Quantcast

help finding an aggressive HT

YSE

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
NY / Israel
Hi guys !

Looking for a second bike for aggressive trail/single track riding. Would like a hardtail that can handle a 6 inch fork. id love to hear from you guys 2 things:

What frames/bikes should i be looking for ? (thought about the Banshee Morphine but having trouble finding one..)

also, where should i be looking ? looking for a used one due to low budget.. where are the right places to be looking ? (ebay? craigslist?)
Thanx !

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
456 summer season was my bike for a while (it got stolen). it is fun, but it is not a flickable bike. if you want something "poppy" be sure to go smaller in the sizing or look elsewhere.

for a good selection of new stuff, check
http://unrealcycles.com/
they were awesome under the original ownership, and seem to be keeping things up since the management changed a few years ago.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if you can find an old Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto, i'd suggest it. the thing is a bit heavy, and not sporting refined lines, but it is a solid bike. i still have the frame as a beater frankenbuild for around town and it just keeps rolling. the handling as a trail bike was good with my pike. i ran it at about 120mm for most trails, but it could handle up to 150mm forks. it was stretched enough for trail riding but still more flickable than the on-one.

also check Soul Cycles http://www.ridesoul.com
the older models had a loyal following, and some of the "new" ones are on close out.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
2 bikes:
Sinister Ridge - aluminum, beefy (as in pretty much indestructable), fabulous geometry and workmanship. Stiff and super responsive. Accelerates off the back side of obstacles like a bat out of hell.

Chromag Stylus - CrMo, beefy, fabulous geo and workmanship. A bit more forgiving than the Ridge, and a superb ride.

Set up either one with a Lyrik and you are set to go.

EDIT: The Banshee is a complete TANK of a bike. Overkill if you ask me.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I am gonna highly recommend the Ragley Blue Pig. I have rode it on both curvy flat singletrack and downhill at Highland bike park and it is very impressive, stable at speed but still maneuverable and quick. It is very slack in the headtube but the more upright seat angle puts you in good pedal position. It has some innovative features in removable cable guides and integrate brake mount, great mud clearance, nice gussets. It is the same designer as On-one and nukeproof (brant richards).
I think its a great value, that is made even better because it is steel and will last for a very long time.

read up on it, definetely excellent option http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/News.aspx?NewsID=642

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL

Those never made it into production I'm pretty sure. Maybe Stickman can chime in on what the status is on that bike. Pimp bike for sure although the cassette is a bit big for that type of bike!!

Last edited:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
i have done many runs @ Killington on a Sinister Ridge equipped with a sc 66 or 55 set up single speed. the thing was like a pin ball bouncing down the trail like a dh fully except a little more wild.
It was a fast bike but could hold a straight line when pointed. It was beefcake, and allowed you be stupid on a hardtail. it was a blast to ride until your arms and hands got whupped after 4 or 5 runs.

YSE

Chimp
Mar 12, 2008
NY / Israel
Thanx ! ill start looking at the different bikes suggested here. Also the sites. thanx very much

if you guys have more suggestions - just kept it rollin !

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Plenty o other bikes with geo that weigh less and do the same job. The banshee is primitive in the current scheme of things. Not bad, but overbuilt and aluminum. Steel is a nice ride.

Chimp
Mar 23, 2010
Hi guys !

Looking for a second bike for aggressive trail/single track riding. Would like a hardtail that can handle a 6 inch fork. id love to hear from you guys 2 things:

What frames/bikes should i be looking for ? (thought about the Banshee Morphine but having trouble finding one..)

also, where should i be looking ? looking for a used one due to low budget.. where are the right places to be looking ? (ebay? craigslist?)
Thanx !
for the win:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23226

some interesting info:

http://www.hardtailnation.co.uk/?p=29

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just wait until I finish the one I'm building right now.
I managed to snag one of (if not THE) last Soul Cycles Sluggo.

I dug the Morphine, although I did not dig the dropouts on it. Slapped a 888 up front and that was my DH bike for awhile...it was a fun bike! Heavy though.