Quantcast

Headset question

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I am starting to gather parts for my Dillinger build and I need a headset. Is it worth it to spend the money for a Chris King? If so, why?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
In my humble opinion - no. But that's just my two cents. Go for a nice quality FSA or Cane Creek and I'd think you'd be fine. I've also heard good things about the Sunline headsets.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I love my king headsets. but i've been taking them from bike to bike. or just want to install it and forget about.

but as MMcG said, you don't REALLY need one. plus i've also keep hearing good things about the sunline range of headsets. but hard to beat the price on a CaneCreek S3 headset for what you get.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I've been buying bike parts for the last 11-12 years. During that time I've had numerous frames but only two headsets. Yes, two king hs have lasted through 6+ frames. My first king is currently being ridden daily by my friend's father and is still running smooth and is 10+ years old.
These hs feel great as no other hs feels like a king. I don't care if dude is a prick or if his **** is overpriced. It works and you don't have to worry about it. I'll gladly pay 150 for a bike part that with minimal overhead that I don't have to worrry about b/c it just works.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Also, think about how you are as a cyclist. Will you buy this headset for your next 3 frames? Do you ride a **** ton? Do you beat on your bike parts? If yes, go with the king. If your like MMcG, no offense, and can't keep a bike part for longer than a week get some cheap cane creek.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I love my king headsets. but i've been taking them from bike to bike. or just want to install it and forget about.

but as MMcG said, you don't REALLY need one. plus i've also keep hearing good things about the sunline range of headsets. but hard to beat the price on a CaneCreek S3 headset for what you get.
DHS has a good point about the S3 from Cane Creek. I'd steer clear of the S2 or lower models though. But S3, S3=5, S6, S8, Solos etc. seem to offer great bang for the buck.

He'll I've been happy with the FSA Pig DH Pros I've used on a couple of frames as well. And I've had a few different FSA orbit series headsets and they've all worked fine too.

Now if you want to add some type of color then your choices dwindle down a bit.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I was thinking about the S3, but I have an FSA Pig DH Pro laying around, too. I don't care about color, black is fine with me.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
but don't forget that the pig dh has one of the biggest lower cups out there. can change the ride of the bike

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I put a Pig DH Pro on my Retrotec to get some fork clearance (WB 100), and I've no complaints. Not a hint of binding, and strong like bull. I own a couple CK's but the fleet's too big to fit every bike with a $100 headset.
- Joe

I was thinking about the S3, but I have an FSA Pig DH Pro laying around, too. I don't care about color, black is fine with me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
but don't forget that the pig dh has one of the biggest lower cups out there. can change the ride of the bike
Good point. ON some frames lower cups that have bigger stack height are actually a PLUS for 29ers. The Dillinger is designed to allow for ample fork crown/downtube clearance.

I was just using it as an example of an inexpensive headset that works well. The bang for the buck argument if you will. :thumb:

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
I have a pair of King headsets that have been through many a frame as well, but that still doesn't mean I'd necessarily throw down the cash for a new one. There are other cartridge headsets that will do you just fine, I'd vote for spending the money elsewhere on the bike where you will really feel the difference when you're riding...i.e. wheels.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Love King headsets. I have 2 back up aluminum ones and a titanium on my ride now. Been running them for over 3 years solid never a problem. I did have a race that I messed up trying to service, I sent it to king and they replaced the whole thing. I will never buy another HS. King has been 10+, A+, 2 :thumb:'s and has great CS.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I wouldn't stick a King in say....a Monocog, but I've seen that done! I think you put a King in a bike that is worth putting other nice parts on. Or as others have said, you want to install the headset and forget about it.

I haven't heard of these Sunline headsets. Got a link?

Also, another fine headset that not too many folks know about seemingly are the German made Acros. (Do a google search to find retailers carrying them) They are a "king" quality and price. Come in colors, and also have a ten year warranty. Something different from your normally seen stuff.

I've seen them and handled them. Very nicely made and also available with ceramic ball bearings if you are into such things.

They also do other stuff that U.S. distributors haven't picked up on yet, but are pretty high end and cool.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wouldn't stick a King in say....a Monocog, but I've seen that done! I think you put a King in a bike that is worth putting other nice parts on. Or as others have said, you want to install the headset and forget about it.

I haven't heard of these Sunline headsets. Got a link?

Also, another fine headset that not too many folks know about seemingly are the German made Acros. (Do a google search to find retailers carrying them) They are a "king" quality and price. Come in colors, and also have a ten year warranty. Something different from your normally seen stuff.

I've seen them and handled them. Very nicely made and also available with ceramic ball bearings if you are into such things.

They also do other stuff that U.S. distributors haven't picked up on yet, but are pretty high end and cool.
Sunline is a subsidiary of 661 I think it is. Mainly FR and DH oriented products methinks. I've seen them available at www.Greenfishsports and a few other online retailers but never sought their own website out.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Thanks! I Googled it last night and came up with the Greenfish site. Kinda like Acros. They prefer to deal through their distribution network, (J&B Importers) than go consumer direct.

That said I just stuck a brand new King headset in my Badger last night......by hand! No head set press necessary!

No, I'm not some super-human mrchanic! I just lightly greased the cups and set them on the head tube. They felt as if they would go in with a quick hit with the palm of my hand and they did. I used the same technique on my Inbred oddly enough. That was one of the original pink headsets. Strange that a King headset would do this, but even stranger that I've now had two of them do it!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Well, it might sound scary, but there is an interferance fit, just not a very tight one. Think about it......how tight does it really need to be? As long as there is no play between the headset cup and the head tube, there shouldn't be a problem, ( and on my Inbred, there hasn't been any problem for two years going on three now.)

The really odd thing, and what I was hoping I could get across here, is that having one head set fit that perfectly is one thing, but two? The chances of that have to be astronomical, I would think.

As far as being scary, it's not, really. I'd be the first one to say it was a bad thing if it was, but it's not bad. Just really wierd.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Well, it might sound scary, but there is an interferance fit, just not a very tight one. Think about it......how tight does it really need to be? As long as there is no play between the headset cup and the head tube, there shouldn't be a problem, ( and on my Inbred, there hasn't been any problem for two years going on three now.)
You know what headtube ovalization is right?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My bet is not head tube ovalization, but that the king is every so slightly smaller in diameter than some other headsets.

I've heard Kings pressing in with this "little bit of effort" on other headtubes as well.
So much for paying $$$ for close tolerances huh?:rolleyes:

I'll take any $40 headset in which the cups have a PROPER fit than a $130 headset that I can press in with my hands.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Well, you are welcome to your disdain, but for what it is worth, I usually have to use the press for King headsets, my two examples not withstanding. And it is note worthy that in most BMX bikes the head tubes have to be reamed for King headsets or they won't go in at all.

Really, it is a frame tolerance issue more than a King head set one, methinks.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
probably right it is the frame rather than the headset. Even so - I think there are still headsets out there that will offer you more bang for your buck.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
bang for your buck? I bought a king ten years ago and it stills works, great!!!
i don't think it has been brought up though but King is an American company making products here stateside and with the enviroment in mind.

taken from the website...
Energy conservation: From utilizing sky lights to naturally light much of the building to insulation that provides up to 20x more effectiveness than that of normal buildings, every aspect of our building's design addresses the ever present need to reduce energy consumption.

'Green' materials: All building materials were considered for both their content and manufacturing processes. Where ever possible, the most 'green' materials possible were chosen. Of course, supplies such as packing materials, kitchen supplies, paper products, etc. are all evaluated for their environmental impact.

Recycling: It should go without saying, but we make it a policy to recycle/reuse everything possible (keep this in mind when you see us using the non-biodegradable packaging 'peanuts'...Reuse is better than sending them to a dump).

Manufacturing processes: Making stuff creates waste - there's no way around it. What we can do, however, is make sure we handle each and every process as efficiently and responsibly as possible. Our biggest accomplishment right now is our new anodizing line. By taking this typically dirty step in house, we were able to clean it up to our standards - which for us means ZERO waste water discharge. This absolutely state of the art line completely recycles all of the water it uses and produces minimal solid waste. It cost a fortune, but we all sleep better at night knowing we're not supporting the typical, potentially highly polluting, anodizing process.

We're constantly evaluating the way we do things in order to seek more environmentally conscious means towards making our world a better, more enjoyable place to live and ride.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
however; MMcG does have a point too. For instance, I have a Race Face headset from the mid 90's still going strong in my Karate Monkey. This is after several years of winter time riding too.

A great, well made cartridge bearing head set can last a long time if you are not a complete abuser of equipment and/or lack the will to take care of (maintain) things.

That said, the American/green manufacturing side of Chris King does carry some weight with some folks. That's cool. Me? I just dig a well made component that comes in anodized colors!