Quantcast

Helly Hansen riding shoes (07)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
cool look write up on pinkbike, and one on the last issue od decline mag here it is:

Helly Hansen is known the world over for making some of the most technically advanced outer wear available today. Whether you are working on the oil rigs in northern Alberta or snowboarding in the B.C. Kootenays, Helly Hansen makes a garment to make your experience in adverse conditions better. Over the past 2 seasons the crew at HH has been working on developing a mountain bike specific line of clothes. A few weeks ago while on a weekend tour I was fortunate enough to see and check out 2 new pieces that should be available in the 2007 summer line up. Here they are:

The new Jaeger shoe is HH's go at a freeride shoe for the gravity fed crew out there. First off the visual appeal is what got me, this shoe looks really good-nice colors and cool looking features. The upper flap keeps the laces tucked in and protected from the North Shore muck or in our case the powder dust of the interior. The sole of the shoe uses the same rubber that can be found on HH's boating shoes (so that folks can still grip on the boat deck when its wet), so this is reassuring that it'll grip just fine to the pins on our pedals. And according to the marketing guru at HH, the soles are also non-marking-so I guess I won't scuff up the next ladder bridge that I find myself waling accross!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
All i know is that Helly hansen makes some top-notch things, but the price seems to fallow, but i can't see them being that much more than the 5.10

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any word on price? If they cost a cent more than 5.10s, I say no thanks. I LOVE those shoes, and I never thought I would. The lace cover makes it look aweful and I don't seem to find much fault with the one sided tongue on the 5.10s.

It will be nice to have other options, and I like the waffle sole.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
ohh and one more thing to add to HH's rep: matt hunter, and im sure many other ridders are wearing them now, and they seem to be giving them a good rep. when these things hit the shelf i plan on getting a pair of them just to try them out and well just to do something different than the typical 5.10's.

thanks for the post and let us know when they hit stores if you find out soon.:biggrin:

[un]

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bernal Heights, SF
H/H makes dope products, lifa is my second skin for both snowboarding or bike riding!!! Can't wait to get rid of my bulky, black, outdated style 5.10's! :pirate2:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Overall I like HH products, but those just don't do it for me...The Euro look doesn't help either.

I'll take my 5.10's over them any day, any price.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hmmm these look pretty interesting, i really like Helly's style in design. It really look like these shoes are all about function with the cover, i always find myself tucking the laces in my 5.10's which is annoying. Dont get me wrong i love the 5.10's but they have a couple week points, like many have said the rubber is soooooo sticky its hard to move your foot if you want, they also get heavy as hell when wet.

These might be a great option this season, hope they come in another color though.

willpowa

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
I've handled the shoes and I have to say they're gonna give the 5.10s a run for my money! They won't be available til spring at the earliest, and unlike 5.10s (yet), they will be offered in a couple different colorways. There's also a street version w/o the lace protector called the Jaeger meister. No BS!

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
im from europe and the look like crap, got my 5-10's tuesday and they rock. my feet felt like they were clipped in and the shock absorbtion is great.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's blatantly obvious that the grip on the soles isn't crap compared to 5.10's. If you took that picture of the sole of a 5.10 while standing there, you couldn't even see the sole for the leaves, dirt and pine needles stuck to it. I call bullcrap on that part. As for the styling...you'd get soccer mom's kicking your ass at the coffee shop if you set foot in the store with those fairy fins on!

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
It is really great to see more andmore companies producing products for our sport. Now we are going to see more selection out there we won't all have to wear rthe same thing. I have seen these shoes inperson and must say that the black are really nice. I wear 5.10's currently but would be willing to give these a try.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
what the hell does a sailing garment manufacturer know about making bike shoes? did they have consultation from pro riders? are the platforms reinforced in the pedal area like the 5.10's are?

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Andrew shandro has ridden for them for a while now i think, he seems to know what hes on about so i would have thought they have that area pretty sorted

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
what the hell does a sailing garment manufacturer know about making bike shoes? did they have consultation from pro riders? are the platforms reinforced in the pedal area like the 5.10's are?
Helly Hansen is now one of the premier outdoor clothing manufacturers on the planet.

WTF does a climbing show company know about making MTB shoes? Or a motorcycle company know about making downhill bikes?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
they look a little funny to me, but assuming they have a storng toe-box, I'd definitely consider them for DH. Prefer them over the 510s imo.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Those shoes kick ass. My gardening will be 50% faster while wearing those.

Oh wait...they're riding shoes?