Quantcast

Headset questions

I put this question in the mechanics forum and got nothing so I'm hoping that maybe there is more traffic in here and someone will hook me up with an answer.

I have a Specialized Hardrock and I have a problem that I think may be the headset needing to be adjusted or it may just be the rotors that came with my new Juicy 5's.

After installing the rotors I've got this unerving chattering, vibrating feeling in the bars when I'm braking with the front brake. Typically this happens more on descents when I have more weight on the front end. I'm wondering if I need to adjust my headset torque or if the Avid brakes with their wave rotors are contributing to this or is the stock bearing set in need of adjustment? Do I need to get a better headset, say something with sealed bearings?

To that end, how do you guage the amount to torque down the headset bolt? I've always tightened it firmly while testing for smooth movement swinging the bars from end to end. I also hold the wheel with my legs and rock the front end feeling for play in the bearings. I don't reef on the headset bolt, just good firm tension.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
I would say just tighten up yer headset first and see what happens, just get it nice and tight but not too tight so that it feels crutchy when you move the bars. If that doesnt fix it then maybe pull the bearings in your headset and see if the are worn or have chunks missing if so replace them.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
cove rider said:
I would say just tighten up yer headset first and see what happens, just get it nice and tight but not too tight so that it feels crutchy when you move the bars. If that doesnt fix it then maybe pull the bearings in your headset and see if the are worn or have chunks missing if so replace them.
couldn't have said it better myself

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I doubt it's the headset. if you want to feel if there is play in the headset, put your finger on the seam between the bearing cup and the top cap, hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth. if there is play you will feel the seam grow and shrink.

I have a roadbike that had this problem. I changed the fork to a different sweep and it lessened. This also happed on a HT i had. That was a Cheetah DS with a 4" Black on it. I changed it to a 5" z1 and again it lessened.

I bet that it's a geometry issue.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
66 said:
I doubt it's the headset. if you want to feel if there is play in the headset, put your finger on the seam between the bearing cup and the top cap, hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth. if there is play you will feel the seam grow and shrink.

I bet that it's a geometry issue.
Ditto. Star nuts and headsets are not designed to be torqued too much. I don't even use a star nut on mine, just the stem as a clamp and a little expander ring.

If you have to reef on the starnut bolt to fix this problem (unlikely) I would look into getting a Azonic Head Lock instead.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/HS707Z00-Azonic+Head+Lock.aspx

...though removing a star nut is a pain, so this isn't the best idea. But it's good to keep in mind if your ever installing a new fork. Makes it easier to resell too.

mazzino

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
Seattle, WA
Make sure there is enough space (~3mm) between the top of your steerer tube and the headset top cap. I had a headset that was loosening up a lot and that was the problem.

You only need to get that headset top bolt finger tight (ie. one thumb and 2 fingers on your allen wrench tool). Just enough to bind up the free-play in the headset but not too much to load up the bearings.