Quantcast

help finding an aggressive HT

YSE

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
NY / Israel
Hi guys !

Looking for a second bike for aggressive trail/single track riding. Would like a hardtail that can handle a 6 inch fork. id love to hear from you guys 2 things:

What frames/bikes should i be looking for ? (thought about the Banshee Morphine but having trouble finding one..)

also, where should i be looking ? looking for a used one due to low budget.. where are the right places to be looking ? (ebay? craigslist?)
Thanx !

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have a Tranny and am impressed. Really good ride quality and handling. I'm running it light though with a 100mm fork. I think it will accept a longer travel fork though. I know a fellow who rides a Transition TransAm which he runs a 36 TALAS on and he's in love with the bike.

Chromag make quite a selection of Steel frames if that's something that might interest you. Cove offer the Hummer in titanium, Stiffee in aluminum and Hand Job in steel. That Banshee Morphine is no longer being made as far as I know. Weighed a ton too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Tonic Fab Barnstormer. Easily at the top of my really really want list right now.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I assume from the fact that you posted in the XC/AM forum that you're looking for an aggro trail bike. If you're more after a freeride bike (like the Morphine) whatever Chromag's burliest bike is called would fit the bill.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The Trans Am fits your needs to a T. It might be the best handling snappiest most enjoyable hardtail I have ever ridden. Stop debating and order one now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If you are looking for a long travel hardtail - there is a slew of them out there now.........pick one that fits your desired geometry and budget (they range from $250 on up to $1250 and higher depending on who makes em etc. etc.).

If you have a low budget - www.unrealcycles.com has good prices on On One 456 frames and maybe sale prices on aggressive HTs from Orange as well.

Let us know what you get!

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
There are a lot of high-dollar ideas in here, but I just picked up a brand-new 09 Jamis Komodo for $450 shipped from Jenson. It's by no means the best bike out there but it's solid, it's burly and it has tons of potential. Hydro brakes a RS Pike are apparently the only mods needed for this bike. I'd like a bit softer saddle as this one is like plastic (but not broken in yet, so...). Plans are fork, hydros, saddle, lock-ons and new platforms. Anything after that is just bonus :D

Just to throw my hat in the ring:

Last edited: