Quantcast

help choosing a fork

IHardtail

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Which do you guys recommend if I can get both for the same price?

888 sl ata or 66 rc2x?

Thanks,
Mark

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
depends on what your wanting, the 888 makes a good race fork and freeride, the 66 rc2x is a proven freeride part.
I have both the 888 wc and the new 66 rc3, the 66 is on it now due inpart to Im mostly freerideing and DJ this season with the racing Ill put the 888 or 40 on it but other than that akll around riding is 66 for me. Good, strong, light and super plush.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
depends on what your wanting, the 888 makes a good race fork and freeride, the 66 rc2x is a proven freeride part.
I have both the 888 wc and the new 66 rc3, the 66 is on it now due inpart to Im mostly freerideing and DJ this season with the racing Ill put the 888 or 40 on it but other than that akll around riding is 66 for me. Good, strong, not light but super plush.
oh, im sorry, i thought you said light

IHardtail

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
By the way, I live in Costa Rica an race downhill here. The trails are extrmely fast, technical and very rocky.

I am guessing the 888 ata is a better choice since I race and that is pretty much the only type of riding I do.

Anyway, I would still appreciate your guys opinion.

Finally, another question. I know that there is an ata fix for the 888 but does anyone know that if the travel does start going down; can I fix it by just taping down the knob (which is a lot easier to do)?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
if i'm not mistaken marzocchi likes to weigh their stuff with no oil and no steerer. don't hold me to this statement though.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My Marathon XC fork is a quarter lb heavier than listed. You suck Loren.
thats an older one, they used to weigh them without the steerer. I think they wised up and started posting more accurate weight, Notice in my post how i mentioned they are claimed weights. That being said that 55 for that AC was SPOT on as far as weight goes.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the 66RC3 is 1/10 of a pound off the totem solo air, and like a 1rd of a pound lighter than the totem coil. This is off of claimed weights, but that 55 we had in was spot on the websites weight with the axle
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAForksMTB.asp?IDFolder=113&IDOggetto=55966&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

Look at the international marz site. The weights are completely different from the US ones(7.24lbs for 66rc3). More possible imho as the wider stanctions are supposedly as thick as 07 models.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAForksMTB.asp?IDFolder=113&IDOggetto=55966&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

Look at the international marz site. The weights are completely different from the US ones(7.24lbs for 66rc3). More possible imho as the wider stanctions are supposedly as thick as 07 models.
You may be right that the US site is off, I never said it was accurate, and mentioned they are claimed weight because i know claimed weights aren't always accurate. I was only pointing out that it was looking like marz was doing a better job with there accuracy, being that the 1 08 zokey I have seen was spot on

Apr 29, 2008
Maryland
if your gonna race with it, go with the 888. the triple crown wont hinder you for racing and just dh. plus an extra inch of travel will pay off. go with the single crown only if you are gonna be riding freeride (they can def. take dh, but if you can get 888 instead use that for dh)