Quantcast

HELP!!!!!Annoying creaking zocchi 888

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
guys i've got an o4 triple 8 and about a few months ago after i had taken it all apart to clean it then put it all back to together.......i go turn the bar to check the headset tightness this weird binding creaking noise happens...especially under come increased friction like rubber tire on a thick carpet....i made sure the stanchoins were both the same lenght tighten everything up to spec and nothing seems to help??? to me it seems its coming from the stanchoins go into lowers.... hell i can really tell it reverbs trhough bars ITS SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!
please some suggestions or maybe you've had the same problem....

thanks
mark, tn

RIDE WINDROCK!

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
try loosening the crowns, and twist the fork between your legs, don't force it, your just trying line everything up. Second, don't over torque the axle bolts, not that the sound would be coming from that, but they have atendency to break. Finally, I would double check that your headset is assembled correctly/working properly. If none of this works, give the guys at MZ a call.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
well its not the headset it did the same with an old one i had and it soed with my new ck too...man i've tried and retired ligning up verything...sometimes its gets better or just makes it worse....
thanks for the input though i really appreciate it

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
mfzbike said:
i made sure the stanchoins were both the same lenght tighten everything up to spec and nothing seems to help??? to me it seems its coming from the stanchoins go into lowers.... hell i can really tell it reverbs trhough bars ITS SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!
please some suggestions or maybe you've had the same problem....
RIDE WINDROCK!
It's comming through the bars.........hmmm.........do the uppers move within the lowers (like there is play back and fourth)??? If there was some play I could see it being a problem and going up to the bars. If the bushings are warn and there's play you'll need some new ones. Though on a newer 888 fork I dunno why this would happen but things aren't always perfect.

If you really think something is wrong with the fork send it to zocchi. You'll spend hours and headaches trying to figure it out when or if there is something wrong they will take care of it. That's a last step I guess.

Make sure your hydro calipers are tight on the fork, make sure your headset is snug to where it should be (use a headlock if the star nut won't get tight enough, hell use one anyways :)) and there's really not much else it could be. If you knew someone that'd let you swap forks I'd try that and see. That would tell you where the problem is almost instantly.

Good luck though, I know it can be frustrating but be patient. The fork deal is a good idea though, swap forks with someone and see if it does it.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
mine did that for a while i greased every bolt that is on the fork because they were bone dry and made a lovely cracking noise when removing them.

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
You may also want to try and remove your bar from the stem. Then clean it and the stem. Then apply a very thin layer of grease to the bar. Reinstall and torque bolts to spec. I have had problems with my bars creaking like that. It was cured by doing just as i said above. Give it a try, it may help.

-tmoney

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
tmoney said:
You may also want to try and remove your bar from the stem. Then clean it and the stem. Then apply a very thin layer of grease to the bar. Reinstall and torque bolts to spec. I have had problems with my bars creaking like that. It was cured by doing just as i said above. Give it a try, it may help.

-tmoney
I've heared conflicting stories on the above suggestion. My generall rule of thumb is that you don't grease clamping surfaces, with the exception of a little bit of grease in the seat tube. I had problems with a creaking bar/stem/fork/headset and I found that the headset spacers were to blame, I was using a stack of 3 or 4 spacers, I made a single large spacer and the creaking all went away. That doesn't mean you have the same problem though. To me it really sounds like your headset bearings are bad or you have them preloaded too much. Check to make sure the crown race is fully seated and the cups are both in straight and flush to the headtube.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Check your front hub too. I had a mysterious noise like that and it was the hub generating a tiny aount of play.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Are you using a 25.4 bar and the red spacers that come stock? When I first had my 888 I used a 25.4 and got some annoying creaks from the stem area, after I switched to a 31.8 bar and tossed the spacers it went away. If you need to use the spacers I agree you should clean everything and use a light lube of some kind - but I mean really light.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Mine use to creak also. I added grease and now its quiet. I am now a firm believer in grease on all bolts, between spacers, between stem and bar, etc. I put a thin layer of grease between everything and I never have creaking problems. If you tighten to specs you wont have problems even with the grease in a few spots it probably shouldn't be.

I hate noises. I have almost completely taken my bike apart before just to fix a small creak.

crash test

Chimp
Jan 26, 2005
Nepaug, CT
The grease suggestions are correct. Grease all of the bolts on the integrated stem, and grease all of the bolts on the fork. It will solve your problem. I have had this happen many times and some grease always solves the problem.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
thanks alot guys....unfortunately iv'e tried all those methods and guess what!!! it still does it...its seems to be its coming from where the stanchions go into the lowers...its like when you trun the bars one stanchion has to in a little bit or something....I DUNNO ANYMORE I HATE BEEING SO ANAL ABOUT CREAKS AND SOUNDS IN MY BIKE...well i guess i'll give zocchi a call

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
mfzbike said:
well its not the headset it did the same with an old one i had and it soed with my new ck too...man i've tried and retired ligning up verything...sometimes its gets better or just makes it worse....
thanks for the input though i really appreciate it
Maybe you need some grease on the headset CUPS???

I mean prior to setting them in the frame....

I had the same problem too and that did it for me

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If you take the fork off the bike, remove the crowns and grab the stanchion can you wiggle it back and forth in the lower? If so, your bushings are shot. If not, maybe your lowers have a crack in them you haven't noticed yet.... perhaps around the bushing?