Quantcast

Heard "they" recommend...

Mar 14, 2008
that a handlebar get replaced every year or two...

obviously, I get the concept - i.e. that bars are high stress components with major consequences from a failure for the rider (I like my teeth in my mouth, not scattered across the trail)

but I'm curious whether this is a remnant of bike components of old, or if this is still very relevant. I've never broken a bar, nor do I know anyone who has. Anyone have different experiences? Real data? What's your practice?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
that a handlebar get replaced every year or two...

obviously, I get the concept - i.e. that bars are high stress components with major consequences from a failure for the rider (I like my teeth in my mouth, not scattered across the trail)

but I'm curious whether this is a remnant of bike components of old, or if this is still very relevant. I've never broken a bar, nor do I know anyone who has. Anyone have different experiences? Real data? What's your practice?
I've broke a bar on a big step down drop, walked away when it's very likely I shouldn't have....don't f*ck around with front end stuff. replace it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Did your bar have any scratches, or was this a total surprise? That's some scary business...
if you ride regularly, and relatively hard, 2 years is the most I'd trust....can you get more out of them, yes, but why take the risk? seriously, how much is your mobility worth? how much is a mangled face worth? your call.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some bars are stronger now than the old ones but that's why we say 2 years not 2 months as with some of the crappy old stuff ;) The thing is most modern wide bars are 7050 or 7075 alu (which is good for the most part) but it won't bend before it breaks it so it will be a bit unexpected. Bars are quite cheap. Dartmoor or Funn make good bars from good alu for really low amounts of cash. Cheaper than a dentist for sure.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Decent set of handlebars.....$70 USD
Getting your face sewn back together......$14,000+ USD

Your call

smithyM1

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
Hmmm, been running my Funn bars since 2008, 2 almost full seasons of racing as well as 2 2weeks holidays in Morzine...time i changed then!

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
how about the bolt on stems? i have a sunline direct mount stem thats 2years old along with the handlebars... whats your take internet people?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How about some TITANIUM stem bolts, when do you replace THOSE :brows:

is this called the trolling?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How about some TITANIUM stem bolts, when do you replace THOSE :brows:

is this called the trolling?
You can allways put your ti stem bolts on some other part of your bike that's not risky. That's what I've been doing with my annual ti bolt change.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you crash and beat your bars up, swap em. If not, the age is irrelevant, its not milk, it doesnt expire.

5 years on carbon, but I own torque wrenches, and I rarely exceed 4mph

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There's no one answer that will work for everyone. How often do you ride the bike? How heavy are you? How hard on components? What kind of bike and riding?

I've kept some bars for way more seasons than 2 without an issue. I broke one Funn aluminum bar in a crash, but I think it actually happened after I was ejected from the bike (basically hit floater step down thing and clipped something in the air...bike and I landed at the bottom separately and bars were broken in half).

If you ride hard and often on that bike, maybe 1-2 seasons is a good estimate...same if it bothers you. But how many people snap aluminum bars JRA- ie without a big crash? I'd guess not many.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
the direct mount bolts I would change every year (or atleast check them and if they feel weird turning they may be bent). those things take way more of a beating than you're face plate bolts. I've seen the direct mount bolts shear or bend after a bike was in a crash (and from just a landing) and I can say i dont want that happening to me.