Quantcast

Heli-Biking in NZ (56k unfriendly)

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
A couple of weeks ago I did had one of the best riding (and non-riding, for that matter)experiences of my life, as I had booked in for a heli-biking tour of ther Pisa Ranges near Wanaka, on the south island of NZ.

The helicopter took off at about 9.45 am & we had a 15 minute scenic tour of the moutain we were about to ride down, before being planted at the snow covered summit at 6300ft & -7 degrees (very cold). It is such a weird, but good feeling to watch a helicopter take off & be stranded at the top of the mountain, knowing the only way to get down is to ride. The ride was approximately 28km long & was called the Pisa Lochaburn Trail. It consisted of mainly old 4WD double track, but was very rocky & rutted. The first few km's were in snow which made steering a bit difficult but was such a blast. There were also some big water bars, little creek crossings, Tight corners with large drops onthe side, nice high speed open corners, some flat & even uphill (uphill riding is even less fun at altitude) & a couple of "find your own way" sections where we left the trail to avoid hitting herds of cows & flocks of sheep.

The ride took just over 2 hours but included a snack break, multiple photo breaks & having to stop to open & close gates as we got to different areas of land ownership. The other bloke on the tour was a NSW DH Racer named Matt, from Penrith, so we got on well (small world) but he was using a hire bike, I brought my own. The company I went with is called 'Alpine & Heli Mountain Biking' (www.mountainbiking.co.nz) & I would highly recommend getting a tour off them. The business is actually for sale if anyone is interested!

Here the photos I got.

Mt Pisa, from the window of the place I was staying in Lake Hawea:

Mt Pisa, closer-up & looking more intimidating:

Loading up the chopper at Luggart airport (the only way to shuttle!!):

View from helicopter up one of the valleys to the summit of Mt Pisa:

Approaching the summit:

Matt & I at the summit (6300ft), very cold but very excited:

A couple of views from the summit, across the Remarkables, Mt Aspiring & Cardrona:

A lookout across Cromwell, Hawea Flats & Cltha River from point not far down from summit:

View down to Lake Mckay about 2-3km ride from summit:

Part of the snow covered trail from the photo above to the photo below. You can vaguely see the trail snaking up the middle right of the photo:

At the shores of Lake McKay, we rode from top right of photo & followed the ridgeline down:

Me riding a section of the trail decending from Lake Mckay:

Hitting the cloudline!:

Getting Lower:

The trail down to the valley below:

At the bottom, with part of the mountain in the background:

A gratuitous photo of my family!

I also did a lot of DH & Trail riding in Dunedin & Wanaka but did not get any pics as I was mainly by myself. Let me say though, that the Signal Hill DH track in Dunedin isone of the best I have ridden. It has a rock garden from Hell, 3 road gaps. & nice 10' drop to perfect transition, lots of techincal sections, some very high speed open sections & is about 8minutes long (for me, after 4 runs).

I know I don't post on here often but I just had to share :)

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
It cost $320NZ, so about $290AU. Can't say for $USA. The only complaint I have is that isn't any cheaper if you bring your own bike & do not use a hire bike (I brought my own).

But this is a very, very small gripe. I will remember that ride forever.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow all that time and money spent to ride down a dirt road.looks very cool i would have just been annoyed at the lack of anything that would produce air or g-force wrenching berms or somethign but i am only judging from the photos.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
biggins said:
wow all that time and money spent to ride down a dirt road.looks very cool i would have just been annoyed at the lack of anything that would produce air or g-force wrenching berms or somethign but i am only judging from the photos.
thats what i was thinking. i bet its super high speed though. and do you only get one run? id love to try that some day

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
cool, thanks for sharing! New experiences are what life is all about. Don't listen to the hecklers

rcoh

Chimp
Jun 2, 2005
On the steepest sections I'd say we got to about 50+km per hour, the track was very rocky, rutted, loose & while not as technical as your competition freeride/dh tracks gave both riders & guide a good case of arm pump & there were a couple of spills.

It is rated as the most advanced track that they offer & it usually takes around 5.5 -6 hours to complete, we did it in just over 2.