Quantcast

Heim 3 Ring Guide?

markk

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Santa Cruz
Does anyone use a Heim 3 Ring chain guide? Looks simple and light. Do they work? Any issues? I want to use it with 2 rings and a bash.

thanks

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
markk said:
Does anyone use a Heim 3 Ring chain guide? Looks simple and light. Do they work? Any issues? I want to use it with 2 rings and a bash.

thanks
My buddy used to have one. IMO, they suck. Bolt on a DRS and forget about it.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
markk said:

thanks
2 rings and a bash, why wouldn't you use a DRS? It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
snutty said:
what sucked about it , all my buddies have them and they all rave about it. Was he having specific problems ?
The metal piece that the rollers were attached to was very, very flimsy, and any time he hit a rock the metal piece had to be bent back (which could be accomplished by hand). Not an extremely durable product IMO.

To be fair, this was about 4 years ago, so perhaps the design has changed a since then.

If Markk is only planning on running 2 rings anyways, the Evil DRS has a long track record of taking abuse and failing infrequently. Why not go with something that is proven to work (unless $$ is an issue - I don't know what the Heim guides cost).

This is just my opinion. Get something that will last.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A friend of mine has had one for a couple years and he really likes it. My understanding is that the roller mount (and maybe the guide plate too) has been toughened up a bit, earlier versions could flex and bend too easily. On really rough stuff the earlier versions could flex enough that you could lose your chain.

If you do not ride urban much and otherwise don't regularly smash into stuff and bash the bottom of your guide, it is less expensive and lighter than a DRS and would be worth checking out.

On the flip side, if you ride urban and/or constantly bash your guide, go with the DRS, the guide plate is much beefier and overall the guide works flawlessly when set up right. A little more weight is worth it to me, I love my DRS...

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Dude, I've been using a Heim 3 guide on my Bullit for a couple of years and never once have I had an issue. I use it with two rings and a bashguard. It is easy to set up, light weight and the price is right. Jon does have a new 2 ring roller coming out too but I've never had a problem with the three ring roller. You know, I've heard the DRS guides are good but a real pain in the butt to install. My buddy had one on his VP Free and hated it because it was always getting banged up on rocks because it hung down so low below the bottom bracket.

As long as it works, I'll always go for simplicity in design. I guess that's why I love my Bullit so much too!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have no experience with the Heim but the DRS rocks and the MRP LRP is not bad but it's no DRS. I've used both lots and can say that honestly. I'd say if you want 3 rings get a Heim, if you want 2 rings get a DRS.

markk

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Santa Cruz
Thanks again for the info. Price is definately an issue right now for me. That's the main reason I'm considering the 3. $100 price difference is quite a bit for an almost unemployed slob like me.

M

Montara

Hey thanks for the feedback everybody. El Santo - your friend had one of the first 20 or 40 made, and of those a few non-heat treated parts got into the system unfortunately. His is one of them no doubt. Have him contact me directly and I will hook him up with a replacement. And yes it has been beefed up considerably since then as well. Increases in thickness, stiffness, strength and hardness were made, and tighter process controls were put in place.

This year I’m splitting it into two versions, an even beefier version, and a lighter weight model. The lightweight guide will weigh about 50 grams total. The beefier version will be more than twice as stiff and strong than the current one, but still have one of the smallest drive train offsets, and weighs about 100 grams. Like the current model it is e-type, and iscg compatible. I’ll probably do an iscg specific version later this year. To go along with the new mounting brackets I am also releasing the 2-ring specific roller. While the 3 ring worked with most stock 2ring+bashguard setups, there were some that weren’t optimum, mainly in how close you could tuck the roller to the chainring. It is designed to mount as close to the ring as the 3 ring model. This product is unique as it lets you use your existing bashguard if you’ve already got one. If not, I’ve got 5mm bashguards in sizes from 36 to 46 as well in a unique universal mount.

Anyway, I stand by my products and if anybody ever has any issues just contact me directly and I’ll make it right for you. Also if anybody has an existing setup and wants to upgrade to the new parts, bracket or roller, just let me know - I am very reasonable about this. I want to keep my current customers rocking! Markk – contact me directly jon@montaramtb.com for the 2-ring model, they are not in stock at the distributors yet, but I can send you one direct. Wow, that’s probably the most I’ve ever written here. I’ll try to be more active on the boards, but I'm a one-man show and I’ve got a fully absorbing day gig as well. I do bike stuff for the love of it and cause I’m just a bike geek too :D . See you on the trails!

-Jon

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have had no issues backpedaling on my Bullit with the Heim guide. It works flawlessly! Perhaps it works differently on various types of bikes but I really doubt it. I know a lot of people that have been using them for awhile and I have never heard anyone complain. I don't think I can say that about any other guide out there.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
lonewolfe said:
I have had no issues backpedaling on my Bullit with the Heim guide. It works flawlessly! Perhaps it works differently on various types of bikes but I really doubt it. I know a lot of people that have been using them for awhile and I have never heard anyone complain. I don't think I can say that about any other guide out there.
Your Bullit probably has a better chainline than some of the others who have complained. A good chainline will help a chainguide do it's job a lot better.

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
I've got the Heim Guide, and love it. I race Sport/Expert DH, and Sport XC on the same bike (Bullit). I have only had one problem with it, where the bearings became a little sticky from some winter mud/water riding. I took the wheel out and sprayed out the bearings, and it's as good as new.

I've never bashed or bent the metal arm - but I don't ride urban.

It works very well on all 3 chainrings, is lightweight, and inexpensive. I like to use my big chainring, so I appreciate having the guide that can acommodate it.

-B