Quantcast

Helmets, When it comes to security.

Brazil_boy

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Brazil_Texas
Well I think everybody worries about security. I unfortunetely remember the fact that kyle Belenberg died on a suppose "Head Crash".
Well Since then I've worried because Eveyday I want to ride faster and faster. So, I'd like to know what would be the best helmet for downhill.
I have always ridden a Giro Mad Max and I'm concerned about getting a TROY LEE DESIGNS D2.
So, Will it be any better for me? if so, what's the diference betwen the CARBON one? or the Mad Max is already a good helmet?

Please I'd like to hear from everyone who knows about it.
Thanks Andre.

Helius

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
So Cal
I've got a Mad Max also... I like it. But if you wanted something way sturdy then a moto helmet would probably be your best bet.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Ya, definitely go with a moto helmet. I recommend the oneal 905. Rode one this past season and liked it a lot. Not too heavy either.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey just to let evryone know next year 661 is releasing a helmet called the flite (i think thats its name). this thing is dot rated and meets all bike ratings and also SNELL rated. the cool thing is that it is still light and supose to breath OK. its the best of both worlds

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Sir_Crackien said:
hey just to let evryone know next year 661 is releasing a helmet called the flite (i think thats its name). this thing is dot rated and meets all bike ratings and also SNELL rated. the cool thing is that it is still light and supose to breath OK. its the best of both worlds
That's awesome news. Hope it fits my bigass head.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Try Fly :thumb:
This one is mine :D
Info added 11/29/04:
Model = Fly Lite II
Construction = Carbon Fiber/Kevlar
Certification = (exceeds)...Snell 2000 and D.O.T., ECE 22.05 (Europe), AS (Australia) and JIS Japan safety standards.
Weight = Not exactly sure but very lite compared to other moto helmets I have tried.
Features = Removable (washable) liner, adjustable visor, goggle strap grips and air vents.

Attachments

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I got a D2, and I can't see what all the hype is about. Yes, it's light, it's well ventilated, and the paint is awesome, but it's not better built than other helmets nor does it seem any more trustworthy.

I still like it though :)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Like several people have said - DOT is the way. If you're sold on getting a TLD, they do offer DOT rated helmet for $30-$50 more than the carbon mtb's - and you do get a carry bag and extra visor. They're still expensive though compared to other DOT rated helmet like the Fly, etc.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
Yeh the 661 Flight Helmet is DOT approved, and I think it is available in a few weeks, via 661. Saw the helmet at i-bike, it was pretty cool, super rigid jaw, pretty good ventilation, but pretty steep price, like 400.00 or so, of course the D2 Carbon is around there. The only way to get super good protection is to go moto.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Snell M2000 is a stricter rating than DOT.

I use this one from HJC. One saved my skull already...

It can be had online for about $125.

Mike

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
I've got a few D2s. They rock, and I've knocked my head pretty hard, and they seem to have worked. Mind you, they were the composite one. They're light enough for me, and I'm kinda sketchy on the carbon one. If you want the extra protection, go for their new moto helmet, the SE. It's light enough, super tough, and has the flashiness and style of the D2.

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
HJC MX helmet for $140 at any moto shop. DOT approved. Heavy, yes. Poorly ventilated, yes. Will save your ass, yes. Would never ride a helmet without the DOT label on it. It saved Johnny Waddell's life too. He would never have made it to the hospital alive after a 30 foot fall (which blew out his goggles) if it weren't for a MX helmet on his head.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Eigil said:
I've got a few D2s. They rock, and I've knocked my head pretty hard, and they seem to have worked. Mind you, they were the composite one. They're light enough for me, and I'm kinda sketchy on the carbon one. If you want the extra protection, go for their new moto helmet, the SE. It's light enough, super tough, and has the flashiness and style of the D2.
Eigil is a little girl. I fall harder and more often. Go for a moto helmet. Your head will thank you, not to mention the girls LOVE a man in uniform :drool:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I must agree with getting a moto helmet! I just broke my Fulmer falling ~12' to flat (at least, I'm pretty sure I broke it, heard a nice crack when I landed) I got a new one, don't want to take any chances. I got the basic Fox helmet, and I am very happy with it. DOT and SNELL approved, matte rubber finish, $140. It feels really good on my head, and I took two crashes on it yesterday and it didn't move an inch, even after a few sumersaults. Be careful though, you will crack the visor if you send it strait into a rock at ~15-20mph. I found that out.....also found out that scraping the rubber finish across a rock smells like burning rubber for a few seconds :)

In short, go for a moto helmet. A little bit more weight on your head is worth MY life, is it worth yours?

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
For any full-face lid, moto or bicycle, you want a fiberglass or carbon shell, not a thermoplastic shell. Reason: drop a thermoplastic helmet, it bounces. This is not good for your neck if your head is inside. Drop a fiberglass or carbon shell, it won't bounce.

I use a Specialized Hucker, which is MTB (not moto) Snell rated. It has a fiberglass shell and looks just like a moto helmet, but is lighter. I'm not doing 10' drops, though, so YMMV.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Sir_Crackien said:
I can't vouch for the 661 flight, but it looks like another chi-chi moto helmet.

Moto-Helmets are :thumb: But it is $350.....I could survive and be happey with a $150 moto helmet and use the money elsewhere. If you can get a deal on the helmet than cool! I can't imagine it vents THAT much better than another MX helmet.

Rhino gives MX helmets 2 :thumb: :)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have a TLD Web SE moto helmet and I swear by that thing. Kyle and Heikki convinced me to get it after Kyles crash last year. I still cant believe that ****. That sucks.