Quantcast

Heart Rate Monitor Oddities

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I've recently noticed something odd with my Polar 725 HRM.

Currently I've got it set up for speed and cadence on my roadie.

Now particularly at the beginning of a ride, and always with headwind the heart rate goes nuts, spikes to 110% or more of max. But as soon as I turn off the headwind, the HR goes back to normal.

Initially I thought low battery power in wearlink transmitter, changed it a few rides back.

I then thought interference with other things but have been taking things off and no change.

I also thought the electrode pad things were too dry, wet them, tired ECG gel.

Then thought not salty enough (salts can increase electrical current tranmission) so I didn't clean transmitter for a few rides (eew!).

Too much hair on chest--> been attacked with shears, no change.

Still did it today. It settles down once I've done about 10 miles and then is all fine but it looks very strange when I download.

Anyone else have similar oddities with their HRM's? Or ideas what it is that causes this flutter. I know for sure there is no way known I peak my max HR at 235bpm, like I did this morning and can hold it for five mins.:help:

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
My first thought was that you are getting "cross-talk" from something else. But if you've stripped off other things like a speed and distance computer, the issue has to be with the Polar itself. If the cadence sensor is wireless, that might somehow be interfering, though you'd like to think not.

It really sounds like you've isolated the problem as the headwind option. I'm not sure what the point of that is, as with cadence and heart rate you know how hard you are working. Maybe just leave it turned off?

Have you tried posting this over on Road bike review?

wujj

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
Boulder, CO/ Taiwan
From Polar's website:

6. Static electricity, technical sportswear and special conditions

If the humidity of the air is low, or you are exercising in windy conditions (for example high-speed road racing), a fluttering shirt may rub the transmitter and generate static electricity. This causes additional signals, especially if the contact between skin and transmitter is poor. To avoid this:

6.1. Moisten the electrodes before use, or use the conductive lotion or gel
6.2. Use a cotton shirt instead of a synthetic shirt
6.3. Use a tighter shirt to avoid fluttering of the material
6.4. Use the transmitter on a wet shirt
6.5. Wet the shirt

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Sprayed jersey with water mist bottle before I left, soaked heart strap in cold water too.

Worked a charm.

Perfect way to start a ride on a summer morning the almost a/c effect thru the jersey was way cool.

Did 50, temp hit 100 went home, just finished off air con install in house. Can anyone say Playstation?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
speaking of odd Polars...

i have a 720 and a friend has a 725...a couple summers ago, we were driving through Bum****, British Columbia...way north BC, no civilization anywhere within a 75mi radius. now power lines, nothing. our HRMs were going crazy...230+bpms sustained. it was fun downloading those and checking them out.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Damn, you found the alien installation. Did you balck out and wake up with a sore butt?

You have to lick the transmitter contacts before you head out otherwise they won't transmit properly. It's more of a problem in the winter when cold and you don't sweat for a while.