Heard a little rumor today about Whistler

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
February 15, 2006
Planning for the new season
Author: Tom Pro

We are busy enjoying the powder up here in Whistler, but the planning for the upcoming Bike Park season goes on. Every time I ride up the Fitzsimmons, Garbanzo and Redline lifts, my mind wanders to mountain biking as I'm looking at the snowed-in trails. A couple of the patrollers, Shawn and DK, and I hit up Freight Train on skis the other day (see photo). Although we were skiing, the talk was all biking ñ what is, what could be and what will be. So, we thought we would share some of our plans and ideas for next season with you.
We will be making some changes to our hours of operation. Starting June 17, we will be open from 10am to 8pm, seven days a week. Good-bye Extended Play, hello more play, period! These hours give the riders with real jobs a chance to ride after work any time during the week, as well as offering more flexibility to all riders.
This season, you will be able to use the Whistler Gondola to access the Roundhouse and the sub-alpine without a guide. As soon as the snow conditions permit in the spring, we will build a trail connecting The Roundhouse to Freight Train, No Joke and Original Sin. Take the Gondola to the top, grab lunch on sunny Pika's deck, enjoy the alpine views and then rip down 4000' to the valley. This will happen!
The Garbanzo Zone will see extensive work on existing trails as well as the addition of at least two trails. One of these may be a full-length trail in the vicinity of Garbanzo lift line. We will be building mostly Blue type trails with Black and Double Black off-shoots. This combination will give a variety of riders a chance to ride these trails, as well as providing a good progression for everyone. Freight Train will get a connection between the top and lower sections. This section will be challenging as there may be a lot of work done on the Women's Olympic Downhill in that zone.
The lower park will see a lot of work on the existing trails but most of our focus will be on completing Crank It Up. A new trail from the Joyride Jump Park to the 1.7 Skill Center is also on the drawing board. Once again, the Biker X and the Boneyard will be completely new and even I can't tell you what that will look like. One thing is for sure, they will be exciting. This year, you will notice more man-made features like wall rides and elevated bridges sprinkled throughout various trails. Variety is the spice of life!
The Magic Bike Park on Blackcomb will get a face lift in the form of small features on the existing trails.
One of the projects we are most excited about is The Air Dome. The Air Dome will be 10,000 square foot covered training facility containing a foam pit, resi ramp and a box jump. This facility will be used primarily by the Summer Gravity Camps, but we are exploring the possibility of public and/or private use.
Are we going to be busy? You bet! Are we excited? You have no idea!
The Bike Park is scheduled to open on May 20, 2006 with weekend openings starting on April 29, snow conditions permitting. Meanwhile, enjoy the snow or winter riding.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
He might be right got this from the nsmb website.

"April 29, 2006 was the planned opening day for the Whistler Bike Park, but with traces of snow still on the village and over a meter at mid mountain, the plans have been changed. The call has been made for “Machines.” The Whistler Bike Park crew are going to begin ploughing the snow aside to free up the beloved trails for our riding pleasure. They have moved the opening date forward to May 6, 2006 to give them enough time to buff, groom and of course plough. It is an exciting time of year as we are pumped to ride and put our winter blues behind us. Well we are almost there and Whistler Bike Park will soon be ready." -Raceface

I just got that in an email. A week later, but Im not complaining

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
oh man that's tempting. how is the weather up there by mid may? I graduate from school in socal, and I would love to make it up there. It's between Whistler and moab (where I've been once). Although Canada is significantly out of the way for driving to dc, it could be done. I've heard good things about the drive anyway.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
skatetokil said:
oh man that's tempting. how is the weather up there by mid may? I graduate from school in socal, and I would love to make it up there. It's between Whistler and moab (where I've been once). Although Canada is significantly out of the way for driving to dc, it could be done. I've heard good things about the drive anyway.
You never know with Whistler, especially in May. However bets are you will get some rain. Its not that big of a deal though, cause the lower part of the mountain drains really well. Probably because its still frozen underneath!

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
skatetokil said:
I moved from the corner of WA state to DC last year. Don't drive it unless you have to. :dead:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
skatetokil said:
Although Canada is significantly out of the way for driving to dc, it could be done. I've heard good things about the drive anyway.
PM mobius and/or DßR if you want details about that drive. They did it two years ago from DC to British Columbia, stopping off at Moab and Post Canyon on the way, and then met up with the rest of our group at Whistler.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
im not going to go up early if they are plowing the trails.... something seems really retarded about that + I wonder how good of a job they can do.... ill wait until late june

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
i believe netguy since hes moving and working up there in the summer, hes got the inside stories, that and being there loast weekend prolly helped him find out too, thanks for the notice ash, you wanna ride this weekend>

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
MMike said:
They are also planning to ban hardtails for safety reasons......
not again! i thought they learned after trying to ban hardtails for the last four years running :D . at least they lowered the minimum tire size limit down to 2.8" from 3.0".

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
there is still a ton of snow up here but it is melting fast, real fast. i have also heard may 6th...i am sure it will happen. its been super warm...like shorts and tank tops and flip flops. everyone is out on thier bikes in the valley cause things are melted up. i even went so far as to go in the lake today....

bike season is here.....

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Everybody can also check the village webcam on the whistler blackcomb site. By the looks of all that dirt, I would say that skiing into the village is out of the question.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
downhillracer said:
yeah i've seen that, i've read the whole thing and i know its not on the actual ski area, but is it really a downhill xc course or is an actual downhill course? just wondering if its worth missing the hammerfest in parksville (island series) to hit this race?
PM Oly. He's rode the trail they are having the race on.

Aug 21, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Toshi said:
not again! i thought they learned after trying to ban hardtails for the last four years running :D . at least they lowered the minimum tire size limit down to 2.8" from 3.0".
I got burned on that one last year.
Had to buy tires right there on the spot. Boy was that expensive.
They said I could apply for a waiver to run 2.5" tires, but the application fee was nearly as much as the cost of two tires, and there was the potential of a four hour wait.
I'm not too bothered about the hard tail issue this year.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I love the internet and all the rumors. Fresh off of the Whister web site.
Scheduled opening is May 20, 2006

Talkingmonkey said:
I got burned on that one last year.
Had to buy tires right there on the spot. Boy was that expensive.
They said I could apply for a waiver to run 2.5" tires, but the application fee was nearly as much as the cost of two tires, and there was the potential of a four hour wait.
I'm not too bothered about the hard tail issue this year.

But last I heard, the mininum number of combined tatooes and body piercings (3) will be enforced.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
vibiker said:
But last I heard, the mininum number of combined tatooes and body piercings (3) will be enforced.
do note that studded belts, tight black jeans, and t-shirts (when worn with no armor and a skate helmet) exempt one from the tattoo/body piercing requirement...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
The valley trails are starting to open up, no reason the lower trails wouldn't be close to ready.

The dirt is good and tasty.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
vibiker said:
I love the internet and all the rumors. Fresh off of the Whister web site.
Scheduled opening is May 20, 2006

This is the official opening, when the park opens for daily operations. Lets hope for lots of sun, so things are dry for next weekend.