Quantcast

Headset Removal

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
How do you guys do it? I see there's a removal tool that park makes. Would it work for a 1.5 headset? Is there a better or cheaper way? Enlighten me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Very carefully with the tip of a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer.

Put the tip of the screwdriver on the underside of the headset cup, give it some taps until it starts to move, move a little bit over, couple taps... do this evenly and carefully all around the headset.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Very carefully with the tip of a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer.

Put the tip of the screwdriver on the underside of the headset cup, give it some taps until it starts to move, move a little bit over, couple taps... do this evenly and carefully all around the headset.
A small aluminum tube works well too. Softer than a screwdriver, less likely to damage the headset cup if you get monkey-handed with the hammer.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A small aluminum tube works well too. Softer than a screwdriver, less likely to damage the headset cup if you get monkey-handed with the hammer.
AKA an old seatpost :lighten:

The seatpost works well, I wonder if a small PVC pipe would work too (never tried PVC) - that definitely won't scratch anything?

I use a PVC pipe to seat crown races on forks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
AKA an old seatpost :lighten:

The seatpost works well, I wonder if a small PVC pipe would work too (never tried PVC) - that definitely won't scratch anything?

I use a PVC pipe to seat crown races on forks.
An old handlebar works great.

PVC? Tried it -

CLACK!!

Broke into 20 pieces instantly. (granted I may have hit it too hard)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
PVC? Tried it -

CLACK!!

Broke into 20 pieces instantly. (granted I may have hit it too hard)
Was it the white schedule something rather they use for waterlines or the black stuff? I think some kinds of PVC pipe are more brittle than others. Sorry I'm not a plumber:huh:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Was it the white schedule something rather they use for waterlines or the black stuff? I think some kinds of PVC pipe are more brittle than others. Sorry I'm not a plumber:huh:
Old white pvc.

The black stuff is abs.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Ok, top of my list then are PVC and handlebar/seatpost. Not sure how they'll work since I'm not going to try to cut them up like park's tool.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ok, top of my list then are PVC and handlebar/seatpost. Not sure how they'll work since I'm not going to try to cut them up like park's tool.
You have to tap it out in same manner BV mentions with a screwdriver, only you are using a tube because its less likely to mar anything:

give it some taps until it starts to move, move a little bit over, couple taps... do this evenly and carefully all around the headset.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
1.5 headset, if ya use a screwdriver your gonna scratch the crap outta something, you might be able to splay a seatpost out to make it work. I take it to the bike shop and have em knock it out and press the new one in, that way it doesn't screw up on ya. my lbs charged me 5 bucks, to remove and press i a new HS.

why risk screwing up the headtube....

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I use a piece of copper pipe with slits cut in it so that it has four tongues like the park tool. Pull it through, set the tongues against the bottom of the race inside the head tube and hit with a rubber mallet.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
flat head screwdriver and rubber mallet - works fine.

Now I need info again on what to get for that home made headset press with the threaded rod and spacers etc. etc. :biggrin:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's easy, no specific anything needed. Just go to the hardware store and pick out whatever will work.

You'll need one big threaded rod, two nuts that will fit over it (alternatively, you could use a large bolt instead of threaded rod, and only one nut), and large enough washers that they will fit over the headset cups. You will need to stack them a few deep to keep them stiff enough.

Example:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
wrap it with tape? Visual example?
I suppose you just wrap the tape until you have the ideal diameter for the size headset you want to use for centering like on a real headset press. Something more substantial than tape would be better though.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Example:
[/QUOTE]

I've used that setup for years. Works great! I find it's easier to do one cup at a time and go sloooowly until it's really started into the head tube.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've used that setup for years. Works great! I find it's easier to do one cup at a time and go sloooowly until it's really started into the head tube.
You're right - supposed to only press one cup at a time even if you have a proper headset press.