Quantcast

Helmet choices. Which would you choose out of these 4?

Sep 26, 2011
I can't say which of those offers the best protection, but I can tell you right now that the Giro Hex saved my life, or at least saved me from a life of vegetable-ism. Per my previous post, I slammed HARD square on my head Saturday and the Hex took the punishment, saving my ass. Split in two places, done as a helmet, but that's how it goes. The Roc-Loc is awesome, the helmet is light, pretty good looking anbd the strap system is easy. Couldn't recommend it more, especially at this price.

At $53, that's the steal of a lifetime:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Helmets-and-Headwear/Giro-Hex-Helmet-11

http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/cycling-helmets/hex.html

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hold on, you haven't tried any of these helmets on?

Two things:

1. Every manufacturer has a different fit with their helmets. For example, I cannot wear Giro helmets but Bell and Specialized fit my head fine.

2. Obviously you have to step into a shop to try on a helmet. Make sure you walk out of the shop with the one you like the best.

There is nothing worse than a mail order whore who tries clothes and gear on and then leaves to buy it online.

I've been to a few LBS's, REI, & Sport Chalet. I've tried on the Hex, Vice, & a few Bell helmets. Didn't get to try on the Fox or SixSixOne yet. The Hex & Bell helmets I tried on fit nice. For some reason the Vice wasn't as comfortable to me. I felt like the padding couldve been a little thicker.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
fox and giro fit very differently.
I have a fox flux, its cool, seems to protect a large surface area.... but the ratchet isnt as good as giro´s system.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The Fox helmets fit wide for me. I can get a small finger in the sides when it's on. I prefer minimal padding. I have an old Giro Xen that has been retired but that thing fit me really well. Because it had fairly extensive and thick padding which soaked up sweat which would rain down my forehead. The new Xar has much less padding and doesn't do that to nearly the same extent. But I still sweat profusely and sweat still rolls down my face but not in gushing streams if I push the helmet.

The helmet has to fit well to work well. Does not matter how good it looks if if fits like shiite.