Quantcast

headset woes......part 2

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
OK, looking at the race, it's the right one.

I lubed the bejesus out of it, smooth as butter when loose, when tightened down a tad, then it gets not so smooth. I don't mean tight on the aheadlock, alot looser than my king is setup aheadlock wise.

I am wondering, could the top crown of my shiver be hitting the top cap of the headset funny? I have some spacers. Could it be possible that the top crown hits the top cap funny, not in the middle like it does with most stem/headset combo's? I was thinking of adding a really small spacer between the top crown and the headset just to see if it helps. It is fine when the aheadlock is loose to like half a turn tight, but any further than that and it gets ehhhh........not so smooth.

Just wondering if this is a possibilty. I can add a spacer in a jiffy to see if it changes. I might do this anyway just to see.

Just wondering why it'd be super smooth loose, a tad tight it is ok, but shortly after that while tighting it down it gets not so smooth. Just wondering if somehow the top crown and top of the headset bind in a way that when tightened it makes it like this and if by adding a spacer between the 2 might fix it by putting even pressure on top cap.

Do most dual crown forks require a spacer between the headset and the dual crown?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Spunger

Do most dual crown forks require a spacer between the headset and the dual crown?
It's usually a good idea to put at least a small one in there; the Shiver in particular has a lot of stuff going on under the crown. I HAVE to use one otherwise I get nasty contact (1.5 headset though).

Is this the Pig with the sealed bearings, or loose balls? Could it be that one/both of your bearings is in upside down?

My Pig is smooth as silk....

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
It is the pig DH with the cart. bearings

I couldn't tell you the difference when it is loose between the king and the pig, but once tightened, it feels like cuca. It is just driving me nuts.

I do have a spare small spacer I will stuff under it to see. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, the top cap of the headset looked like it was rubbing on the sides a hair. I bet that is what it is but since I am no paid bike mechanic I couldn't tell ya.

I am fairly sure the bearings are in correctly. The top one has an angle to it that the gold compression ring only fits in one way. The bottom is pressed in there (never tried to remove it) and and the crown fits up with the angle.

I really think it's the top that is contacting with the top crown. I got a small spacer which should hopefully do the trick. Just a thin little guy.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well I think I fixed it, I just need to get some smaller headset spacers now.

I put a spacer under the top crown of the shiver. Butter. I can even tighten it down and it feels like butter. Amazing that I managed to fix this without spending $$$.

I think it's a 10mm or 15mm spacer I have there now. I'd like to get a couple 5's, 10's, 15's, and I have some larger ones as well. I don't think they can cost me more than $10 for a few of each. Hell even some 2.5mm's while I am at it.

Thanks though sub for the help. It did fix it.