i will be getting a headlock and deep-set headset soon. maybe that will help??

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yes, good, but dont ride it until u have the chris king steel set in there. i ovalized my old marin, it MIGHT be slightly ovalized in wich case they could probably press the steel set in there to get it back, but most likely ur screwed... but u never know, just dont ride it till then... or u are deff. screwed.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I'll assume this is the factory installed headset?

Almost every stock frame I've ever worked on needed the headset popped out, the head tube faced, and then the headset re-instelled properly greased. They always install them sloppily, with gobs of paint left on the headtube ends. I would include re-setting the crown race properly grease too. Usually solves most creaky problems, especially on frames with thick alum headtubes.

Now a bigger issue might be that the creak is from the crown/steerer pressing on your fork. Address the headset, and if the creak persists, have the fork checked by a dealer.

Good luck.