Quantcast

help for my dad

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
my dad rides cross country, he currently has an older trek hardtail, but is wanting to get a full sqish. What would be a good bike for around 1200? he likes the descent more than the climb, but he hates walking, so it has to be able to descend, but climb really well also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And he would really like to keep it around 1200, not too much more. thanks. o and he doesnt want more than 5 inches of travel in the rear. thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like the 2005 Jekyll. It is a top notch design, highest quality (not just high) frame, and a decent rear shock. It does have disc brakes and a typical $1200 part set. The fork is average, but FS bikes under $1500 cannot expect Fox 36's or Marz 888's.

The bike is $1200 retail, so it is definitely in your budget.

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
sanjuro said:
I like the 2005 Jekyll. It is a top notch design, highest quality (not just high) frame, and a decent rear shock. It does have disc brakes and a typical $1200 part set. The fork is average, but FS bikes under $1500 cannot expect Fox 36's or Marz 888's.

The bike is $1200 retail, so it is definitely in your budget.
i cant think of too many xc bikes with 36's or 888's anyways, thanks for the help guys. i'm still not sure what he's going to get, but hes looking at a few specialized and a couple santa cruz's and some others.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
aznfreerdr08 said:
i cant think of too many xc bikes with 36's or 888's anyways, thanks for the help guys. i'm still not sure what he's going to get, but hes looking at a few specialized and a couple santa cruz's and some others.
I know Jekyll is not the most popular, but I would give it the weight scale test, and see what the results are.

I did it with a R500 road bike and another brand in the same price. I was really amazed to see a 1.5 lb difference. On the bottom-end, C/Dale gives you amazing value because they give you the best frame but lower spec'ed parts. Other companies give you a lesser frame and sometimes slightly better parts.