Quantcast

Headset options...

J

JRB

I have a King on the cross bike that I could pull off and use on the new Soul Titan I am gettting, but it is just going to be a lowly urban bike. I can put a Cane Creek S2 on the cross bike and be pretty happy. Should I do that, or just buy an FSA Pig or something else for the urban bike? I don't want a steelset or any long cups, so I'm not looking for any of those. Is there a better headset for the money I should look at, or just go with a Pig???

J

JRB

So the Pig is loose bearings, but alu cups and the Pig DH is sealed bearings? Is that right? Is the sealed set up any better? I saw a Pig, but it is in the bmx case and says bmx on the package. Is there any difference in it and just a Pig. It doesn't say bmx on the actual headset. It's $25, so that would be the easiest. I also see the Cane Creek Tank looks pretty cool. Big lower bearing, for the same cost of a Pig DH.

J

JRB

Cool - thanks, Dustin. I still like sealed bearings, but I think I will just get the pig for this. If I hate it, I will get a new headset for the cross bike and use the king I have. Seems easy enough.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The plain old Pig id buff and easy to service. When I had one on my Stinky, I had zero issues with it and ran it for over a year. When I built my Bullit, I used the DH Pro because it was on sale.

But for $25ish bucks, you can't beat it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Pig is cheap and burly, it'll work out well.
Can Creek tank is good too.

Have you seen the Race Face Diabolous headset? Very nice, sealed bearings, steel cups. I installed one on my friends Bullit.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
pig is the way to go. ran them all my standard 1 1/8 frames except for one. guess which bike had headset issues?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow the new pig pro looks freakin great.

i still rather run chris king headsets on everything

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
Why play games? Buy CK!!!!!!!
Read the frikkin' thread, nutlick. I have one, but I am asking if it's better to have something a little more burly on the urban bike. :p

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
loco said:
Read the frikkin' thread, nutlick. I have one, but I am asking if it's better to have something a little more burly on the urban bike. :p
As most have said, just go with the regular Pig. I rode one of those on my bike bike for 1.5 seasons and had no issues with it. Only got rid of it because it was replaced with a King. I have the Pig DH one on my hardtail right now. Good looking headset that works well, but unless its on sale or you are a complete snob the regular Pig should be just fine.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
i dont think it is a situation of burly as much as it is a situation of cheap. i dont run any expensive parts on an urban bike. much less a hundred and soime odd dollar headset especially if one was to run a hollow bolt to run their cable through for bar spins.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
loco said:
Hey nutlick!!!!!!! CK is the best!!!! F the rest. Don't make me smack you around!!!!!! Or change your avatar:redhot: :D;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Brian HCM#1 said:
Hey nutlick!!!!!!! CK is the best!!!! F the rest. Don't make me smack you around!!!!!! Or change your avatar:redhot: :D;)
dude whats your problem today?

J

JRB

Yeah - sorry - I might have done that to mock someone else. Oops.

I guess the biggest question is, are sealed bearings a ton better than caged??

I am torn - I don't really care that I have a King on the cross bike. My urban bike will be kind of pimpy as it is, so a King HS may be nice. I may just get an S2 for the cross bike. It doesn't really deserve something nice anyway.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
loco said:
Yeah - sorry - I might have done that to mock someone else. Oops.

I guess the biggest question is, are sealed bearings a ton better than caged??

I am torn - I don't really care that I have a King on the cross bike. My urban bike will be kind of pimpy as it is, so a King HS may be nice. I may just get an S2 for the cross bike. It doesn't really deserve something nice anyway.
CK's are basically maintenance free. I have an 8 year old one on my Foes and it still feels perfect.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i just dont understand.

i am not implying anything here Loco let me start by saying that.

however since urban riding was really cinvenient for me anywhere i went i did a lot of it in many different cities with hundreds of different people.
well as it does with any group of riders the conversation shifted to bike builds and whatnot. It always seemed to me the guys with the Pimpiest bikes built with mega expensive parts were the ones that rode from spot to spot watching everyone ride. the guys that threw down were the ones o nthe rat bikes that had random poached parts from various shops and left-overs from old bikes.
it got to the point where if i saw someone with a bike like that i assumned they couldnt ride. I know that is a terrible thing to say but it seemed like most of those guys spent more time polishing their hundred and some odd dollar headsets before,during and after the ride than they spent actually doing anything.

again i am not saying that about you. i have never been on a ride with you, its just another societal observation from me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That's because headsets are headsets.
In all my years of riding and racing using a variety of headsets, I have only roached one. It was the unsealed Pig headset and that was after a year filled with DH mud races.
All the headsets now from companies like Cane Creek and FSA with the angular contact bearings are great headsets that should last for years.
If you feel the need to pay a hippie excess tax, then a Chris King will work forever as well.

J

JRB

I want to add - I cannot ride. I doubt that I will even have anyone to ride urban with. I may never even ride the bike, for that matter. What I do know - it will be orange, not sure what shade, so it won't be able to look hot. I doubt anyone will even notice the headset. I think I'll put the Pig in. It will give me something to pull apart and grease occasionally, as I like to work on bikes anyway.

I repeat - I don't even have anyone to ride to spots to watch ride, but I can't ride.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
I want to add - I cannot ride. I doubt that I will even have anyone to ride urban with. I may never even ride the bike, for that matter. What I do know - it will be orange, not sure what shade, so it won't be able to look hot. I doubt anyone will even notice the headset. I think I'll put the Pig in. It will give me something to pull apart and grease occasionally, as I like to work on bikes anyway.

I repeat - I don't even have anyone to ride to spots to watch ride, but I can't ride.
lol. when you get that urban bike built up and only have an hour to ride i bet you will see yourself riding it more than you thought. thats part of the reason i rode a lot of street. way easier to roll around town than it is to load up and whatnot.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
loco said:

Quit complaining and come to Amarillo, like a billion people here ride.

J

JRB

ThePriceSeliger said:
I didn't know old people could ride bikes. I guess they attach the walker to the bikes hu?
I am NOT johnbryanpeters. :mad:

J

JRB

ThePriceSeliger said:
Quit complaining and come to Amarillo, like a billion people here ride.
That's not going to quite fit in with the scenario Ben pointed out. :think:

Patience my young friend.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You will ride the urban bike (if built correctly) more than you think. I have built a few different ones and all have gotten a lot more time than my other bikes.

I am trying to steal my Rigid One back from my son so I can ride it to work. If I had it, I would never use the road bike I just finished.

J

JRB

I can lift the wheel, and I can ride in circles. I can't, however, keep the wheel up, or change direction of my circles.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
loco said:
I can lift the wheel, and I can ride in circles. I can't, however, keep the wheel up, or change direction of my circles.
I'll work with you.

You will ger respect, even though we have a few really fast guys, like pro/semi-pro who are complete dick heads.

One got mad at me today because I got my wheels from Go-Ride and not form the LBS. Doesn't support matter anymore?

J

JRB

I think you lost me, Price. Who's supporting what? I think I would just push anyone that is mean off of their bike. Then I would pee on a dead animal. I used to do that a lot, but some guy peed on me, so I stopped for a while.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hot damn. semi-related....

the shop i work at had a Mango King instock. oh yeah. guess what i bought today....

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
hot damn. semi-related....

the shop i work at had a Mango King instock. oh yeah. guess what i bought today....
Got any other colors of your own???

edit - I wish I hadn't sent the gold one away.

J

JRB

yum - that would look hot on my orange frame (whatever color orange it is going to be)