Quantcast

help a newb out (build a jumper/downhiller???)

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
i am thinking about building a bike that i can cruise around and ride some trails on, the one guy i'm considering riding with is pretty serious i think....he said he's more into the technical stuff (i guess the ride up the trails....think trials).

i want to build a bike that rides similar to my bmx bike (S&M call girl-shaun butler) with pegs and all that, it's short so i can manual easy and it is super heavy, indestructable.

i'm thinking a hardtail would be cool, i guess disc on the back and maybe the front, bery sturdy rims as i hate wobbly rims and sturdy cranks (some profile 3pc maybe).
i was thinking i would only run a single gear on the crank and a cassette on the back but that might not work too well for trail riding i guess.

i've ridden only one mountain bike i liked and it was one that a guy at a bike shop i used to hang at built.....he said it was a downhill bike. it had a single crank sprocket and a 7gear cassette on the back, it had rollers on the chain and the geometry allowed you be laid back and relaxed like a bmx bike. you could even manual it (a little hard but still it was possible)....it was a redline with flight 3pc cranks and this was like 4 or 5 years ago.

so, does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about?
one person said just buy a specialized P2, but i think i might just build one instead.
how much more expensive will it be to build it....i need to learn about the components though.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
How much would you want to spend if you built one? Do you want more of a trail-riding DH bike or a street bike? The differences can be important.

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
i'm thinking a grand to 1200 would be the most i would spend.

what are the main differences in a DH bike and a more street oriented bike.

my main concern is that the geometry make it ride like a BMX bike (to a certain extent of course).

i know i want it to be hard tail and i'm not sure how much front shock travel i want(but i want that to be stiff). i think i want it to be more trail oriented because i have my S&M to ride on the street......but i would like to be able to bunnyhop and manual and ride long wheelies sitting on the seat.....:cool:.......maybe that is more street oriented afterall.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
-You definetly want a disc up front over the rear if you are only gunna get one cuz the front provides something like 80% of the stopping power.

-A redline DH bike?!?!

- A DH bike is quite slack (slower reaction in the front end), while a street bike is steep (quicker/sharper reaction in the front end. A dh bike has mainly 6" - 8" up front and 6" - 11" in the rear for suspension, and a street bike would have about 3" - 5" up front. A Dh bike is usually dual suspension (with a few exceptions such as an evil Imperial), and a street bike is usually a hardtail ( except when Cameron McCaul rides...). a dh bike is usually heavier too because of beefier parts... there is more but it's homework time...

-it will be hard to get a trail bike to feel anything near a bmx bike. closest thing would be: a evil DOC or Sovereign ( or something with a steep headangle) with a rigid fork or something like a 80mm sherman jumper with a firm spring, or a pike.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think you should look at bikes that advertise themselves as being suitable for 4X racing. I think that sounds like the style of bike you are after.

4X bikes tend to have short chainstays and steeper head angles for fast handling. They are also built strong enough for abuse but try to stay light enough to be thrown around easily.

Google for some images of 4X racing / 4X bikes / just 4X and see if you like the bikes you see. There are often a mix of hardtails and shortish travel rear suspension frames.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Should have though of this, my bike is actually a 4X frame, but I have put really stiff DJ forks on it, BMX style tyres and made it single speed so it's really set up for street riding.

This frame is 24" wheel specific but Revell also make one with the same geometry for 26"s.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Also have a look through the 'Freeride Hardtails' section in the image gallery on this site, although be aware some of those bikes are more set up for so called 'Northshore' or Freeriding, and tend to have slacker geometry and tend to be more overbuilt than you might want.

Also go to www.unrealcycles.com and look through their gallery - Same deal, a mix of street, jump, 4X and freeride bikes.

Aman77

Chimp
Mar 14, 2006
Chi town baby!!!
If i were you i would go with a Cannondale Chase frame and start there. It is a small but durable frame. Then go crazy. Don't go to much on the fork because youll want speed. Also get a bash guard cranks break!

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
homework time, i agree.

whats the deal with the P2, i'm gonna go check one out at a bike shop to get an idea what it feels like then maybe go from there....i wonder about the headset angle though....i'll have to feel that.

i think i'll run disc on front and rear and i want to have deraileur on the back, probably not on the front.....i'm all about overbuilding stuff....i don't like breaking parts and i'm about 6'1" and weigh about 190.

changleen thanks for the suggestion, i'll check that out. you're bike looks like something i might be after.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You'll probably like the general style of the P series bikes or the C'Dale Chase, but you might find the head angles too relaxed for you coming from BMX. As they are mass market bikes, they don't have the super fast handling a lot of people coming from other MTBs would find too twitchy.

Also personally I hate Cannondale, and being a BMXer you should too! :D

The new (06) P series looks pretty awesome though if you can deal with the geometry. You should also check out Norco, and maybe Giant's STP range.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
For a buildup (opposed to a complete bike) look at the soul cycles loki. www.ridesoul.com

Do a search for them in the downhill forum, they are going for $185 right now.

If you want singlespeed, check out this guy:

http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=58

I have never hear of voodoo but this frame looks good. It will allow you to run either a geared or singlespeed, disc or no disc.

Changleen, do you ever have clearance problems with your front rotor?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
bjanga said:
I have never hear of voodoo but this frame looks good. It will allow you to run either a geared or singlespeed, disc or no disc.
Voodoo are pretty cool.
Changleen, do you ever have clearance problems with your front rotor?
Yes, that's why I'm running an 8" disc. Actually now I've had 8" I won't go back (it just feels so good :oink: ) but yeah I think you'd need to have the wheel dished off centre to run a 6".

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
dooktruck said:
That is nice. Halo rims are way heavy though,and not neccassarily that much stronger than a well built set of average weight rims.

except i need a cassette on the rear to ride trails i bet, do people run a 24" rear and 26" front rim ever?
Yeah, you need a few gears to tackle nearly any real trail unless you have legs like an elephant. People do run 24/26, but mostly for DH because it slackens the head angle. I love 24" but I know a lot of people don't - It's certainly great for street and DJ because there is less weight to throw , but on a rough trail it doesn't roll quite as well. If you're going to be 'mountain biking' 26" is probably more suitable,but if you wanna ride park and street too, 24" may be more your bag.

finding the right frame and fork is gonna the be the hardest part.
And the most important, and the most fun.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Changleen, I was referring to obstacle clearance and the rotor, being that your bike is all streety and stuff.

I would not want to do the 24" thing because, like chang said, they do not do quite as well on rough trails.

EDIT: this is my bike. It is in the same 'extreme riding' class as Changleen's, but mine is more set up for riding up and down gnarly, rocky hills.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OK so:

P3 2006 - Head Angle 69 degrees, 15.7" chainstay, Top tube 21.25" or 23.5"

Norco 416 - Head Angle 70.5 degrees, 15.9" Chainstay, 22.4" Toptube.

GT Ruckus DJ - Head angle 69-68 degrees, 16.14" Chainstay, 22.4" Top tube

Revel 250R - 72 degree head angle, 15.75 -14.5" chainstay, 21" top tube.

.243 Racing - 69 degree head angle, 15.1 - 16.7" Chainstay, 22.7 Top tube.

Giant STP - 69 Degreehead angle, 16" Chainstay, 22.1 - 23" Toptube.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Changleen said:
Should have though of this, my bike is actually a 4X frame, but I have put really stiff DJ forks on it, BMX style tyres and made it single speed so it's really set up for street riding.

This frame is 24" wheel specific but Revell also make one with the same geometry for 26"s.

hmmm XT cranks, the light dirt jumper, single speed 24" wheels, Thomson,

Dude how much does that thing weigh?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
scurban said:
hmmm XT cranks, the light dirt jumper, single speed 24" wheels, Thomson,

Dude how much does that thing weigh?
I'v never actually weighed it. If I did I'd be opening a whole new can of anal obsesiveness. :)

It's lighter than my heavy ass BMX and my AC1 though. I think it's roughly the same as my wife's tiny hardtail Stumpjumper.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
DOC could be kinda pricey for your budget, depending on how much you want to spend on other components like your suspension fork. It is a very versatile frame though, with the dropout system and frame geometry it has.

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
bjanga said:
DOC could be kinda pricey for your budget, depending on how much you want to spend on other components like your suspension fork. It is a very versatile frame though, with the dropout system and frame geometry it has.
yeah i noticed that after a little reading.
i'm not against ebay parts or anything (fork), i just need to know what i'm looking for first.

i'm kinda interested in running some profile cranks (175 or 170mm) and if i have a european bottom bracket i can do this right.....this is my first MTB kinda build.

also thinking a derailleur on the back only and for now just a disc on the back......

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
Changleen said:
Yeah, you need a few gears to tackle nearly any real trail unless you have legs like an elephant. People do run 24/26, but mostly for DH because it slackens the head angle. I love 24" but I know a lot of people don't - It's certainly great for street and DJ because there is less weight to throw , but on a rough trail it doesn't roll quite as well. If you're going to be 'mountain biking' 26" is probably more suitable,but if you wanna ride park and street too, 24" may be more your bag.
there really arnt many dh'ers with a 24 in the rear because it is a much harsher ride and doesnt like to roll over as many things as a 26 would. a big hit is the only kinda dh bike i know of that is built to be rear 24 only.

I ride 26/24 for street/park and love it. it's a great set-up.

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
man there is an azonic steelhead pro length (not proxl) for $149......
maybe i should consider a build with a budget frame and good components......

any thoughts?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
dooktruck said:
man there is an azonic steelhead pro length (not proxl) for $149......
maybe i should consider a build with a budget frame and good components......

any thoughts?
I think the Steelhead is a good strong frame. They are very popular for DJ in the UK.

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
i'm also kinda interested in the soulcycles stuff (can you tell now i'm more interested in a more inexpensive frame with good components) but i can't find the specs anywhere.

anyone know about soulcycles?

or specifically these frames.
Final pricing and availability of 05 models is listed below.
Titan $165 Gloss Orange/Flat Black New Decal Set
Loki $185 Flat Olive Green/Flat Black New Decal Set
Hooligan $200/$170 Gloss Powder Blue/Flat Black New Decal Set
Session $165 Flat Black

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Bicyclist said:
I would personally ride a Steelhead over a Soul Cycles.
Why?

I think the Loki is the more DJ oriented one.

I do not know anything about angles. You might try emailing soul cycles and asking.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The Titan appears to have a slacker head angle and seat tube by a degree or two. I guess it also has a slightly longer wheelbase. However the Titan also looks more like what I'd expect a DJ built frame to look like, but the colour and range of the shot may be decieving about that.

I'd guess the Loki is supposed to be the more DJ/4X model and the Titan is the freeridey model...

(I know nothing about Soul Cycles BTW)

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
ok soul cycles=best bang for the buck, and the guys r super cool

i have a roscoe, which i love btw. DJ BEAST, wish the chainstays were a little shorter though

email me if you have specific questions-- buckboxley@alltel.net

also you can email chad@ridesoul.com for pricing etc, i dont know when the new site will be ready, hopefully soon.

i reccomend the soul's--not top end but solid and cheep (did i mention the roscoe looks AWESOME?), but its up to u, good luck

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
i sent an email to the contact address at their website....i might just give em a call tomorrow while i'm at work and ask 'em whats up.
i'm thinking i might go with the green LOKI, hopefully i'll be able to get some measurements from them.

i'm definately going with whichever has the shortest chainstays and top tube.....do those pics of the soul frames both have 26" rims on them?